LX Forums Forum banner

Car was totaled... Need advice on what to get next...

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  negro_jak 
#1 ·
I haven't been on here in a long time nor have I made it to the events that I normally go to every year like lx and beyond and mshs events. Life has thrown me some curves in the past year and as of two weeks ago it tried to break me. As the title states my car was totaled. Hit by a drunk driver and is done. I loved that car. It wasn't perfect but I did everything myself and I was proud of that. Normally when I get a new vehicle it is when I'm ready for it and have done a ton of research. I know exactly what I want the car to be, what parts and tuning options are available. Well here I am caught with my pants down. I still have time but I definitely have to start doing my research. I had researched everything I could fit into my brain for my 06 300c and had a decent amount of knowledge to be able to slowly work on my end goal. So this is where I need a little help. Since everyone here knows the most about these cars and have tons of experience I want your opinions on what I should get next.
For me it's between
2011-2014(preferably 2012 cuz I found a ton of them) gen charger srt8 392
Second gen jeep srt8 392
First gen jeep srt8 6.1l
Challenger 392
Challenger 6.1l
I am really leaning towards the 2012 charger because the more I look at it the more I like it. Also the four doors with three kids is nice but not mandatory due to the fact that my kids are old enough to buckle them selves and this car will not be the primary vehicle. My ultimate goal is a 9 second daily driver with multiple power adders. I'm not very knowledgeable about second gens so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Which vehicle would be the best base to start with? What model year is the tuning cut off? Are any of those vehicles equipped with something that hasn't been improved upon or upgradable(like nag1 from paramount, tuning, axles, diff, etc.)? Is the 392 a good power plant? Is a 9 second dd possible with any of the second gens?
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. The guys like Erik from BFNY, modern muscle people, the guys at amp, and the tuners (sorry I'm having a brain fart and can't think of specific names right now) your experiences with projects you all have worked on. All the way to the owners of any of these vehicle from mild to wild. Anything you got I want to hear.
Of course here are the pics of the totaled 300 cuz I know you guys love pics!
Thanks in advance. Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

See less See more
#6 ·
Thankfully I wasn't in it. Unfortunately the mother of my kids was. It was hit almost head on. Right on the driver corner. Car spun 6 times, went airborne through a light pole then landed rear end into a tree. The wheel and axle hit a different tree taking a chunk out of it then landed 200 feet away. Some how she made it through with no broken bones but has a closed head injury. Memory loss and temporary loss of some basic motor skills but gonna live. The passenger front wheel was buried up to the lug nuts with no trench leading to it so it landed like that. When I saw the pics I thought the force of the impact into the ground pushed the strut tower through the hood but seeing the car in person that's not the case. My guess would be part of the light pole ripped through it. Whatever it was it shredded the hood. The marks on the light pole start about 3ft up or off the ground. The drunk driver was speeding south bound and she was driving north bound on a 40mph road. I'm not really good at physics but that sounds like a pretty hard impact. Insurance called today and said it is for sure a total loss but I figured that.

#10 ·
I'm really glad to hear she made it out of that alive and wish her the best in her recovery. After seeing those pics, I'm also glad I own a Charger. The Hellcat would be sweet but it already has a hefty price tag. Another modded SRT may better meet your expectations.

#11 ·
Glad everyone is okay. I don't have any help, but I can relate. I've spent all these years concentrating on my car and know next to nothing about the later models. I'd be just as lost. I'm sure the well wishes will die down and the good info will start flowing.

#12 ·
My ultimate goal is a 9 second daily driver with multiple power adders
As of now, I don't believe any 2nd Gens have hit 9 sec range. In addition, I believe the only 8-9 sec DD was/is a 08 superbee with a forged block and twin turbos. To get that into a 2nd Gen, I'm going to say you'll be without a car for a while (while it's being built), and it'll likely not be very comfortable for passengers because of the roll cage and all.

A more realistic goal is mid 10 sec, which can be done for a lot less, and more reliably. A fully forged 392 or low 400 CI with a 3.6 kenne bell and a well built drivetrain should do the trick.

#14 ·
Man o' man!!! Lookin' at those photos, I'm happy to hear the injuries weren't far worse. I spent many years as a Collision Investigator and I have a "professional" interest in seeing photos of vehicles involved in major collision, in which the occupants weren't gravely injured.

In looking at the photos, it seems your car did its job. The damage is obviously beyond major, but by crushing and "shedding parts", the energy of the collision was dissipated, rather than being absorbed by the occupants. It's an old cliché, but it is true... a car can be replaced, the people in it can't.

Hope your kid's mom's recovery is quick and complete...

#15 ·
+ whatever on considering yourself fortunate. Buy the wife a lottery ticket.

And yes, shooting for a 9 sec DD is a tough job that's gonna require some deep pockets and a whole lot of trade offs.

Hell, even 10's in a DD 2nd gen is gonna cost you some big coin, but will be more street friendly.

#16 ·
Wow, glad she is okay. Amazing impact, the car protected her very well. No doubt there will be some lingering injuries as even belted her head would have been thrown around in there a few times, first from the frontal with the DUI, and then rearward as the car hit the tree....judging from the V impact in the trunk area.

A buddy has a 2006 charger with an arrington 426 and a magnusson. runs 10.3s at full weight.

#17 ·
hey eric..so sorry to hear this happened to your wife and 300. hope she gets better soon!
i couldnt make it to LXNB this year, but figured i would have seen you at the Woodward LX party (probably just missed ya).
Anyways, i finally picked up a 2012 SRT Charger earlier this month. (blue streak...searched for about 1.5+ years to find one).
And still have my 07 R/T.
https://www.facebook.com/3525456148...2545614887580/470885086386965/?type=1&theater

#18 ·
9 second dd is a goal to eventually get to which I may never get to but want to try. I guess it wouldn't be a true daily driver cuz it wouldn't be used in the winter and it would be a third vehicle. I guess more of a weekend warrior. I just can't decide if I want to stay with the 6.1 that I have some idea about or to go for the 392 and have to learn everything all over again. I originally wanted a challenger since I was forced into a four door due to really young children but now that they are older and can buckle themselves I could do a two door. Then I was leaning towards the jeep(first gen... Second hasn't really grown on me yet) but I know most of them guys are running turbos and I don't know crap about a turbo. I can always learn just don't know if I want to go turbo. Then I looked into the charger and I just love the look. So I'm really thinking the charger is gonna be it. I guess my concerns are that tuning isn't limited on the 392, the trans, diff and axle upgrades from paramount will work on it, and what not or are available. I want to make sure I'm not limited to what I can do like they were when they first came out. Parts are available, i don't have to fabricate everything to make it go fast and that I'm not limited in what I can do until a company decides it's worth offering anything. Basically make sure it's not anymore limited than first gens in those aspects. Also what years are still untunable?
Rich... I didn't even make it to Woodward this year. I wanted to but my son was in hell week for football, baby momma was having medical issues and Woodward didn't fit in the plans this year. I was really bummed out i couldn't go. It's only 20 minutes away and i wanted to go see if any of you guys made it up this year. That sucks you were up here and I didn't go. I need to get a car and get working so I can head down there next year. Love your new ride and still love the green machine.... Looking good my man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.