• 5000km

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • 10000km

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • 15000km

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 20000km

Votes: 3 6.3%

Mobil 1 synthetic oil - how long between oil changes?

9K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  GoManGo_1269 
#1 ·
I just switched over to mobil 1 synthetic oil today. My question is, how long should I wait between oil changes?

#3 ·
MoonDoggie, I was wondering the exact same thing this morning as I too made the switch to Mobil1. Small world huh.

I'm going to stay at 3000 mile changes becuase in reading the bottle it says something to the effect of "to maintain your warranty, still follow your autos oil change sensor, or recommended mileage interval".

#4 ·
MagnumSXT said:
MoonDoggie, I was wondering the exact same thing this morning as I too made the switch to Mobil1. Small world huh.

I'm going to stay at 3000 mile changes becuase in reading the bottle it says something to the effect of "to maintain your warranty, still follow your autos oil change sensor, or recommended mileage interval".
That sounds costly. I heard from a guy @ work you can go 20,000km between changes. I just wanted to hear what others are doing.

#6 ·
How long between is up to you -- I go 6-7000 miles (I guess that's in the 10,000 KM area) because I think that's adequate and that's how I justify the synthetic oil change cost (1 synthetic change for 2 dino oil changes).

The AMSOIL crowd (from my experience) says 25,000 miles with a filter change at 12,500.

#11 ·
I think 6K miles (isn't that about 10K Km?) is safe.
What I want to know is why WallyWorld is ALWAYS out of the stuff. They have every possible weight except 5W-20. Sometimes I can find one or two quarts left, if I'm lucky.

#12 ·
Chrysler Maintenance Schedule "B" mandates oil and filter changes every 3,000 miles (4,828 km) or at each three month interval - whichever comes sooner - to maintain warranty coverage. Since I purchased 7/70 Max Care with the car, you can bet I will stick with that.

If you don't care about your warranty coverage, you can change oil on any schedule you feel is "right" for you.

#13 · (Edited)
But schedule 'A' lets you go 6K miles and still maintains the warranty - even w/o the good stuff (synthetic oil).

#14 ·
The manual says no difference in change intervals for using synthetic. I was doing every 5000 miles with regular oil, based on a 60 minutes report long ago, and have been doing so for a long time.

Now my Charger, just got it's first change at 5000 miles, changing out the factory oil, and I put Royal Purple 5-20 in it at considerable more expense. I would like to go 10000 miles and I'm sure I could, but the warrenty may be an issue.

#17 ·
MooNDoGGie said:
I just switched over to mobil 1 synthetic oil today. My question is, how long should I wait between oil changes?
I did a search for Mobil 1 in the Used Oil Analysis section over on the BobIsTheOilGuy forum (everything you would ever want to know about lubricants can be found there) and found this http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003572#000000. It is a lab report on Mobil 1 5W20 in a 5.7 Hemi at 5,080 miles. The lab recommended going to a 6,000 mile oil change next time. I could not find a M1 analysis on a 3.5 DC engine.

A UOA from your engine with you driving it will be the best indicator.

#19 ·
I am typically at the 3k mark ( wtf is the KM thingie you Canadians keep using ?? :)

I did 3800 on my last change and I sent in the oil for a report to Blackstone labs, I did 5200 on this one and thats going out monday for the same testing. I will not gi over 5k miles even on the M1.

Oil changes are cheap maintance to keep a car happy and running well. I know someone on this forum uses Amzoil and does the 25k miles or 1 year changes on his cars.

If you want to take a look at an oil report take a lookie at my sig link, I have the report posted.

-R

#20 ·
I've done 3-4,000 miles from Mobil 1. I just bought a couple of cases of Amsoil on the web, which was cheaper than I could find Mobil 1 for, and they say 7,500 miles is their recommended interval for this oil. I haven't been able to find the longer-interval Mobil 1 full-synthetic, so I went with the Amsoil. With the longer interval and the cheaper price, it's hard to see the conflict.

#21 ·
Poco Askew said:
But schedule 'A' lets you go 6K miles and still maintains the warranty - even w/o the good stuff (synthetic oil).
Yes, schedule "A" is for cars that are not normally operated under the following conditions:

• Day or night temperatures are below 0 degrees C (32 F) -- northern states beware ---
  • Stop-and-go driving
  • Extensive engine idling
  • Driving in dusty conditions -- west Texas, NM, AZ, etc ---
  • Short trips of less than 16KM (10 Miles)
  • More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather above 32 degrees C (90 F) --- OOPS!! I LIVE IN TEXAS ---
  • Trailer towing
  • Taxi, police or delivery service (commercial service)
  • Off road or desert operation --- look out if you live in AZ or NM ---
  • If equipped for and operating with E-85 (ethanol) fuel
Folks in the hotter southern states like mine are automatically on Schedule "B" and the stealerships will affirm this if you check with their service departments.

And the SRT-8 models are all required to use Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40 depending on the lowest temperatures encountered during normal use. No other synthetic has passed the Chrysler spec on lubricating oil for the SRT-8 so far, so Mobil 1 is the only choice. There is no tolerance at all for dino oil with those engines.

#23 ·
i actually know this answer....I can get you an address Monday.......

As far as HAVING TO RUN oil brand type XXXX and changing every XXX.

BULL CRAP!

If your motor dies after 180,000 miles and you take it apart and find out why it gave out, I will bet you it has nothing to do with changing the oil every 3K, 5K, or 10K.

Its more important to be on a schedual and do maintenance,,,,,,,,,,have a plan to change out the tranny fluid, the air filter, the fuel filter, rotate tires, plugs, and so on.

But don't sale me on the idea that my tranny won't last as long because I change fluid @ 75K vs 50K or that I change oil every 6K vs 3K.

When DOdge starts making oil then I'll listen to Dodge.....but they have a hard enough time making a car just plain RUN!

THry're lucky they made something I thought was cool........

#24 ·
If one has a major mechanical engine failure without proof of compliance with all provisions of warranty requirements (i.e. oil changes on schedule with proper lubricant) it is quite likely one will need to hire a lawyer and go to court to try to enforce the warranty one paid for.

Fighting city hall is neither a cheap nor pleasant experience, and before long one will be hit with the rule of diminishing returns... it would be cheaper to just pay for the repairs than to try to force DCX to do it under warranty.

I change my oil on schedule "B" with the "recommended" lubricant in part to be fully warrantable and in part because my low-temp thermostat and driving style put additional acid load on the engine. I bought a performance car and drive it like one. If you bought a cruiser and granny foot the thing all the time, then your needs are different from mine.

#25 ·
Analyze

used oil analysis is cheap. oil is cheap. filters are cheap.

Engines are expensive. So are auto transmissions.

We run a fleet of trucks on Amsoil. These units use PTO driven equipment and are usually never shut off until the end of a long day. Extended idling, long periods of operation while stationary, driving in traffic, and they weigh over 9000 pounds! We have one van with over 300000 miles on it and it is all original!!!!

If you do not analyze the oil you do not KNOW if it needed changing or not. You may also wish to familiarize yourself with the Bypass Filtration systems out there. Some are very effective in protecting your expensive engine.

As far as any vehicle with a warranty, you'd better have receipts and documentation for everything just in case. Don't give them a reason!

#26 ·
Wow thanks for the input guys. Trouble is there is so many voting up and down the scale its hard to make an educated opinion. The reason I put synthetic oil in the car was to extend the life of the engine but also to save a bit of money on oil changes. I put approx 150km per day on my car commuting to work. Its mostly country driving mileage. I was paying approx. $35.oo every two months to change the oil. This mobil1 cost me $116.00 (including tax). So i thought I could atleast double my mileage. It would still be in warranty spec and I'd have premium oil for subzero driving and the like.

I noticed only a handful of you did participate in the poll and a few people didn't know what KM measured. Just so you guys know an approximate measurement is 3000 miles is apprx. 5000km.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.