LX Forums Forum banner

Brake light not illuminating, but night lights work ?

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mehroz 
#1 ·
My father has a set of Smoked LED taillights for his 2007 300C, and during the day (lights off), his passenger brake light does not work...

But if you turn his lights on, the same LEDs for the brake light work... Just won`t brighten during Braking :banghead:

Is this a known issue ? I could not find a thread answering this.... If the lights did not entirely work, I would not be so stumped.

Does he need new taillights ? Sometimes his low-beams (HIDs) will not work, but after you shut them off, and turn them back on they will work... Don`t know if this has anything to do with it..

any help is appreciated, he wants me to take a look tomorrow before he gets pulled over..

#2 ·
If both brake lights won't work, I'd say check the brake light fuse. My 07 Magnum is fuse 15 in the rear box, yours may be the same. Since it's just one side that doesn't work, check the wiring. If they are connected properly and the wiring is not damaged, it's prolly a faulty brake light. If that's the case, you may need to replace em. I have the same tail lights and I don't think there's any way to service the bulbs. Once they're out, they're out. HID problems are beyond common, buy only cuz HIDs are a total PITA. I don't think the two problems are related.

#5 ·
I kind of thought that... (Heard these are a known for problems unfortunately)

Sounds like the right side is most likely just defective. There are two separate circuits in there for tail/brake, so unless the wiring is damaged leading to the taillight, the problem is internal.

Easy enough to double check even if you don't have a meter or any electrical skills; got the stock taillight to swap in and see if it behaves correctly?

Richard
I will have to seek them out and try that, thanks!

Have you yourself done any electrical work to the vehicle anywhere ????? lol
I........ no, lol.... But the HIDs were supposedly plug-n-play, but the headlights he has with the Halo Ring/LEDs came with wiring... And hence the battery being in the trunk, I believe his buddy had "spliced" and tacked the wires together. :modding:

I bet that is the issue ?

#3 ·
My father has a set of Smoked LED taillights for his 2007 300C, and during the day (lights off), his passenger brake light does not work...

But if you turn his lights on, the same LEDs for the brake light work... Just won`t brighten during Braking :banghead:
Sounds like the right side is most likely just defective. There are two separate circuits in there for tail/brake, so unless the wiring is damaged leading to the taillight, the problem is internal.

Easy enough to double check even if you don't have a meter or any electrical skills; got the stock taillight to swap in and see if it behaves correctly?

Richard

#4 ·

Is this a known issue ? I could not find a thread answering this.... If the lights did not entirely work, I would not be so stumped.

Does he need new taillights ? Sometimes his low-beams (HIDs) will not work, but after you shut them off, and turn them back on they will work... Don`t know if this has anything to do with it..

any help is appreciated, he wants me to take a look tomorrow before he gets pulled over..
Have you yourself done any electrical work to the vehicle anywhere ????? lol

#6 ·
Did you get your brake lights to work? This is an old post... I hope you found a solution.

I just added LED bulbs in my smoked tail lights in a 2008 300c and the brake lights are not getting brighter when I press the brake pedal. The same bulbs are working as tail lights and rear turn signal. Also note the 3rd brake light in the trunk is working. I have checked all the rear fuse box fuses. Can't seem to find the problem.
If the brake pedal switch had an issue, it shouldn't light up the 3rd brake light?

#7 ·
Your issue isn't really the same as the original poster's.

In your case, are you 100% sure you installed 3057-type (dual filament style) replacements for the brake/tail position? While all the bulb positions in the car's taillight housing call for a 3057 type, the fact is all the other positions are just a single filament style (like a 3056) - the other taillight, signal, and reverse, are all just 1 function. The brake/tail bulb you're experiencing trouble with is dual function so you must use an LED replacement in there that is the equivalent of a 3057/3157/etc.

If your brake switch was bad your 3rd brake light would not work. You can further rule out any other problem beside the bulb by swapping a regular 3057 incandescent bulb back into place.

Richard

#8 ·
thank you for the reply Richard.

I did try the old incandescent and they are doing the same thing too. Tail light and turn signal works fine and no response with brake pedal. I bought these bulbs of Amazon and these are 3057. Lot of reviews did talk about them being good brake lights. Also I checked the number of filaments on the original bulb and LED. They are the same.

I did have to pull pull out the filaments on the LED bulbs to make the turn signal work after first installation. But if filament was the case then the incandescent bulbs should work... is it possible that they could've damaged the housing?

#10 ·
I cannot flip the LED bulb. It only works one way ( + / - ). It was mentioned in the product description.

Maybe my English was wrong when I said filaments. I meant the 4 wires at the bottom of the bulb which powers the bulb (What are they called) are the same on LED and incandescent bulbs.

Btw I'm in the MiddleEast [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Put all the old bulbs back in and verify that they all work. If they do, start switching one pair at a time and check the result each time before moving to next pair.
Leave turn signals until the last pair to be switched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.