Post Thanks / Like

Need advice solving a possible coolant problem.

Hey guys, sorry if I posted this in the wrong category, couldn't seem to find a troubleshooting thread.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8. I've been having trouble with some overheating problems recently. I first noticed that my car would overheat at idle. Temperature would drop when I would start driving again. I haven't noticed any puddles of coolant underneath the car, or no coolant on the oil dipstick so I don't think a blown head gasket is the culprit. However, I have noticed smelling coolant when I would get out of it sometimes. I just topped off the coolant a couple of months ago when it started getting cold in my area, so I also don't think that I should have to fill it up again this soon so maybe there is a leak somewhere. The latest thing I noticed last night was that the heater would start blowing cold air, also at idle. I've asked the Dodge Dealership mechanics advice before concerning the overheating (I have an extended warranty) and he said it sounded to him like one of the fans was going out, which is why it overheats only at idle.

For the sake of this conversation, if it was a leak, why would there not be any puddles anywhere when I stop the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a faulty thermostat?

Do you hear/see the fans running at idle when it gets hot?

SRT sways, Brembos & 3.06 / LMI True CAI / 22" Boss 337's / StreetEdge coilovers / JBA headers / SOLO exhaust / Grant wheel w/AMG Paddles usingTRS300's wireless shift controller / CMR tune by Overkill

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be catching in the belly pan under the engine. If it isn't a huge leak, it could stay in there until you drive and then get blown out.Have you checked the hoses? Water pump?
    Join the Caravan for SF10!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SF10caravan
    Twitter: @SF10Caravan
    Web: sf10caravan.com

2012 300SRT--Mods so far....CMR tune from Toona, tinted taillights, Kooks LTs and high flow cats, soon to be released catback, Mopar lowering springs, HIDs in the driving lights, tinted windows, LMI true CAI, and a bunch of BT bling.

Powered by PWR Tooned by Johan Blinged by Billet Technologies

2009 MBP GCSRT8 (SOLD) / 2006 Brilliant Black Charger SRT (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    just topped off the coolant a couple of months ago when it started getting cold in my area, so I also don't think that I should have to fill it up again this soon so maybe there is a leak somewhere. The latest thing I noticed last night was that the heater would start blowing cold air, also at idle.

I think your saying you just had to fill it up again?
    if your heater is blowing cold air probably it either doesnt have water flowing THOUGH it or it has air IN IT.

If your level is droping and no puddles and you smell coolant it may be going through the engine.

what is the temp when cruizin?

if it 's overheating at idle it could be the water pump. it might also be the fans.

I suggest you get it to the dealer as you have the extended warranty and tell them yu have no heat, high temp and you smell coolant.

If ou tell them you aded coolant make sure you tel them it was the proper kind, I cant thionk of the spec right now, sorry.
    08 R/T LMI TRUE CAI, eagle intake, 6.1 injectors. Modern Muscle Performance Group 85mm Ported TB, big CAM, and ported eagle heads. SLP UD pulley. 6.1 timing set,and lifters, PSI springs custom pushrods, cometic head gaskets, 11:1 comp. American Racing 1 3/4" long tube headers, highflow cats with Magnaflow 3" mufflers, 4" tips., catch can 170 stat. Builder Bill rebuilt tranny, stage 2 valve body, 3500 stall TC, AFI flexplate. Getrag 3.73 MTCM. BC Coilovers. Pistol grip shifter. 417 RWHP, Dyno Tuned by Brent @DTP.
    NEW04/6/14: 11.744 @ 117 mph .

Post Thanks / Like
    It is the fans. Order the Dorman set from Rockauto for about $100 and be done with it. The fans have been the problem in the last umpteeth posts describing this problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may be the fans, but before you just replace parts, see if they are working. First just open the hood and see if the fans are there, if all the blades are there, and if they spin freely. While you are there look around for signs of leakage, lie white warter stains, thats an indication of coolant leaks . Then drive the car and stop someplace safe , under conditions you think it will overheat and open the hood. Look at the fans. see if they are on, listen to see if they are in low speed or high speed.
    See what you can figure out from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    By chance do you get the notice of the recall on the cooling fans...? It may be the fans and if you haven't got the recall done please do so.... If not, start looking into a water pump or radiator serviced..... The cheapest of them all is the thermostat....

Looking for Carbon Fiber Or Fiberglass Parts ask me for more info!!!!
    Formerly Known as dntnvme

Post Thanks / Like
    @Rupert - Actually, now that you mention it, when the mechanic and I went out to pop the hood, we did see white water spots all over the black plastic parts throughout the engine. But again, even if it might be a simple fix, I was afraid to touch it myself due to the extended warranty. What's going to irritate me is that I might possibly have to pay 93 dollars in labor for a 10 minute fix. Oh well. If it was a malfunction, I was hoping that it was the thermostat so I could ask if they could put a 180 in it or something, but I bet they would have to stick with the factory specs. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

P.S.- Is there a troubleshooting thread on this page? If so, what's the name? Couldn't find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    BLKSRT - Here is the link to the cooling fans recall... http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/co...rs-3-s-302989/ I look for the other thread as well....

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another thread regarding over heating as well... Good luck bro!!!! http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/ca...g-help-170610/

Post Thanks / Like
    You have used the correct coolant and not mixed in the wrong stuff over time?
    2010 Jeep GC SRT8
    2009 Challenger SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this exact problem and the solution was replacing the stuck open thermostat. I didn't notice the heater problem though. Doesn't mean I didn't have it. Was summer in Central California so heaters don't get used.

Can you *hear* the fans going on and off? Sit around and let the car get hot at idle and if no fans, thats definitely a bad thing. If fans come on, spend $10 and replace the tstat.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the fans are kicking on and everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the water spots (white in color) in the engine bay and the smell of antifreeze , you have a leak !! most extended warranties do not cover maintenance issues i.e. thermostats/hoses /belts etc..fans would be a different story if indeed your cars falls under the recall for them.

You most likely have air in the system due too leak causing high temps and no heat @ idle , you will need to identify leak, radiator pressure tester most likely will find it can be had at most parts stores relatively cheap if not a tool loan program.

On another note , I would refrain from driving it till you find the issue, these engines do not like to be overheated and are famous for dropping valve seats due to over heating issues ..and you dont want that !
    Last edited by MangoBill; 02-20-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Mopar CAI / JBA Shorties and Catless Mids / Zoomers Stainless Cat back /Spartan Cam 214/218 @50 114 LSA / 180 stat / 09 Eagle Intake / 93 CAI Tune

Share This Thread