Post Thanks / Like

Subwoofer Problems

Hey Folks,

It's been a quiet year and havnt had any problems I've done a good number of mods since upgrading from my '10 Charger to '11 Charger.. until this weekend. A friend of mine with an upgraded system (7 or 9 can't remember) and he upgraded his sub with after market JL, so naturally I inherited his stock 8" Sub. I have the 6 speaker Premium Alpine upgrade with 276w amp. We plugged it in, but it's not moving, it's drawing power but no sound. My amp should be more then enough to move the 8". so I have a few question;

1) Does the Dealer have to enable the sub via computer.
    2) Does the amp auto detect load and enable by itself.
    or
    3) Is there a switch or Jumper I have to enable.

I have done 2 days of searching and found no info on the stock system, so any theories and or help is appreciated. This is nothing like adding a 700w amp and a 12" sub, but adding stock to stock, which comes from the factory. Thanks in advance.
    "Do or Do Not. There is No Try"
    2011 SXT+; K&N CAI, Magnaflow '15492' Cat-Back Duals, Eibach Pro Kit, 20" Incubus Banshee w/ Goodyear 245/45ZR20 RS/A's, 392 IAT Sensor Swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Alpine 276w does not have a subwoofer amp. Either find an alpine 500w factory amp, or get a discreet subwoofer amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    what he said...that line is putting out-its just a low level signal thats all.
    use it for a after market amp for in put using a convertor.. 100 watts [true power] is more than enough power for a amp to push that factory 8.

I'd be unstoppable if it wasnt for Physics & Law enforcement

Post Thanks / Like
    IF its the 8 inch for the rear deck a 100 watt amp true power is good
    If its the kicker corner sub 500 watts will do the trick

Post Thanks / Like
    it's the Dodge factory 8", so what is the part I need to purchase for it and average cost? Pt number would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    figured it could stay stock as it is a 276w amp that i have with the alpine system and all the wiring was in place didn't expect to have to go get another amp to run paraelle to the stock amp. that's not how the 400 and 500 w system runs is it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    They probably have a subwoofer circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12 300 SRT (Bright silver) Registry 1176

Gone but not forgotten
    06 300 touring (silver)
    08 300C (blue)
    12 300 SRT (black)

Post Thanks / Like
    we looked at his and mine and all the wiring and amps looks simular in design and set up so Im kinda confused why the sub works in his but not mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tries best buy, staples, future shop and crappy tire and cant fine an amp for 100w. I am pretty familiar with audio but still stumped

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same upgrade, except I used a 2 ohm dual voice coil 8" sub, wired for 1 ohm. I used a 100w Kicker amp, that was originally sold by Chrysler as part of a sub-woofer upgrade kit. I bought it for less than $20. It made a huge difference in the bass. Not going to compare with a 12" sub with proper sized amp, but should equal the Alpine 10 speaker setup. Here is a link to where I got it so you can see the specs. (Kicker 100W Car Audio Stereo Input Sub Amp with Housing 269-175). They no longer have the amp, but you can still find them on Ebay. There are also several videos on You Tube showing the amp in action. It is a very easy install, and can be mounted completely out of sight.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    And this will work with my alpine system?

Post Thanks / Like
    So update, It was a computer locked out option, the dealer enabled it in the computer and it worked perfectly. defiantly a cheap alternative to a sub/amp if your not into competition sound, especially since it was free from my friend for a future favour ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jebardeors View Post
    So update, It was a computer locked out option, the dealer enabled it in the computer and it worked perfectly. defiantly a cheap alternative to a sub/amp if your not into competition sound, especially since it was free from my friend for a future favour ..
    Don't understand how the subwoofer is working. You said your car has the subwoofer wiring in the rear deck and you just plugged it in?
    This would mean the the 6 speaker and 10 speaker system use the same amplifier it is just locked out by the computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vjo90rs8 View Post
    Don't understand how the subwoofer is working. You said your car has the subwoofer wiring in the rear deck and you just plugged it in?
    This would mean the the 6 speaker and 10 speaker system use the same amplifier it is just locked out by the computer.
    Thats not uncommon for the new generation cars, on the previous generation LXs the FCM in the cars would control how many channels would be active on the amp. The amps were all the same but needed the FCM to tell them how many channels to have on. You could unlock all the channels with a Mopar Kicker DSS amp without a trip to the dealer. I added a center channel and sub to my 6 speaker setup with the Kicker DSS amp.

The cabin amp setup in the new cars are probably the same. Just options to be unlocked at the dealer.

2006 SRT 300C A
    ton of mods big and small but stock looking...
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    You take a four-door sedan and make it a rocket ship.

Share This Thread