Post Thanks / Like

Help: Wireless Control Module/SKREEM and Key Replacement; Dealer wants $900

Hey,
    Anybody with experience in this please chime in.

I had disconnected the battery to swap my Magnum dash for a 300 dash. I reused all my Magnum wiring and components in the replacement dash so all I did is change the dash frame and cover.

I reconnected everything and fired up the car. It shut down after couple seconds. Did this couple more times then no crank/start.

Checked the forums and found that sometimes the key is not recognized by the wireless control module and then results in exactly what happened to me. <http://www.lxforums.com/board/f74/st...ne-else-51790/>

I tried the fix (pulling rear fuse one -IOD) and replacing, no luck.

Figured I just tow to dealer and have them reprogram the WCM for $100.

Was just advised by the dealer that the WCM is not responsive and needs replacement and possibly key replacement at a total of $877. $225 intial diagnosis, $202 for WCM (p/n: 56038665AX), $150 key, $300 install and program.

I dont want to pay upwards of $900 for this... Any advise on getting this done cheaper.... I'm already out $225 for diagnosis (which I think is pretty steep for what they have done so far). Can I install WCM myself and just have them program?
    I know someone with the Snap-On diagnostic tool (the big, expensive one thats a few grand), can this program the new WCM?

Can a used WCM be used? I have 2 key cylinders laying around here
    Last edited by Sharma; 01-03-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found someone in my gerneal area that had exact same problem and got the problem fixed for about $600... Why would the cost for my issue be so much more?
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/f62/dr...issues-262489/

Also found the part online for $154 shipped next day, although its on a 5-10 day backorder...
    Last edited by Sharma; 01-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I ordered the part myself and will tow the car back home. Don't want to spend that much right now eventhough I need the car up and running asap as it is my DD.

Found another dealer that will program the new module for $135...guess I'll try that.

Anyone have any more helpful info?
    Last edited by Sharma; 01-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try both keys?

10.29@132 Aluminum 468 in '05 Magnum R/T
    Hemituner, Arrington, GTP, FTI, Paramount, Driveshaft Shop, LMI, and a few other goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by novawagonmaster View Post
    Did you try both keys?
    Yes, I tried both keys and they had the same problem. They don't lock/unlock the doors using the remote and they dont start the car. Dealer said they checked the wiring to the module and it is receiving power and they belive the module has malfunctioned (then he gave me some stupid analogy about turning the breaker to your house off/on that didnt make any sense).

Seems like this dealer is trying to overcharge me...looking up the international TSBs online (CSN-F20 and 08-007-08) I found install time to be 0.5-1hr and 0.3hr to program

Post Thanks / Like
    which ignition cylinder are you using, the original or the one from the donor? are you using the corresponding key with the iginition cylinder? did you talk to john at AMP? Im trying to remember all the details about the skreem unit after doing remote start.

also does the car have an oem alarm on it? sounds a bit like an immobilizer issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by todd0218 View Post
    which ignition cylinder are you using, the original or the one from the donor? are you using the corresponding key with the iginition cylinder? did you talk to john at AMP? Im trying to remember all the details about the skreem unit after doing remote start.

also does the car have an oem alarm on it? sounds a bit like an immobilizer issue.
    I am using my original ignition/key, however I have 2 other complete ignition cylinders w/ WCM attached at home with their keys...If I could just put that in and make it work that would be great!

Car does have an alarm and the red dot is on, on the dash

I have not talked to AMP as of yet
    Last edited by Sharma; 01-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharma View Post
    I am using my original ignition/key, however I have 2 other complete ignition cylinders w/ WCM attached at home with their keys...If I could just put that in and make it work that would be great!

Car does have an alarm and the red dot is on, on the dash

I have not talked to AMP as of yet
    are you able to turn the alarm off or is it stuck on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by todd0218 View Post
    are you able to turn the alarm off or is it stuck on?
    The audible alarm/horn itself is not making any noise, just the red light on the dash is on and I can't turn it off. From what I remember the light stayed on even with the key in the ignition (not exactly sure as I havent seen the car since Friday and wont be getting it back until saturday)

Post Thanks / Like
    The audible alarm/horn itself is not making any noise, just the red light on the dash is on and I can't turn it off. From what I remember the light stayed on even with the key in the ignition (not exactly sure as I havent seen the car since Friday and wont be getting it back until saturday)
    Pretty sure that just means that there is a problem with the key (or reading the key) ... but you already know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
    We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah my guess is the alarm is stuck on, as stated relates to the key. This is shutting down the engine so no one drives away with your ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was just advised by the dealer that the WCM is not responsive...
    just from that statement, i can tell you that if a power down reset did not make it respond, it will need to be replaced. you'll need a new one as it's a one time program item.
    replacement and program should be about an 1.0 hour. not sure if snap-on scanner can do it. might have to call a mobile locksmith to program it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pete, Todd and everyone else. Will install the new module when it comes in and go from there. Going this route should keep me in the $500 dollar range...hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here's the update for the problem.

Got the car home (after quite a bit of trouble at the dealer - car wasn't put back together, battery was dead, they did nothing to get the car out before tow showed up even though I was there and told them the truck was on the way)

Didn't do anything to the car since the part was back ordered.

I went on Yelp to complain about my bad service and found the dealer had 126 reviews of which 107 were only 1 star! with plenty of complaints about them being shady...
    Stevens Creek Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram - San Jose, CA

Part came in on Tuesday so I took the battery in got a replacement yesterday also.

Went to put the new module in and noticed there was no plug in the bottom of the module, figured they left it unplugged since they hadn't even bothered to put the dash together before I asked them to. After looking for a while I still couldn't find it. I then started tracing the harness and found the plug was stuck behind the radio.

I figured that was weird since it was not just behind it but actually stuck back there. I got the plug out and felt that the dealer didn't really check this correctly since they were known for being shady. Plugged it in, put in the battery and she fired up, no problem....

The dealer didn't realize it wasn't plugged in.

I will take some responsibility in this also but that's just ridiculous. They even put on the paperwork they gave me that they checked power at the plug...apparently not.

I was an idiot for not checking this before also. The dealer should have figured this out, so for $150 what did they do? They just took a couple screws out of the dash and put them back in... The best part is there were extra screws I had placed in front of the drivers seat when I installed the dash and they took those also...they probably couldn't a place to put them in and didn't want me to think they hadn't put everything back together since it was such a rush job.

These are places that give auto shops a bad name

Share This Thread