Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pulled over for fog lights

So I was pulled over this evening for my fog lights. I have had these fog lights for at least 9 months and have never been stopped. The officer said I can't have "blue" lights on my car. Am I in the wrong or should I go ahead and swap to different bulbs?

This is a pic of them when first installed last year. Sorry it's not the best pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't really tell from the pic. Are this hids or regular blue lights?

You can certainly get pulled over for blue lights. I just never seen anyone get pulled over for fogs. You got very unlucky there.

Sent from my VS910 4G

Post Thanks / Like
    The only color lighting you can have on the front of your vehicle are white and amber/yellow

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Can't really tell from the pic. Are this hids or regular blue lights?

You can certainly get pulled over for blue lights. I just never seen anyone get pulled over for fogs. You got very unlucky there.

Sent from my VS910 4G
    They are leds

Post Thanks / Like
    Laws on lighting equipment can be very specific, not only does it have to meet the federal standards, the states can get in the act too.

As was stated earlier, in most states, the only allowable colour for lights facing forward are white and amber. Ancillary or custom lighting, of any colour, can be installed, it just can not be illuminated while the vehicle is on a public street. Law enforcement is particularly critical of red or blue lights... for obvious reasons.

I have seen some fog light bulbs that are advertised as being yellow... and the light is, when it strikes the road or an object, however the visual light at the source appears blue.
    W.W.E.D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who stopped you?

The Texas law prohibits any color lamp other than white or amber to the front. Yours don't look blue to me, but I didn't see them at the time of the stop.

547.305 talks about the color. It mentions blue when referring to a beacon. I say a beacon is a rotating light. Yours isn't a beacon.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
    (b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
    (c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light...

547.3215 is probably the most important and overlooked code in the Texas Transportation Code. It basically says if the light is "DOT" approved, or "Complies with 49CFR - 571.108" then it is legal.

Sec. 547.3215. USE OF FEDERAL STANDARD. Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:
    (1) the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108; or
    (2) the federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

Any unapproved light, or modification of a stock lamp that renders it non-compliant, is a violation. Examples include lights with VHT coating applied, or HID headlamps on vehicles not equipped from the factory with them.

Our (DPS) standard is based upon what color the light is that strikes the roadway. In regards to headlamps or driving lamps, if the light is any color other than white, it is illegal.

Good luck!
    http://www.odmp.org
    http://www.newsbusters.org

Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    Green speaks with much insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't look any more blue than some headlights I've seen. Some leds that are super white have a blueish tint/hue to them at some angles and may be seen as being blue. In your pic it looks like it has blue in it or reflecting as blue. Might want to try a different bulb. Just because one hasn't been stopped before doesn't mean all LEO's are okay with it. Good luck.
    05 Magnum Mineral Grey RT Hemi Reg# 00310

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Manalishi View Post

547.3215 is probably the most important and overlooked code in the Texas Transportation Code. It basically says if the light is "DOT" approved, or "Complies with 49CFR - 571.108" then it is legal.

Sec. 547.3215. USE OF FEDERAL STANDARD. Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:
    (2) the federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

Any unapproved light, or modification of a stock lamp that renders it non-compliant, is a violation. Examples include lights with VHT coating applied, or HID headlamps on vehicles not equipped from the factory with them.

Our (DPS) standard is based upon what color the light is that strikes the roadway. In regards to headlamps or driving lamps, if the light is any color other than white, it is illegal.

Good luck!

I know the following post says helmets, but it's all the same. The DOT does NOT approve parts.

DOT or NOT Approved?

Below are 16 quotes linked to their corresponding NHTSA letters taken from NHTSA's webside (Acrobat PDFs). As you can see, the NHTSA/DOT does NOT approve equipment. As such, "DOT Approved" helmets do not exist. So how can folks like those in Louisiana comply with their law? They can't! Still doubtful? Call NHTSA 202-366-9511. "It [DOT sticker] does not represent any "approval" by DOT. We [NHTSA] have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicles or equipment." 8/15/02, Jacqueline Glassman, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "Motorcycle helmets are subject to FMVSS No. 218 (49 CFR 571.218), which specifies performance requirements for helmets to ensure that helmets reduce the likelihood of head injuries in crashes. The DOT symbol on the helmet is a certification by the helmet manufacturer, not the DOT, that the helmet conforms to FMVSS No. 218. The standard does not specify performance requirements for motorcycle helmet visors. There currently is no FMVSS that applies to the visor." 2/11/02, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "You also mentioned that 'all the assembly parts . . . are already D.O.T. approved parts.' We do not know what you mean by this statement. The Department of Transportation neither approves nor disapproves parts. ...Trintex may not represent that the Cord is 'D.O.T. approved;' you must not use this expression in any manner in connection with this product." 3/21/01, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "This term [DOT approved] has no basis in either fact or law. We have no authority to approve or disapprove items of motor vehicle equipment." 6/26/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "...as a matter of law, there is no such thing as 'D.O.T. approved parts.' We [NHTSA] have no authority to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or equipment items." 6/5/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"You use the term 'dot approved,' but we have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicle lighting equipment, and such language is improper." 6/20/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "NHTSA neither approves, disapproves, endorses, tests, nor grants clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "NHTSA does not approve, disapprove, endorse, test, or grant clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "DOT has no authority to approve or disapprove any equipment item..." 9/22/98, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "The Department has no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' items of equipment, nor are there any 'D.O.T. licensing requirements,'" 5/13/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "D.O.T. itself has no authority to 'approve' or 'not approve' any item of equipment and the phrase 'D.O.T. approved' has no meaning and should not be used." 4/8/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "...applicable laws do not provide authority for 'DOT approval' of vehicles or equipment items." 6/16/97, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "The phrase 'DOT/SAE approved' should never be used. DOT does not have the authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' motor vehicle equipment... In cases where 'DOT/SAE approved' appears on auxiliary lamps and their packages, the marking is meaningless." 1/8/97 John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "You have used the term 'DOT-approved' equipment which reflects a common misconception that the agency approves equipment. The agency has no authority to approve or disapprove any vehicle or equipment item." 5/9/96, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "...your use of the words "DOT approved" reflects a common misconception. We have no authority to approve or disapprove lighting equipment." 12/22/95, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    "...neither NHTSA nor the Department of Transportation (DOT) approves, endorses, certifies, or gives assurances of compliance of any product." 5/18/94, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
    Last edited by MOREPWR; 04-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Missing my Magnum... Rocking the 2011 Ram Sport Crew

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the mishap, but I just have to ask, where did you get that Mopar Nose front badge from? It looks great!!
    2008 Dodge// Charger SE Plus 3.5
    TORRED exterior, daytona matched spoiler, honeycomb grille insert, matte black grille, trunk blackout, chally style rallye stripes, visor disguisers, cobra radar detector, aac hod highs and lows bulbs, black side markers.. more mods will come soon(I hope) to do: chin spoiler, wheels to pd....

Charger bought new, 10 minutes from Chrysler headquarters on December 30, 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who stopped you?

The Texas law prohibits any color lamp other than white or amber to the front. Yours don't look blue to me, but I didn't see them at the time of the stop.

547.305 talks about the color. It mentions blue when referring to a beacon. I say a beacon is a rotating light. Yours isn't a beacon.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
    (b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
    (c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light...

Good luck!
    I was stopped by dps. I understand about not having blue lights and I completely agree with that. I just didn't think that these lights qualified as "blue".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by torred 3.5 View Post
    Sorry about the mishap, but I just have to ask, where did you get that Mopar Nose front badge from? It looks great!!
    Nate a rebadge design made it. It looks really great and is great quality. I have a matching steering wheel badge too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bfunk04 View Post
    ...I understand about not having blue lights and I completely agree with that. I just didn't think that these lights qualified as "blue".
    To me they look like HIDs. The Officer says they look like blue. I suppose you could argue that they are factory HID headlamps. When the Officer pulled you over, were you driving with both the headlights and fogs on? And did he specifically say that he pulled you over because the lights were blue? Then I think you could get away with claiming that they were factory HIDs.

Your car isn't equipped with them, but it is an option for your car. Take a picture of the car with just the fogs and parking lights on. Or better yet use it as an excuse to get HIDs for your headlights as well. Then it will look factory.

And if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy those bulbs from? Are they halogens, LEDs, or an actual HID kit? I wonder how well they would match my factory HIDs...
    Last edited by XFR SRT8; 04-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MOREPWR View Post
    The DOT does NOT approve parts.
    Agreed. My wording was misleading. If it does not meet the Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment., then it is not legal. The "DOT" would be applied by a manufacturer to indicate the item conforms to a federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS); not that it is legal for highway use.

Quote Originally Posted by bfunk04 View Post
    I was stopped by dps. I understand about not having blue lights and I completely agree with that. I just didn't think that these lights qualified as "blue".
    From your picture, I don't either. Go by the DPS office and ask the Sergeant to take a look at them.

Remember, even if the light is not blue when it strikes the roadway, the bulbs still must meet the 108 standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XFR SRT8 View Post
    Your car isn't equipped with them, but it is an option for your car.
    Not with those housings. I didn't think projector housings were available from the factory on a 2009 Challenger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that sucks! Move to Colorado, you can have almost any color in the rainbow here. I saw a car with all pink lights today...Hopefully you can get it figured out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread