Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

High milage 5.7 Hemi reliability?

About what number of miles does the 5.7 begin to show it's wear?

I am looking at a 2009 RT AWD with a whopping 64k miles (commuting for work I am guessing).

Leather interior, mud flaps, cold air intake from the previous owner, premium sound etc.

It's fully loaded (and tunable!) compared to my 2012 RT AWD.. not that I am complaining about mine or anything lol

Also, what mods would it take for an AWD RT to get into the mid 12's??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2007 Charger R/T AWD with 140,000km on it. Just replaced lower control arms, rack and pinion, rear wheel bearings, inner & outer tie rods. Wasn't too bad of a bill, its a great car still pulls like it was new. My ultimate goal for it is to run 12's on my 20's shouldn't be to hard. I watch what "Token" posts he has done a lot and knows a ton about the AWD's. He is in the 12's i ripped this off his sig "FRI Econo Heads & FRI Sidewinder: Installed @ BFNY by Hemi31 with special guest Fnkychkn, JBA Shorties, JBA/HHP hi-flow catted mids, stock SRT8 cat-back, C&L CAI." Pretty sure he has done a bit more than that, i'm sure he will chime in eventually...
    2007 Charger R/T AWD
    Predator, 180 T-stat, 20" Charger SRT Replicas, Custom Exhaust, BCR Coilovers, CF SRT 8 Hood, Honeycomb Grill, Rear Diffuser, Daytona lip, Carbon Fiber Accents, HID's, R1 Rotors, Hawk Pads.
    So many mods, so little money...

Post Thanks / Like
    lol for a second there, I thought you meant 140k miles rofl

That's good to know that the 5.7 keeps up pretty well. I was wondering what were the major repairs down the line (120k+ miles); head gaskets, valve train, rods, pistons etc.

Not that I am seriously considering a trade on such a higher mileage vehicle (compared to mine) but I couldn't help but thinking about it..

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 5.7 with 123,000 miles; 70,000 with 5.5lbs of supercharged boost. Stock block with heads and cat back making 380rwhp without issue.

2008 SRT8 Charger13.62 @ 103.23 DA Aprox 5000
    2007 Procharged R/T with R&T R.I.P

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet.

What times are you running in the 1/4 mile??

12.4@114mph I am guessing (with drag radials or similar tire)

Post Thanks / Like
    In my dream the world had suffered a terrible disaster.
    A black haze shut out the sun and the darkness was alive.
    Suddenly a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life. A symbol of hope!
    A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark.
    I LAUGHED and blew it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richerdk View Post
    I have a 2007 Charger R/T AWD with 140,000km on it. Just replaced lower control arms, rack and pinion, rear wheel bearings, inner & outer tie rods. Wasn't too bad of a bill, its a great car still pulls like it was new. My ultimate goal for it is to run 12's on my 20's shouldn't be to hard. I watch what "Token" posts he has done a lot and knows a ton about the AWD's. He is in the 12's i ripped this off his sig "FRI Econo Heads & FRI Sidewinder: Installed @ BFNY by Hemi31 with special guest Fnkychkn, JBA Shorties, JBA/HHP hi-flow catted mids, stock SRT8 cat-back, C&L CAI." Pretty sure he has done a bit more than that, i'm sure he will chime in eventually...
    I have pretty much the same setup as Token. My best was a 12.8 in really good air. Token ran a 12.6 after he stripped the interior and used a higher stall torque convertor. We have both broken transfer cases as have others who have ventured toward mid 12's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 151000 miles on my car.For the 5.7 as long as its not overheated it will go along way.The only thing on a stock motor I would change is the timing set with a 6.1 set.If your gonna upgrade cam Id do cam,springs and timing set and a custom tune,CAI.If you want 12s Id also do 6.1 headers and cats and a good flowing catback.
    05 Magnum R/T RWD inferno red
    Franks racing Sidewinder cam w/SRT springs
    Flowmaster super 40s w/custom tails
    SRT headers and Cats
    PRO-TORQ 2800rpm STALL CONVERTER
    for converter call (203)969-2886

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as reliability of the 5.7 hemi itself= bullet proof. My RT rwd has over 240,000 miles, sidewinder cam and spray a 100 shot at the track. If you seriously want to drag race and hit low 12's or high 11's, go with a rwd. The rwd LX's are pretty good in snow if you run dedicated snow tires in winter. I'm guessing that the AWD models might have a slight advantage bracket racing as traction will be less of a factor. Even with M/T drag radials, I've had traction problems at tracks with poor prep. BTW , bigjim has over 270,000 miles with a sidewinder cam.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, 295,000 miles, 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 1/8th mile 7.707 sec /90.19 mph -- 05 QC4X4 Ram 205,000 mi . Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    With an 09 AWD it is a completely different AWD system than the crud one we have in the 05-08. The 09+ disengages the AWD under normal conditions, so you are in RWD only mode for better mileage.
    You also have the upgraded Eagle 5.7 with VVT and more stock power than the 05-08 5.7. I'm guessing on yours with the 64k miles that it was mostly highway and I personally wouldn't be afraid of the mileage on the engine as long as maintenance was performed. I would go right ahead and do full fluid swaps on EVERYTHING since 64k is great time for trans, transfer case, differentials to all have new fluid so you know the schedule going forward. The only real point of weakness on these cars is the front suspension components. Have those all checked out and replaced if needed by dealer BEFORE you take her home--then just ENJOY!
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    13.2 @103 if I remember correctly, that is at 4000 ft elevation. I never got a good run with the latest tune as track prep was awful and I was spinning out once I hit boost in 3rd gear (90 mph)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTSOFA View Post
    Sweet.

What times are you running in the 1/4 mile??

12.4@114mph I am guessing (with drag radials or similar tire)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info guys :D

I might be going to check it out today later on.. since it's about $15k less than my 2012, it makes it look very attractive.

If I were to get it, no#1 on the list would be a Diablosport tune, 3200 FTI torque converter, Kooks long tube headers and mid pipe, modified transmission brace for the AWD Charger's... pay it off, and then go for the Magnacharger M2300 @8-10psi straight up!

I have been told it's still good for about 420whp (AWD) even more with the long tubes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Vehicle Photo: 2009 Dodge Charger R/T

it looks legit enough...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine dropped a valve seat at 150k miles damaging piston
    My car is completely Stocky
    BFNY Performance Built, House of Power, and HHP goodies--- Tuned By : Diablotoona Installed By - Cobb Auto Repair/ Cobb Performance

Post Thanks / Like
    150k miles is very impressive still (before damage)

What causes the valve seats to drop on these cars?? when do the head gaskets start to leak?? motor looses compression??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread