Adam's Premium Car Care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Mothers VS Mcguires Wax-Paint Swirls-help please

With the GTALX meet coming up has me a bit paranoid.. Reason ? Well my scratches (paint swirls) ARE TERRIBLE!!! The paint on my sons 03 van looks twice as good parked beside my car...

He bought a little red, round wax/detail ball from Mothers that goes in a drill (I havent used it yet)

What steps should I follow.. and what kind of wax do I use.... ? Is Mcguires Compound wax better than Mothers products ?

Thanks, want to get her done by May 26 (the meet)

Post Thanks / Like
    B-u-m-p!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mothers clay bar. And right after your done buff it with a random orbital buffer from turtle wax ($30.00) with mothers wax. The thick real wax and your inferno red will look amazing. My last car was inferno red and I always got compliments.
    2010 300S Stone white, dark tint, rear resonator delete 4 inch tips. Lots of little things

Post Thanks / Like
    That round red ball is NNOOOOOOTT intended for use on paint dude!!!!!!! It's meant for polishing wheels. Not even close to the proper tool or method for polishing paint. Whew, thank God you didn't do that.....

Claybar doesn't remove swirls, but it does prep the paint for polishing. If you'd like to talk detailing the CORRECT way, and have somebody give you legitimate advice about what does what, and how to get the results you're after, then PM me your phone number and I'll call you tomorrow. Id be glad to help you out.

I can't wait to see the replies that come in this thread.......
    Last edited by SRTLUVR; 03-21-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always liked those SRT4's. Looks like a mini-Magnum.

recognizer off the grid
    | witness rodimus in action!

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay bar took my swirls out....I guess it doesn't on all paints but it sure did my inferno red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoninja View Post
    I've always liked those SRT4's. Looks like a mini-Magnum.
    It was my baby! Lol. It started leaking oil everywhere you could imagine so
    I traded it in. Didn't want to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollmodl View Post
    Mothers clay bar. And right after your done buff it with a random orbital buffer from turtle wax ($30.00) with mothers wax. The thick real wax and your inferno red will look amazing. My last car was inferno red and I always got compliments.
    Traded in for White 300S ? SRT4 looked great man!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was my baby! Lol. It started leaking oil everywhere you could imagine so
    I traded it in. Didn't want to deal with it.
    Hey buddy!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTEngineers
    We like the Vette! ... Best damn girl's car ever made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay does not remove swirls. It removes contaminants on the paint like tar, bug pieces, sap, & iron. If you used a wax after, that consealed the swirls or the detailer that you used with the clay consealed the swirls. The only thing that removes swirls, or lessens the effect of them is a fine polish.

Jay
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay bar took my swirls out....I guess it doesn't on all paints but it sure did my inferno red.
    No, it doesn't. Clay bar, if anything, induces marring. Here is some info for the op: Part 5 - Two Bucket Wash & Claying - YouTube

And to the op, machine polishing is going to be your best bet, and that is with a real DA polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424XP. In conjunction with polishing pads and polishes. You will get a million answers, but you're only going to do it right by reading on the right technique and trying it yourself. Product choice is purely subjective and most professionals could use an over the counter polish and smoke an expensive one in the hands of someone who isn't. Watch the junkmans videos, do a simple search on an actual detailing forum like autogeek.net's, detailersbliss, autopia.org, etc. There are plenty of right answers out there [but a lot of wrong ones, be careful and look in the right places].

Quote Originally Posted by SRTLUVR View Post
    That round red ball is NNOOOOOOTT intended for use on paint dude!!!!!!! It's meant for polishing wheels. Not even close to the proper tool or method for polishing paint. Whew, thank God you didn't do that.....

Claybar doesn't remove swirls, but it does prep the paint for polishing. If you'd like to talk detailing the CORRECT way, and have somebody give you legitimate advice about what does what, and how to get the results you're after, then PM me your phone number and I'll call you tomorrow. Id be glad to help you out.

I can't wait to see the replies that come in this thread.......
    You would :P

x2, no red ball on paint!
    HammerStyleIntakeBilletTechBlastinBobTommyZDesign

Post Thanks / Like
    as others have said claybaring doesnt remove swirls.

meguiars has plenty of videos and products to help get the job done. they even have an 1-800-347-5700 to give advise

find something you like and keep using it
    Blow it up and trailer it home!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post
    as others have said claybaring doesnt remove swirls.

meguiars has plenty of videos and products to help get the job done. they even have an 1-800-347-5700 to give advise

find something you like and keep using it
    Easier said than done

Some will understand this and I'll see you all at the next meeting lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno Hemi. View Post
    Traded in for White 300S ? SRT4 looked great man!
    Yea man. Had a kid and I like the 300. A lot more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
    No, it doesn't. Clay bar, if anything, induces marring. Here is some info for the op: Part 5 - Two Bucket Wash & Claying - YouTube

And to the op, machine polishing is going to be your best bet, and that is with a real DA polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424XP. In conjunction with polishing pads and polishes. You will get a million answers, but you're only going to do it right by reading on the right technique and trying it yourself. Product choice is purely subjective and most professionals could use an over the counter polish and smoke an expensive one in the hands of someone who isn't. Watch the junkmans videos, do a simple search on an actual detailing forum like autogeek.net's, detailersbliss, autopia.org, etc. There are plenty of right answers out there [but a lot of wrong ones, be careful and look in the right places].

You would :P

x2, no red ball on paint!
    Well clay bar magically took mine out. I mean I saw with my own eyes. O-O. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread