Post Thanks / Like

changing brake fluid and trans fluid w turkey baster: what to get?

Hello.
    Tomorrow I plan on replacing as much of the brake fluid as I can using the turkey baster method.
    While I know there is a writeup for power steering to replace all of it, I don't have a helper so I'll replace as much as I can with the baster.

What type of fluids should I get?
    My 180* Tstat came in so I'll be replacing that tomorrow as well.
    Already have some distilled water for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing as brake fluid is only as good as the bad stuff thats left over after the fluid change, I'd say replace it with the cheapest stuff you can find. There's literally no point in doing anything fancy. You'll be at the wet boiling point of the old fluid no matter what you do if you are just changing out of the reservoir (in fact to be honest I wouldn't bother).
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^^x2......just do it right or don't do it.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake fluid and P/S fluid are probably the most neglected fluids.

Remove the crap from the brake fluid reso, and then bleed the system, starting at the furthest wheel and working forward.

the tranny will require a pan drop. Measure the fluid removed and replace with that amount.

The TC holds quite a bit, so it can be changed several times to keep it clean.
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, SRT heads,headers and mids, Derale 32000BTU Tranny cooler with fan control, duel oil coolers, P/S cooler, Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!

Post Thanks / Like
    The turkey baster is just to get the reservoir empty so you can add fresh new fluid and begin the bleed process. Keep adding to the reservoir as you bleed each brake line. It's pretty easy to do. Make sure you have the right size clear vinyl hose and a container to hold the old fluid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turkey baster is waste of time for brake fluid, the bad stuff is in the calipers and needs to be bled out with a vacuum tool while refilling resevoir. Besides, you don't want to dripping that stuff all around.
    I have done the power steering that way (I know pull line from cooler and pump out while refilling) but its easier and better than not doing anything! I tend to do the baster meathod on PS once a year.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    As ZMagnum pointed out, its good to clean out the res BEFORE starting to purge the system of the old! I alwasy suck out the tank and fill with fresh before starting on 6 month old fluid. At the track w/fresh, it is not needed to drain the tank, just fill and flush.
    05 Magnum RT 5.7 (Member ALLPAR.com 200,000 mile club) Rockinsrt8 shifter, Hemi reg #164 320,000 miles
    Sidewinder, 6.1 pushrods, springs, underdrive pulley, SRT exhaust (donated by NHDave) headers to tips, all installed by Hemi31! Quaife, certain Pedders bushes installed, SRT Nivomats and Bilsteins. Police rotors and pads. HIR. Predator. LMI.

1:19 NJMP Lightning
    1:45 Mosport

Share This Thread