Post Thanks / Like

LX Harmonic Balancer Puller advice for 6.1L

I'm gathering data for on what I need to get to do my build when I get back from deployment. Will this type of Harmonic Balancer Puller work on the 6.1L? Not sure if there are different types that would work better. I've read that I can rent one but the one linked is only 17 bucks heh. I'm looking at getting the SLP 25% UD Pulley... does it takes the place of the stock Harmonic Balancer?

EDIT: also found a link showing 50+ different Harmonic Balancers ... quite a choice!
    Last edited by 10ChallSRT8; 03-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.

SRT Max cam, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Jet 180 T-Stat, Solo X-3 catback, 3.73 Getrag, LMI fenderwell CAI, and Zeitronix ZT-2 AFR.
    Cam install and tune by Troy Ding
    . Dyno 31Aug2012: 414hp/410tq _Idle Video_ Best 1/4 mile: 12.428 @ 110.94 mph
    All Mods listed at --> 6.1L Hemi Registry #1530 10ChallSRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    bolt grip puller (like the one in your link) won't work.
    you need one of these.
    Izzy pics

ensure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    bolt grip puller (like the one in your link) won't work.
    you need one of these.

Hard to tell in pic... does that have 3 claws to pull the pulley? Would this work? OTC 6667 GM/Chrysler Harmonic Balancer Puller

28031812_spx_otc6667_pri_larg.jpg
    Last edited by 10ChallSRT8; 03-04-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, 3 claws to pull the pulley and a selection of push rod lenghts for different applications.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks ... costs more but having the right tool is priceless

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget a long bolt that will thread a good part of the way into the bolt hole with some sort of spacer(s) to get the pulley back on....
    My first - 2006 Magnum SXT - gone but never forgotten
    My current - 2006 300C SRT8 - I have a perma-smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Psst...nitwits have all the tools already.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not going to do it alot you can use of of these.

for the one below you will have to put a small extention in the crank hole for 1/2 inch more length.

8" Three-Jaw Puller
    [/SIGP][SIGPIC]

Licensed and Insured.

Modern Muscle 426 Built and ready to roll.

*NYINSTALLER*

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AfterH...348401?sk=wall

Tranmission valve body, torque converters. and blue top installs.

contact me for all your upgrading needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the length of the rod on the correct puller? I went and rented the GM/Chrysler puller form O'Reilly Auto Parts when I did my install and I'll be darned if none of the rods were long enough. None were missing either so I can't blame that.

Quote Originally Posted by Afterhours Mopar Performance View Post
    for the one below you will have to put a small extention in the crank hole for 1/2 inch more length. 8" Three-Jaw Puller
    Do you use like a socket extension?
    '06 Silver R/T with Road and Track on UAS

Post Thanks / Like
    i just used the crank bolt to put pressure against the bolt to pull it off. backed out the bolt more and more every time i pulled the pulley off a little more and more
    '07 Brilliant Black R/T ... powdercoated 6.1, solid lifters, shaved heads, mopar air intake, bbk shorty headers with full 3" catless flowmaster exhaust with super 44s, 180 therm, eibach lowering springs w/ eibach adj arms and spc bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    The web site dose not list this puller for the 5.7 or 6.1. May be just an over site on their part.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheBeej418;4004865]Does anyone know the length of the rod on the correct puller? I went and rented the GM/Chrysler puller form O'Reilly Auto Parts when I did my install and I'll be darned if none of the rods were long enough. None were missing either so I can't blame that.

The rod lengths on my Schley SCH64900 are 4", 5 3/8", 6 1/2", and 7 3/8". The 3 jaw pointed out by Afterhours Mopar Performance works as well or possibly easier. The difference is you have to move the radiator out of the way for the bigger puller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC20 View Post
    The web site dose not list this puller for the 5.7 or 6.1. May be just an over site on their part.
    5 months ago it did

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget about the install of the SLP 25% Underdrive pulley install.... I had to fill in the keyway with an epoxy in order for it not to leak. Also, in the directions, it says to bore the hole on the SLP pulley to a specific spec for the 6.1. Not sure if anyone else had these issues. Some people heat up the SLP pulley in a pan of oil and then slip it on too. Although, if you ever had to remove it, I would think it would be close to impossible to remove it that way though. Good Luck.

Share This Thread