Post Thanks / Like

My-Gig, Low Speed vs. High Speed... Can both work?

I have the opportunity to get a Mygig high speed system for pretty much a steal, problem is, I'm pretty sure that all pre 2011 Chrysler vehicles use the low speed bus, my question is, if I get this high speed Mygig system... can I make it work in my car? Is there anything I can use to make it work?

It will tougher to get a low speed, I can get a high speed RER in the blink of an eye, problem is... I need it to work in my car!! And I don't think it will, because the newer Chrysler vehicles have a higher speed PowerNet system.

Thanks for the help, and I really need to figure out a way to get the high speed to work in my car, hopefully, someone has a solution.
    2008 Dodge// Charger SE Plus 3.5
    TORRED exterior, daytona matched spoiler, honeycomb grille insert, matte black grille, trunk blackout, chally style rallye stripes, visor disguisers, cobra radar detector, aac hod highs and lows bulbs, black side markers.. more mods will come soon(I hope) to do: chin spoiler, wheels to pd....

Charger bought new, 10 minutes from Chrysler headquarters on December 30, 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    nope won't work.. the 2 units don't communicate on the cars network the same way..
    "A world full of 100% Prius owners is still a world 100% dependent on oil" ~ E. Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    List of all Mygig part #'s on link below. All mygig have different part numbers and only certain units work on certain years...
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System - parts

Post Thanks / Like
    dang that sucks, will just have to wait to get a low speed then :(

Post Thanks / Like
    It amazes me that they made a high and low speed version. There is absolutely no reason I can see that they needed to do that. The PCM/TCM/ABS networks are the same speed for all the vehicles, but the "convenience" network for cabin accessories operates at two different speeds depending on the vehicle line.
    " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    It amazes me that they made a high and low speed version. There is absolutely no reason I can see that they needed to do that. The PCM/TCM/ABS networks are the same speed for all the vehicles, but the "convenience" network for cabin accessories operates at two different speeds depending on the vehicle line.
    to prevent people from adding those features CHEAP I assume. :D
    Mods: A lot
    She is done. No More Modding for a looong time
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic40382_6.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Yea, it's weird. The minivans and the Jeeps had a high speed bus while the Chargers a low speed, doesn't make any sense. It makes sense in the 2011+ vehicles but not the older ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know whether this one will work? P05064821AC

??? Advertised as low-speed, but I have a feeling it won't work on an older, 2006 model.
    2006 300c SRT-8 (wife's daily driver)
    Option Group I & II, sunroof, Kicker,Rear DVD

20% tint, OEM chrome dr handles, moulding removed, Ultimate pdls, Factor1 LED tails, 22x9/22x10.5 forged Moz Rivieras, 265/35, 295/30-22 Pirelli PZero, NYC plat burl wood kit, KW V2s, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, Startech grille, clear corners, myGig RER conversion w/OEM Ipod adapter & VES hooked up.

NEXT MOD:
    9" headrests, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Infinity Kappa speakers, 12" TC sub

Post Thanks / Like
    actually, theres good reason.

high speed interior bus (CAN IHS) is a Can C category bus. it has a high speed process, but its not fault tolerant. cut short a wire, and its down.

low speed (like ours) is a CAN B category bus. cut or short one wire, and it will still operate. often times the customer never knows it's broken unless both wires are compromised.

when the CAN architecture launched on durango, WK's, and LX's, low speed was enough. when the RT caravans launched, they had 3 dvd players, satillite radio, sat tv, etc, etc. they needed high speed process. all new models from then on were CAN IHS. since it costs money to re-engineer the old cars, and there wasnt anything really wrong with CAN B for a car with less than 30 modules, they kept it.

i THINK you can switch the configuration from high speed to low speed with the right software, but i havent been brave enough to try as it can likely brick a radio. so officially, high speed radios wont work on low speed cars, and vice versa.

we need a radio from a caliber, compass, patriot, avenger, sebring, dakota, charger, 300, magnum, challenger.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo59 View Post
    actually, theres good reason.

high speed interior bus (CAN IHS) is a Can C category bus. it has a high speed process, but its not fault tolerant. cut short a wire, and its down.

low speed (like ours) is a CAN B category bus. cut or short one wire, and it will still operate. often times the customer never knows it's broken unless both wires are compromised.

when the CAN architecture launched on durango, WK's, and LX's, low speed was enough. when the RT caravans launched, they had 3 dvd players, satillite radio, sat tv, etc, etc. they needed high speed process. all new models from then on were CAN IHS. since it costs money to re-engineer the old cars, and there wasnt anything really wrong with CAN B for a car with less than 30 modules, they kept it.

i THINK you can switch the configuration from high speed to low speed with the right software, but i havent been brave enough to try as it can likely brick a radio. so officially, high speed radios wont work on low speed cars, and vice versa.

we need a radio from a caliber, compass, patriot, avenger, sebring, dakota, charger, 300, magnum, challenger.
    I still don't buy that Fargo. The CAN-B in the LX is 83.3 Kbps and the CAN-IHS speed is only jumping it up to 125 Kbps, it's nowhere near the capacity of the powertrain CAN-C at 500 Kbps. Additionally, the HB/HG platforms (I have a 2009 Aspen) use CAN-B at 83.3 and they have rear seat TV just like the minivans.

I've looked at the motherboards on both high-speed and low-speed MyGig radios and they are different boards (at least early revisions I looked at), so was more than a software setting for the speed. This was an odd finding when I was tearing them apart. It made no sense to me since all the CAN transeivers were capable at runningat both speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting find. i was simply told in class that they had planned to move to the high speed IHS, but were concerned with its fault tolerance. now the new powernet cars have it as well. but operate a little differently. telematics has its own CAN ATS network

RT vans have 2 sat receivers, 2 video screens, hvac controls, 2 sliding door modules, 2 front door modules. CCN, Park assist, blind spot monitors, power liftgate, power stow module, radio, memory seat module, heated seat module, Steering column module, etc, etc.
    i suspect it was their first attempt at anything this big.

i agree that they should have been able to handle both speeds with one receiver, and just have it learn, or better yet, a jumper switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I tried a HS MyGig on my 06 Magnum (low speed) that was lent to me before I found a LS on eBay and it definitely doesn't work. Didn't brick the HS unit though......just no workie :-)
    Authentic Performance is Arrington Toronto
    Performance solutions with premier brands and personalized service for fans of classic and modern muscle cars!
    http://www.apcaccess.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/AuthenticPerformance

A Magnum SRT8 with a boosted Arrington 426 = 10.3 seconds of 1/4 mile fun!

Share This Thread