Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

database upgrade: Step 1 of 2 complete

OK we got thru the first of two upgrades this evening.

What we did this evening should go a long way towards eliminating the errors we were seeing, but it will be at the expense of speed. the forum should be noticeably slower (strictly speaking some things will be slower and some faster). this will last until the second phase of the upgrade is complete. At present that is scheduled for tomorrow night. So if we are running slow, it shouldn't be for long.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Matt for staying up the whole day!

We love you <3

lol

Seriously though

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean papito you love him?!

Thanks Matt!
    In my dream the world had suffered a terrible disaster.
    A black haze shut out the sun and the darkness was alive.
    Suddenly a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life. A symbol of hope!
    A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark.
    I LAUGHED and blew it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    nothing like having to retype a pm at 5am.

i had to use task manager to get out of explorer just now.

just letting you know

keep up the good work...hehe
    Blow it up and trailer it home!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post
    nothing like having to retype a pm at 5am.

i had to use task manager to get out of explorer just now.

just letting you know

keep up the good work...hehe
    happened again this morning

different computer
    different ISP
    different house
    same person behind keyboard

had to use task manager because explorer was locked up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Matt for all your hard work

Got a Database error again a few hours ago,,,, Not complaining just letting you know

2015 Chrysler 200S, not much will be done to this one
    2013 Ram 1500 Sport- 4" BDS Lift, Fuel Krank Wheels with 35" Tires :-) and a bunch of other crap(Gone)
    2011 Ram 1500 Sport (Traded in)

2010 GCSRT8, 20" (Traded In)
    2008 Superbee #558/1000, Traded in and missed
    2005 Crossfire, Traded in on Bee

Post Thanks / Like
    That would have been when we took the db server down to upgrade the database.

Step 3 is going to be adding more memory to the box once we figure out how much of an improvement this latest change is.

Post Thanks / Like
    happened again this morning

different computer
    different ISP
    different house
    same person behind keyboard

had to use task manager because explorer was locked up

Explorer?? What the hell Tony? Get on a real browser.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3247903
    The Old: Stock 5.7 Bottom End | Lead Foot | 11.861 @ 112.76 1.63 60'
    The New
    : Forged Arrington 6.1 | MMPG Top End | Paramount Drivetrain | 11.67

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt,

What OS you guys using for the DB? Is this a SQL DB? Is it clustered? What hardware is it on? Just asking out of curiosity. If you need any assistance let me know. Don't mind lending a helping hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by concussion View Post
    Explorer?? What the hell Tony? Get on a real browser.
    slow and steady wins the race
    Last edited by rtr0id; 02-21-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    slow and steady wins the race
    Lmfao!

10.29@132 Aluminum 468 in '05 Magnum R/T
    Hemituner, Arrington, GTP, FTI, Paramount, Driveshaft Shop, LMI, and a few other goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCrush32 View Post
    Matt,

What OS you guys using for the DB? Is this a SQL DB? Is it clustered? What hardware is it on? Just asking out of curiosity. If you need any assistance let me know. Don't mind lending a helping hand.
    CentOS 5.7 64-bit. the db is mySQL and we just took it up to 5.5. No cluster. No RAID. a straight 3ghz Xeon 1-processor, 2-core box which, in today's market, is quite pricey for the config.

Last couple weeks, in order:

1. Upgrade to VB4 results in much heavier query traffic due to the nature of the beast
    2. I start beating on the db config to pump up the thruput buffers, caches etc. to handle the added load.
    3. Turns out VB also silently converted about five of the 385 tables to InnoDB type from myISAM. There's no mention of this in VB docs and I had to find out about it in a blog post bitching about same. All optimization done up to this point pretty much did bupkis for the InnoDB tables now running un-optimized in a bare config.
    4. InnoDB optimization commences and alleviates some of the issues. Memory requirements shoot thru the roof. Nature of the beast.
    5. The InnoDB conversion is a good thing since myISAM tables only support table-level locking and thanks to 1. above, we are pushed over a performance threshold and are running out of connections, which took some time to discover thanks to the joys of working with a hosted linux server where for much of the time I couldn't get at the error reporting (have I mentioned how much I hate linux?).
    6. We figure out the connection issue and deal with it. Part of the solution requires a much more comprehensive conversion to InnoDB.
    7. Conversion performed night before last. InnoDB tables are much more scalable regardless of load since they are ACID compliant etc. etc. Naturally they are also much slower. So performance yesterday sucked royally UNTIL
    8. Conversion to mySQL 5.5.21 from 5.0.xx. 5.5 really shows the investment Oracle has put into the platform and InnoDB tables are significantly faster. HOWEVER
    9. We need a bunch more RAM on the system to properly implement buffers and such for all the InnoDB tables. Thats next. Right now we are coasting on the native performance of the 5.5 version of mySQL, which is certainly an improvement over 5.0.
    The above is not the whole story. And not even whats pissing me off at the moment. Just hitting the high points.
    Last edited by MattRobertson; 02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    CentOS 5.7 64-bit. the db is mySQL and we just took it up to 5.5. No cluster. No RAID. a straight 3ghz Xeon 1-processor, 2-core box which, in today's market, is quite pricey for the config.

Last couple weeks, in order:
    1. Upgrade to VB4 results in much heavier query traffic due to the nature of the beast
    2. I start beating on the db config to pump up the thruput buffers, caches etc. to handle the added load.
    3. Turns out VB also silently converted about five of the 385 tables to InnoDB type from myISAM. There's no mention of this in VB docs and I had to find out about it in a blog post bitching about same. All optimization done up to this point pretty much did bupkis for the InnoDB tables now running un-optimized in a bare config.
    4. InnoDB optimization commences and alleviates some of the issues. Memory requirements shoot thru the roof. Nature of the beast.
    5. The InnoDB conversion is a good thing since myISAM tables only support table-level locking and thanks to 1. above, we are pushed over a performance threshold and are running out of connections, which took some time to discover thanks to the joys of working with a hosted linux server where for much of the time I couldn't get at the error reporting (have I mentioned how much I hate linux?).
    6. We figure out the connection issue and deal with it. Part of the solution requires a much more comprehensive conversion to InnoDB.
    7. Conversion performed night before last. InnoDB tables are much more scalable regardless of load since they are ACID compliant etc. etc. Naturally they are also much slower. So performance yesterday sucked royally UNTIL
    8. Conversion to mySQL 5.5.21 from 5.0.xx. 5.5 really shows the investment Oracle has put into the platform and InnoDB tables are significantly faster. HOWEVER
    9. We need a bunch more RAM on the system to properly implement buffers and such for all the InnoDB tables. Thats next. Right now we are coasting on the native performance of the 5.5 version of mySQL, which is certainly an improvement over 5.0.
    The above is not the whole story. And not even whats pissing me off at the moment. Just hitting the high points.
    Meh ... childs play ... lol ...

I understand nothing of the above, but thanks for all the hard work Matt

Arrington Forged 6.1​..ported 5.7 Eagles..HHP Ported Intake
    227/235 cam..Paramount Trans..Dominator..RPM Roll Bar
    Nitrous Outlet..DSS driveshaft..CTP DSL..'09 Getrag 3.06
    Kooks..Corsa..LMI 4"..ATI 13% UD pulley..Billet Tech..BFNY
    11.65@117.3 w/1.61 60' NA--10.68@126.23 w/1.51 60' N20

Post Thanks / Like

BUT thank you for all you guys do to make LXF what it is!
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
    BT Catch Can* AFE Magnum Force Stage II 5R Intake* Diablosport Intune I-1000 DCX 93 Oct

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a hitch in the giddyap overnight, with the forum going crazy last night until we wised up and just shut it off until I could be rousted out of bed to fix it. I've been posting this around so here goes again:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    None of this had anything to do with the transition/upgrade. Sort of.

Our hosting company screwed up on our database upgrade of two days ago (you guys noticed its faster and isn't throwing errors anymore?); They did most of the job but forgot one part of it. They were supposed to fix that last night but the tech forced the database to shut down. This crashed a table that the forum needs to do all kinds of stuff. The tech didn't bother to read the logs when he restarted the db to find out if he'd caused any damage. So it took until 6 am when I got a phone call to find out we were up $hit creek.

Took two hours to repair the damage but we came back up around 8.

I know you guys want to blame the new forum software but that wasn't it :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread