OK we got thru the first of two upgrades this evening.
What we did this evening should go a long way towards eliminating the errors we were seeing, but it will be at the expense of speed. the forum should be noticeably slower (strictly speaking some things will be slower and some faster). this will last until the second phase of the upgrade is complete. At present that is scheduled for tomorrow night. So if we are running slow, it shouldn't be for long.
"LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."
Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage
Thanks Matt for staying up the whole day!
We love you <3
EXTREME XENON-Your #1 HID Source
What do you mean papito you love him?!
In my dream the world had suffered a terrible disaster.A black haze shut out the sun and the darkness was alive.Suddenly a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life. A symbol of hope!A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark.I LAUGHED and blew it out!
nothing like having to retype a pm at 5am.
i had to use task manager to get out of explorer just now.
just letting you know
keep up the good work...hehe
Blow it up and trailer it home!!
Thanks again Matt for all your hard work
Got a Database error again a few hours ago,,,, Not complaining just letting you know
2013 Ram 1500 Sport- 4" BDS Lift, Fuel Krank Wheels with 35" Tires :-) and a bunch of other crap lol
2011 Ram 1500 Sport (Traded in)
2010 GCSRT8, 20" (Traded In)
2008 Superbee #558/1000, Traded in and missed
2005 Crossfire, Traded in on Bee
That would have been when we took the db server down to upgrade the database.
Step 3 is going to be adding more memory to the box once we figure out how much of an improvement this latest change is.
The Old: Stock 5.7 Bottom End | Lead Foot | 11.861 @ 112.76 1.63 60'
The New: Forged Arrington 6.1 | MMPG Top End | Paramount Drivetrain | 11.67
What OS you guys using for the DB? Is this a SQL DB? Is it clustered? What hardware is it on? Just asking out of curiosity. If you need any assistance let me know. Don't mind lending a helping hand.
Last couple weeks, in order:
The above is not the whole story. And not even whats pissing me off at the moment. Just hitting the high points.
- Upgrade to VB4 results in much heavier query traffic due to the nature of the beast
- I start beating on the db config to pump up the thruput buffers, caches etc. to handle the added load.
- Turns out VB also silently converted about five of the 385 tables to InnoDB type from myISAM. There's no mention of this in VB docs and I had to find out about it in a blog post bitching about same. All optimization done up to this point pretty much did bupkis for the InnoDB tables now running un-optimized in a bare config.
- InnoDB optimization commences and alleviates some of the issues. Memory requirements shoot thru the roof. Nature of the beast.
- The InnoDB conversion is a good thing since myISAM tables only support table-level locking and thanks to 1. above, we are pushed over a performance threshold and are running out of connections, which took some time to discover thanks to the joys of working with a hosted linux server where for much of the time I couldn't get at the error reporting (have I mentioned how much I hate linux?).
- We figure out the connection issue and deal with it. Part of the solution requires a much more comprehensive conversion to InnoDB.
- Conversion performed night before last. InnoDB tables are much more scalable regardless of load since they are ACID compliant etc. etc. Naturally they are also much slower. So performance yesterday sucked royally UNTIL
- Conversion to mySQL 5.5.21 from 5.0.xx. 5.5 really shows the investment Oracle has put into the platform and InnoDB tables are significantly faster. HOWEVER
- We need a bunch more RAM on the system to properly implement buffers and such for all the InnoDB tables. Thats next. Right now we are coasting on the native performance of the 5.5 version of mySQL, which is certainly an improvement over 5.0.
Last edited by MattRobertson; 02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Arrington Forged 6.1..ported 5.7 Eagles..HHP Ported Intake
227/235 cam..Paramount Trans..Dominator..RPM Roll Bar
Nitrous Outlet..DSS driveshaft..CTP DSL..'09 Getrag 3.06
Kooks..Corsa..LMI 4"..ATI 13% UD pulley..Billet Tech..BFNY
email@example.com w/1.61 60' NAfirstname.lastname@example.org w/1.51 60' N20
BUT thank you for all you guys do to make LXF what it is!
2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
BT Catch Can* AFE Magnum Force Stage II 5R Intake* Diablosport Intune I-1000 DCX
We had a hitch in the giddyap overnight, with the forum going crazy last night until we wised up and just shut it off until I could be rousted out of bed to fix it. I've been posting this around so here goes again:
Originally Posted by Me