Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tinting the trunk wing

    So I ordered a new 2012 trunk wing for my 300. I've pretty much blacked out everything on the car & want to black out the wing as well but almost give it a black chrome look & not just color matched. Was thinking of using the VHT Nightshade to tint it black. Any ideas on whether this would work or not & if not is there something out there I could use to get the desired effect?
    LMI True 4" CAI - Johan Tuned - Tranzformer - Reso Deletes - Ported TB - 170* TStat
    Tein Super Street Coilovers w/ EDFC - Killer Glass - Dynamic Grounding Stage IV
    AJ InMotion Nav Hack - BT Catch Can, Under Hood, & Interior Bling
    6.1L Hemi Registry 1630




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boyle Heights (East Los Angeles)
    Posts
    2,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wont work. I tried it with a Licence plate. The nightshades will just paint it black. Light shows through the nightshades, but since there is no light behind the wing it will not work.

    http://www.lxforums.com/board/f64/ni...=-fail-271144/
    So Dark Even The Flames Are Black!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    duplicolour has some metalcast spray paints that should do the trick. not sure what colours they have tho.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll post up when I'm done

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating Kit




    Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating is a two-can system that creates the popular look of black chrome on polished metal or chrome surfaces for cars, trucks and motorcycles. The system includes a translucent black base coat that casts a dark shadow effect. The clear top coat is for added gloss, depth, and protection from the elements. Shadow is resistant to brake dust, road abrasion, chipping, and fading making it ideal for chrome wheels, bumpers, interior/exterior trim, accessories, and under hood components. - Ideal for wheels, trim, and accessories - Durable high gloss finish - Creates a custom black chrome appearance -

    If you use this please report back with results...
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's the stuff i was thinking of...saw it at canadian tire this weekend. and yes...make sure to post results if you use it...i'd love to see how it comes out!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get some tonight & as soon as the wing gets here it everyone know

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice. i'll be keeping an eye on this one...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dyess AFB, TX
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneer1 View Post
    Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating Kit




    Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating is a two-can system that creates the popular look of black chrome on polished metal or chrome surfaces for cars, trucks and motorcycles. The system includes a translucent black base coat that casts a dark shadow effect. The clear top coat is for added gloss, depth, and protection from the elements. Shadow is resistant to brake dust, road abrasion, chipping, and fading making it ideal for chrome wheels, bumpers, interior/exterior trim, accessories, and under hood components. - Ideal for wheels, trim, and accessories - Durable high gloss finish - Creates a custom black chrome appearance -

    If you use this please report back with results...
    Thanks
    NICE, auto zone here I come!

    post pics of your work, would like to see.
    Robert
    2006 300C SRT8
    Predator 91 oct Tune w/ CAI, Zoomers Exhaust, LMI "Frankentake" CAI, 6000K HIDs, Staggered Avant Garde Wheels F420, Bagged with Uiversal and BC coilovers, TruFibert Chally Hood, and BT BLING!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    might just give that a shot on my grill in the near future...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Killeen, Tx via Fayetteville, NC via Worthington, OH
    Posts
    1,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpInSmoke View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll post up when I'm done
    If you are looking for a black chrome effect....DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!

    They only way this paint works is if it is applied to a pre-existing chrome or polished silver.
    SOLD: 22" American Racing Torque Trust "M", Custom Flowmaster Catback, LED Tails, Projector Headlights, OE Radio with Bluetooth, Nav, and DVD, 6000K HID Low Beams, 6000K HID Fogs, SRT8 Full Seat Swap, SRT8 Suspension Swap, C&L Intake, Diablo Predator 93 Octane Tune, Papa John Pistol grip shifter, leather wrapped center console, leather wrapped shift bezel. 1 pissed off wife.....shoulda bought an SRT8!!

    NEW: 2006 Charger SRT8 with custom paint



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDesmondO View Post
    If you are looking for a black chrome effect....DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!

    They only way this paint works is if it is applied to a pre-existing chrome or polished silver.
    I think that is his intention, Isn't the new wing Chrome?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Fran Bay Area
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, it's plastic. This won't work on the wing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    plastic dip is your best bet ,

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •