LX Forums Forum banner

Vinyl decal on engine cover?

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  dacm99 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried this? I know most of us have a decal or two from whatever goodies we have added to our engine bays, the question is would the heat of the engine cause issues with a decal on the cover itself? I found one nice sized decal online, MOPAR Omega M Die-Cut Decal, Blue on White, let me know if anyone has tried this instead of painting.

My idea is to paint (Inferno red) do a DIY aluminum insert, then apply the decal off center on the engine cover half on the aluminum half on the ABS plastic. Seems like at this point most everyone has tried one thing or another, and I have just not seen this approach.

Thanks all for the comments or thoughts.

Update, one week on the car and two coats of clear I love it.

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Thanks Man, I think I will try this. Always more comfortable trying something when I know it has worked for at least one other person. I am too much of a va-jay-jay to just try new things.

#6 ·
live & learn... My first crack at it, the vinyl peeled (was using a chrome look vinyl). I didn't clear it in, and I'm sure I didn't apply it right. Then, at a car show I had the cover off the car, leaning against the car and some kid came by and knocked it over, scratching it to hell. Gave me my excuse to do it over.

#7 ·
I have the mopar M and mopar underneath on cover with no clear and no issues so far I also got the same blue vinyl from sticker and did my hemi on each side! looks good I will try and take picture so you can see but I can't promise anything!

#9 ·
Good info and thanks to OP for starting this thread. Like the idea of the clearcoat over the vinyl. Wasn't sure whether the solvent in the clear would affect the vuinyl adhesive; guess it does not.

#10 ·
*Official Disclosure* I'm not saying all vinyl will take clear w/o problems. I have a feeling that if I had cleared over that chrome-look vinyl, I would have had issues. I'd suggest doing a little test before you start.

One of the advantages to me of clearing over the vinyl was not having to worry about catching a corner with a cloth when cleaning it.

#11 ·
Well Finally finished my painted engine cover and applied the Mopar decal tonight.

We all know what the before looks like....

Here is the cover without the decal applied. My wife still thinks this is the best look.

And here is the after. In my wifes words "um, not as bad as I thought it would be".

Side shot

Thoughts? I still have to hit the cover with the coat of clear. For some reason the paint is still slightly tacky after 24 hours, but it was sitting in a 90 degree garage all day today. Moved it inside to the coolest room to cure.

#14 ·
i have this vinyl on mine, with a clearcoat over top:

i run this on my car all summer and had no issues whatsoever. and it got awfully hot under there more than once. for the exact process, contact T Kutz on here as he did the vinyl and clear for me. jessica looks as good today as when i first got her.

#15 ·
Ah and you have the impossible to find inferno red paint. I finally gave up looking locally, and just bought red paint from lowes. Just did not have the heart to pay shipping for a 6 dollar can of spray paint. Your setup is very sharp. I am thinking of doing the strut caps and fuse box as well. This gives me a nice visual.

#16 ·
inferno paint is quite easy to find for me here. i walk into the local napa auto parts with my VIN and an hour later i have a spray can of it. got a few cans now for my headlights, fog bezels and a jada 1:18 showroom floor magnum model. always been a perfect match.

#17 ·
Hum, I did not even realize that was possible. I had a distribution center near my work that had a limited showroom. I will have to check out a couple other locations and see if I can get the same. Thanks Man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.