Post Thanks / Like

Chirp noise in rear wheel area

Am experiencing a chirp noise in rear passenger side area which occurs only when I reach speeds that exceed 50 miles an hour. My 2005 300 has nearly 90k miles on it and the brakes have never been replaced. I know its nearly time for brake pad replacement but was expecting a different sound if my squeelers were actually making the sound. Could this chirp noise be a bearing or somthing else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    DeanR

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is something at higher speeds I would look at body panels first to rule wind pushing something in towards the wheels.

I would think a bearing would be more of a squeal than a chirp- not sure.

Lastly-

I did just have an issue where the rear wheel retainer clip for the brakes was not seated properly and would rub when it was able to work its way to the rotor, I would apply the brakes, the sound would go away, until I went on the highway again. If you take the wheel off and use a flashlight you would see it by comparing the two wheels. Just had to push it firmly back in to place with a screwdriver and it hasn't returned.

2008 SRT8 Charger13.62 @ 103.23 DA Aprox 5000
    2007 Procharged R/T with R&T R.I.P

Fairport, NY (One of Money Mags. top 100 places to live...better with the Magnum!)
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have not already done so you will want to check the parking brake shoes for delamination. When they friction material comes loose from the metal shoes due to corrosion, after 3-5 years, they cause all sorts of noise issues and sticking.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had my parking brakes replaced for the disintegration problem and I noticed the exact same behavior in my 2006 Magnum R/T above 50 mph on my way home today. It's a repetitive, high-pitched chirping sound from the right mid/rear of the vehicle. I tried applying the the brakes but that did not seem to alter the quality of the noise. Is this something I should be worried about? The vehicle drives fine otherwise, and I don't feel like dumping a tone more money into the car if I don't have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you driving an srt8? Those tend to chirp 2 & 3 gear. Nothing to worry about its just your tires loosing traction for a second. I'm getting one and I can't wait till I get to chirp going 50........

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't stock unless you are downshifting on a wet street :D

Quote Originally Posted by Se46m3an View Post
    Are you driving an srt8? Those tend to chirp 2 & 3 gear. Nothing to worry about its just your tires loosing traction for a second. I'm getting one and I can't wait till I get to chirp going 50........
    2012 Dodge Charger

PB 1/8 run: 7.92 @ 86.92 * 1.76 60' on street tires with DA at 1786 - All Stock

Current mods:

Custom tune by Lxmodguy, Stage II VB, Corsa Extreme Exhaust and LMI true CAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím actually getting the exact same noise in the samespot as the OP.

However, my noise is really predominant during slow speeds. Literally crawling,but the noise is still there at cruising speeds (50km)

Itís almost like something is hitting the wheels. As youdrive faster the chirps become faster.
    The dealership canít get me in till Monday and othermechanic is on vacation till Monday.
    Anyone have any ideas?

If anything I will post what happens on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew300 View Post
    Iím actually getting the exact same noise in the samespot as the OP.

However, my noise is really predominant during slow speeds. Literally crawling,but the noise is still there at cruising speeds (50km)

Itís almost like something is hitting the wheels. As youdrive faster the chirps become faster.
    The dealership canít get me in till Monday and othermechanic is on vacation till Monday.
    Anyone have any ideas?

If anything I will post what happens on Monday.
    So after dropping the car at the dealership they told me that I needed to replace the rotors, break pads and the emergency break. They quoted me $650 (aftermarket parts) or $830 for mopar parts.

I found this insane! I told them i'd take the car back and my local guy is charging me way less.

As of right now, the dealership diagnosed the problem, gave me back my ride after me turning down the repair and I noticed the chirping stopped .

Hopes that helps someone who has the same issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its sounds like you have problem into your wheel bearing. Spin the wheel when it s jacked up, if you here the noise, it means that, noise is because of wheel bearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 with above post. Understand at the stealership they gotta make the money. Its always best to buy your own parts and let a big company do the work. So if something goes wrong with how the parts got installed they have to cover it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppz View Post
    +1 with above post. Understand at the stealership they gotta make the money. Its always best to buy your own parts and let a big company do the work. So if something goes wrong with how the parts got installed they have to cover it
    I went to my mechanic who does non-warranty work; he replaced the rotors, break pads, and emergency break. Everything works great now! Hell of a lot cheaper too!

Thanks tho!

:D

Share This Thread