Post Thanks / Like

Removing side moldings

So I hav a 06 300 srt8.I've been really wanting to remove the side moldings on the car but got a few questions

Car has 56k on the clock..what are the chances of rust being under the moldings.I ask this as by the looks of it,where my "c" badge is on the side,around it is kinda brown..now I don't know if its dirt or rust,never tried to clean it really because its not noticable unless u look really close

And does it matter that its 40 degrees outside when I decide to remove it.I have goo off to remove the old 3m tape if it gets stuck on the car.

Posted from my DROID!
    *New for 2013: PWR Heads,GTP S3 Ported Manifold,90mm TB*,Tuned,Slammed (SOLD 6-14-13)

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you take it in the garage and get it warm? You will want to use heat and some fishing line. I would not think you have rust there unless you have bare metal and you should have paint behind molding as the car was painted and then body molding applied. It is definitely worth the end result. Looks so much cleaner. Just may be some elbow grease to clean it up some after you remove. Some folks it was easy and some a little harder. Some may chime in on a horror story or two but mine was pretty good and turned out great. Good luck!
    PTCSRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Make sure its warm & you wonbe disappointed with the reults. I used a plastic spatula covered in a microfiber towel. Soak the moldings in wd40 first & let them sit for a few. Then just slowly start sliding the spatula along the door. Use a clay bar & some polishing compound to blend in the paint
    LMI True 4" CAI - Johan Tuned - Tranzformer - Reso Deletes - Ported TB - 170* TStat
    Tein Super Street Coilovers w/ EDFC - Killer Glass - Dynamic Grounding Stage IV
    AJ InMotion Nav Hack - BT Catch Can, Under Hood, & Interior Bling
    6.1L Hemi Registry 1630

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with the drivers front door - you have an 06 300; the 05~06 300 and Mags are known to have bubbles in the paint behind the moldings, most prominent on the drivers front door.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_luck View Post
    Start with the drivers front door - you have an 06 300; the 05~06 300 and Mags are known to have bubbles in the paint behind the moldings, most prominent on the drivers front door.
    chargers too? i still havent got around to doing mine and it was built midway through 06
    honeycomb grille insert - rear spoiler - 20% tint - mud flaps - radio w/aux - daytona chrome 20's - daytona rear diffuser - HID 8000k lows and fogs - custom tune by Overkill- front and rear blinker mod - custom exhaust w/4'tips - painted calipers - SRT fascia - daytona chin spoiler - blacked out grille - blacked out daytona 18's - red LED interior w/license - LED reverse lights - BCR coilovers - cross drilled rotors w/full ceramic pads - Trufiber 1" hood - custom decals by TKutz - pillar covers - door sill plates - BT interior goodies - 8 ring RGB halos - Tranzformer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TK Charger View Post
    chargers too? i still havent got around to doing mine and it was built midway through 06

Some have had them, but not nearly as many as the 300 and Mags - my Charger was built August '05 and didn't have any. To put a number out there, based on what I've seen, I'd say 7 out of 10 300's/Mags have the problem whereas 2 out of 10 Chargers had the problem - all being 2005/2006 models.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been tossing this idea around myself. Does anyone have pics? 300 of course.
    Jet 180 T stat
    Diablo predator 93 perf cai tune
    3" JBA exhaust
    Magnaflow mids with high flow cats
    AFE stage 2 CAI
    Greddy oil catch can
    Front strut brace

Post Thanks / Like
    Has any1 done it to an 06 magnum srt and had bubbles in the paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another ? Has any1 removed the moldings around front/back bumper from an 06 magnum srt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenkemeadow View Post
    I have been tossing this idea around myself. Does anyone have pics? 300 of course.

This si my 06 300SRT with the moldings removed. No bubbles on mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_luck View Post
    Some have had them, but not nearly as many as the 300 and Mags - my Charger was built August '05 and didn't have any. To put a number out there, based on what I've seen, I'd say 7 out of 10 300's/Mags have the problem whereas 2 out of 10 Chargers had the problem - all being 2005/2006 models.
    that seems very strange with all being assembled in the same place, thanks for the info regardless...makes me feel a little more confident

Post Thanks / Like
    It has a lot to do with the build date (not the year) and the paint color. My build was Aug 2005 and the color is BB. No bubbles. My son in law's car has a build date of late 2004, color is Magnesium Pearl and it had bubbles.

inTune 91 CAI, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS defeat switch, Tranzformer, blacked out wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, Euro rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 255/45/20 Nitto 420's, Boss 338 wheels, painted calipers. Glovebox, ash tray, door pockets, overhead console & cup holder LED additions. Blastin Bob 6db reso delete pipes. Euro LED side signal repeaters, 55/35 window tint, BT catch can. Color matched tail lights. Custom front lip. LED interior lighting. BT interior stuff. Lowered on BCR Coilovers. Front mounted parking sensors. 180 degree T-stat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpInSmoke View Post

This si my 06 300SRT with the moldings removed. No bubbles on mine
    Looks great!! So bubbles that are in the paint, seems funny to me especially how it's not on chargers that much. Is it part of the orange peel or is it bubbling inside the orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have an 06 charger and the molding was removed at 40k miles. i had no bubbles but you will notice discoloration at first. the paint on the door will look faded vs the area where the molding was. you cant do much about it except let the car sit outside till it matches again. not sure how much wetsand/buffing will help. someone else could chime in
    Sponsored By: HHP Racing, Drag-On Tuning
    Follow my build and racing! www.facebook.com/bboypersiart 9.65 @ 139 - 1.380 60'

Quote Originally Posted by Jack SickSRT View Post
    BBOY all I can say is !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was trying to put some sarcasm in there lol. I'm just over 38000 miles on mine but my door has been saved a couple times because of the trim being there.

Share This Thread