LX Forums Forum banner

6.4 Cam In 5.7??

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  fasthemiram05 
#1 ·
Can it be done?? Been looking on the forums with no definite answer.... seems there might be a piston to valve clearance issue since the 6.4 392 pistond have valve reliefs in them?
Anyone know?

#4 ·
Yeah but I'm sure they designed that cam with VCT in mind. My guess is it would be a ton of low end but no top end, or vice versa, dog taking off then screaming up top

#10 ·
You're factoring in a cam cost but by the time you throw in the required SRT springs, gaskets etc it's not worth throwing in a $60 cam with questionable gains IMO. Grab an aftermarket one used for like $250-300, the extra $ is well spent.

#11 ·
I was told the same thing about running a 6.1 cam in my 5.7. I ran with or faster than the sidewinder cars I lined up against.

I would check PTV clearance and also pick up an adjustable timing set just in case you need to dial the cam a few degrees.

Does anyone have the specs for the 392 cam?

#17 ·
If you have a 2010 PCM installed and in working condition, you shouldn't have any problems tuning it. The 6.4L cam is cheap, but for the work involved to complete the cam package, I would go with an aftermarket cam. Comp cams has now released the VVT series cams with much more choices/grinds than a stock 6.4L cam.
I have a 2009 Challenger RT w/VVT and I was thinking of going the same route. Keep us all posted w/info!!
Good Luck!

#19 ·
Just out of curiosity, what are your eighth mile times? My 05 QC4X4 Ram's best time was a 9.1 at 79 mph spraying a 100 shot and with the sidewinder cam. Have you thought about spraying her? Also, what are you running for gears? I'm running stock 3:92's. Sound's like that cam might work for you.

#21 ·
Not necessarily. Not everyone has that "I need to keep going faster and faster". I don't.

I just want to be faster than stock new cars. I know that it isn't in my budget for a huge build. But if -I- could get down to mid 12s... I'd be faster than most everything I run into on a daily basis. Which is enough for me. If you're doing the install yourself, that extra cost for a cam adds up big time.

#24 ·
I was gonna say don't think there is an adjustable timing set for the newer Eagle engines with VVT. The 09+ cam sprocket is way different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.