Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reinstalling halos and installing projectors

Hey all, of course after a year and change of my halos my 3rd ring halos decided they did not want to stay on the light anymore and are just hanging and making my car look crappy. What can i use to put on the lights so that they will not fall again!? And since im going to have the headlights open i was going to install projectors from The RetroFit Source, i have them picked out. Has anyone done something like this? Is there a cheaper and better place? and lastly is there a way to get a charger headlights out with out taking off the front end? sorry for the long question

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to make sure your halos won't fall off again, you need to drill some tiny holes and secure it with wire. I didn't trust the adhesive and someone on here used--I think--.020 safety wire to hold them in place. I found some silver coated copper wire used for jewelry making when my daughters were at Michaels and I used that to make sure my halos don't fall off in case the adhesive fails.

Are you going to use the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors? There is a pretty nice write-up on hidplanet.com on retrofitting the Charger headlights. IIRC, the guy had to modify the housings a bit because the space a bit shallow for the projector. Anyway, good luck with your retrofit. It makes sense to do since you're going to have to open your headlights anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2006 Black Magnum RT AWD - Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back, SLP Dual-Wall tips, Volant CAI

2010 Black Jeep Commander Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I used some really good epoxy to keep them in place.

Also, in order to take the head light off, you must take the bumper off.

The bumper comes off in about 5 min. All you have is the 2 screws in the corner that hold the bumber and fender together.

Then you have the screws underneath that connect the belly pan to the bumper

And last but not least, you have the ones in the tire wells

Maybe it seems easier to me because I have done it so many times and because I used my Mini Dewalt drill....

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    what kind of epoxy did you use? And damn, i figured that, was just hoping i hate taking off the front end. And how much for 3000k hids for fogs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themazzaniandevil View Post
    what kind of epoxy did you use? And damn, i figured that, was just hoping i hate taking off the front end. And how much for 3000k hids for fogs?
    I am not too sure which epoxy I used, but I got it from home depot. I think it was about 5 bucks and it comes with a 2 small tubes that you mix together.

The only thing I don't like about the epoxy is that it gets messy and if you accidentally get some on another part of the headlight housing.....well your screwed because its hard to clean up.

I think you can use any standard type of epoxy.

I have seen on a few other threads that some people use 3m adhesive double sided tape and they swear by it.

They use the red one which is supposed to be the stronger one.

I didn't go down that path because I really don't trust the adhesive on the tape to hold once the headlights are on and it starts to get hot.

Make sure when your resealing to get all the tight spots. If you miss a small little part, with enough rain and humidity, your going to have condensation building up in the headlight.

I am currently running a group buy on my kits. Check it out. They are going for $100 shipped

Post Thanks / Like
    i used safety wire and epoxy. i bought some epoxy for plastic and sanded the paint a little under where the ring would sit. but for safety i used some .032 safety wire. once in i touched the exposed part with some paint to tone it down. no one has ever noticed mine. i will look for a pic of the wire.

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    UNBadged; SRT8: Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace, Front Sway; OEM: Body Kit, Front Skid, WH Side Markers; ClearBra; WeatherTech; Tinted; Stubbie; Magnaflow; 22Elite Console/Visors; Painted/TintedTails; QuickOilDrainValve; Addco Rear Sway; BWoody Sway Links; Kicker Upgrade; AVIC F90BT Hacked; R1 Slot/Dimple; Hawk ProCeramic; Icon Blades; B-Quiet; JR Door Locks; Lockbox Console; BLUE LEDS by LXHARNESS; Leather Door Bolsters/

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used outdoor bonding silicone on mine. The winter cold plays havoc with epoxy up here and so many halos fall off, but the silicone remains relatively flexible during the winter months; just means that if you hit a bump or something it wont cause the epoxy to crack/break.
    '07 Ram Charon RIP
    '09 Ram 1500 Sport - build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    do you happen to know the name of the outdoor silicone? And pics of the wire will be awesome thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a roofing sealant made by GE, but similar products can be found at home depot in the roofing section like DAP watertight roofing sealant. I used the black stuff since my headlights are black, but it comes in clear and silver/grey as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used exterior mounting tape for mine, but the weather hasn't gotten to freezing yet, so time will tell if they hold up for the winter.

it was 3M who makes the tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool, i work at lowes so i will check that out

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been installing halos for years and after tons of trial and error the only epoxy I will use is permatex plastic weld. It can withstand high heat. It applies much nicer as well

Post Thanks / Like
    how does it hold up in the cold?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themazzaniandevil View Post
    how does it hold up in the cold?
    Well I ran my ccfls for two years here in michigan without ever a ring coming off, or breaking

Post Thanks / Like
    well thats always a good thing, and which one did you use the 5min or the general purpose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread