Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it even worth getting an SRT vs RT?

I have a dilemma in choosing what model Challenger to purchase. As soon as I purchase the Challenger it's going in for major mods stroker s/c complete drive train etc..

I can pick up a used RT for approx $25000. My mods and expenses required before stroker would be:

BC racing coil overs $1000
    Wilwoods $1300
    Wheels/tires $2900
    6.1 block core $1100
    6.1 intake core $500

$6800 + $25000 = $31800

I can shop around and get a used SRT for $32000 and not have the core cost, or have to upgrade brake, but I wouldn't have it lowered or have the sweet wheels I like.

I guess it might come down to insurance... How much cheaper is RT insurance vs SRT? Other than insurance what is the benefit if having the SRT over the R/T?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, for what you're planning on doing with it I would just buy an R/T. You can probably find one cheaper than $25k and yes insurance will be cheaper. But I would get the insurance to cover the actual build cost when you get done. I still wish we could have worked out some sort of trade a year ago.
    Everything is FOR SALE!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are four things to consider...

1. Seats. Some people love the SRT seats. I actually prefer the R/T seats (so does InferAl).
    2. Brakes. Brembos are sweet, but I am not road racing. My R/T brakes are just fine.
    3. EVIC. A few R/T cars have it, but all SRT cars have it. I don't miss it.
    4. Exclusivity.

I know there are other (small) differences, but these are the ones that seem to be most important to folks discussing the differences between the R/T and SRT.
    Last edited by novawagonmaster; 07-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.

10.29@132 Aluminum 468 in '05 Magnum R/T
    Hemituner, Arrington, GTP, FTI, Paramount, Driveshaft Shop, LMI, and a few other goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Jweezy; 07-19-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go the route of the R/T.

I'm actually glad to see other people support that too. Most people across the forum will be quick to say you're dumb for not buying the SRT. I think they're dumb for not considering their options.

I went the route of the R/T and have done upgrades across the board. As you're finding, a modded R/T is cheaper than an SRT in the long run and you'll be much happier with where you are with it. When people ask me if I have an SRT, I just tell them it's something like that. Similar to your numbers, I have about $1000 in my pocket compared to what the SRT would have been and I've got wheels, brakes, suspension, cosmetics, and engine work done that will beat an SRT every day.
    '06 Silver R/T with Road and Track on UAS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jweezy View Post
    25K, for a used R/T?

Dude I will sell you mine for 10K, already have KV2, wheels and tires, exhaust, and grip front, intake

Engine has 115k, on it, however your taking it out anyway.

You will be looking at 12,900 for everything.
    You 're going to need to do a 2-door conversion first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you just get a v6 then?
    "That's what she said"

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget pcm if you're doing a 6.1 based, and rear end (2.82?rt or 3.06srt)

Also styling, if you want to add the lip or not.

You can sell the srt wheels a lil more than the rt wheels

I know jarz has an rt magnum and a srt mag, and his srt is like 15 bucks cheaper a month for insurance.

I depends on just how much you're going to switch out. If you ditching the seats for race seats, or gutting
    the interior, then get a v6 or rt for sure.

Or you can get an SRT and be able to rock that neat badge :D
    Last edited by srt8madness; 07-19-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up going with the R/T road and track when I started my build. This got me essentially the entire same inside of an SRT and everything else was getting changed anyways so I saved nearly $15k off the initial purchase price that all went to mods.

The only remaining issue that I should address is going to a 6.1 PCM which should be a little easier to tune....but the 5.7 PCM does work just fine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the SRT8 seats in my R/T Classic. I love them!
    ~PinkPanther

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd agree with everyone else on this R/T for sure. With what your going to be doing I wouldn't waste the money on an srt either. And atm I'm paying 220 for insurance on my srt

FLXC Member
    Mopar CAI,Magnaflow cat-back,180 t-stat,Predator,245/40-275/40/20,demolded
    Hemi Registery #1333 http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=215368

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jweezy View Post
    25K, for a used R/T?

Dude I will sell you mine for 10K, already have KV2, wheels and tires, exhaust, and grip front, intake

Engine has 115k, on it, however your taking it out anyway.

You will be looking at 12,900 for everything.
    reading is a good start before posting...

Quote Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
    Why don't you just get a v6 then?
    not a bad idea if you are planning all those upgrades in all reality. There are difference just like in the SRT/RT comparison. You just have to consider your total cost of replacement parts and what your intentions are for the vehicle.

The R/T is the most likely candidate but there are certain circumstances where the V6 would do the job just fine. This much you'd have to evaluate yourself more thoroughly.

Bone stock time: 12.832 @ 108.51 with a 2.033 60ft... On GY F1's Full Weight
    Predator and C&L Intake: 12.386 @ 111.78 1.868 60ft On GY F1's Full Weight
    Current mods: Hi-Flows, 180. Volant, PS Cooler, Trans Cooler, SS Brake Lines, B&B exhaust.
    Pedders Track II Extreme, Wavetrac, Moroso oil pan/catch can, 6.1 MTCM, Mopar trailer hitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jink25 View Post
    I ended up going with the R/T road and track when I started my build. This got me essentially the entire same inside of an SRT and everything else was getting changed anyways so I saved nearly $15k off the initial purchase price that all went to mods.
    Did the exact same! Do they offer similar packages on the Challenger's that would get you some of the SRT luxury's without the price?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like hearing that you're looking at paying $25K for a used Challenger R/T, but I would think that if you shopped a little bit, you should be able to find a good one for less than that.

Something to consider: I have been told that the NAG1 in the SRT has more clutch pads than the NAG1 that they put in the R/T's (or at least it was with my 2005 Magnum R/T).
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2013 Chrysler 300 (black)
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2011 RPG Ford Raptor

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought, if you went for a V6 with intent to replace engine and tranny, you could see what rental car companies have for sale. I think Enterprise carries Dodge vehicles. Hertz only carries R/T as an exclusive rental. Most companies replace vehicles every year.

SRT Max cam, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Jet 180 T-Stat, Solo X-3 catback, 3.73 Getrag, LMI fenderwell CAI, and Zeitronix ZT-2 AFR.
    Cam install and tune by Troy Ding
    . Dyno 31Aug2012: 414hp/410tq _Idle Video_ Best 1/4 mile: 12.428 @ 110.94 mph
    All Mods listed at --> 6.1L Hemi Registry #1530 10ChallSRT8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread