Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

LX 3.6L V6 vs. 5.7L V8

I'm in the market for a new 2011 Dodge Charger, for the past 6 years I've driven nothing but 4 cylinder cars. I know that I'll be taking a huge drop in mpg with either model, but can some people that own either model chime in with your real world mpg's. I've also been looking for either model with the blackberry pearl paint and tan interior with all the options, but with no luck. I've read that some colors weren't being produced anymore, is that still the case? Also does anyone have any information on when the 2012's will start production or if they will have any different features? I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and won't be home till around mid August; would it be better to wait for the 2012's or buy a 2011? I've browsed the forums the past couple of days and everyone on here seems very knowledgeable so any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 5.7L and have zero regrets. I am getting around 18.5 MPG and that's all city driving. I took a little road trip about two weeks ago and averaged 25.5 on the highway. I traded in a Lincoln MKZ with a six cylinder for this car and I am getting the same MPG as I did in the Lincoln but with the all the fun of a V8! For what it's worth, the new V6 is far beyond that of the old and is said to be a very good engine. I know some colors were affected by the earthquake in Japan but I'm not sure which ones. I'm sure someone else has more details than I do on that. The word around here seems to be that Chrysler is trying to get the 2012's out in August. Not sure if that will happen but it sounds like very few things will change for 2012. Good luck with your hunt and thanks for your service!
    John

-2011 Charger R/T Plus-
    -20" Wheel Option-
    -Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust-

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's pretty good mileage, I was expecting way worse in the city driving! Yea I've been looking, I either find the color with none of the features or a car with the features I want with bad colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no "bad colors". Some are just better than others.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 2011 SXT with the 3.6 and I've been getting about 27.5 MPG on the highway and 23 MPG in the city. I traded in a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 that averaged about 12MGP and ended up saving more in gas every month than I'm paying for the SXT...
    Although I should note that I'm only doing this for a couple of years until the 2012 Charger SRT's are out and then I'll be trading my way back up.
    Good luck with your purchase... these are amazing cars and I find myself itching to just get out and drive it whenever possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you wait till the 2012's are out you can then decide which one you like the best, and what colors and features they will offer, probably get a 2011 at year end reduced price. I love the looks of the 2012 SRT.

06 MRT AWD

**If you can't eat bacon, then the terrorists have won.**

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally am in love with the looks of the 2012 SRT, it's one of the main reasons that lead to me wanting to buying a charger. I like the regular body style as well, and with such a drastic drop in mpg on the SRT, I can't do it. The one thing that has me sad is missing out on that 19 speaker system. The difference as far as it's rating is only 2mpg but I've heard of people getting way better gas mileage than what was suggested. I guess I'll be patient and see what comes and them decide from there. I would like to thank of all you for your time and advice. Buying a car can be so difficult lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't get blackberry but I would wait for the '12's. I believe ordering just started for the '12's and production starts next month. We'll be seeing the '12's in August.
    If you really want to get better mileage, the new 8 speed would be your best bet. You could still get decent mileage with the Hemi, but it all depends on how you drive and where. If you get on the freeways a good amount that'll help you out a lot. If you drive mostly in the city it'll hurt you.

SpinTech mufflers/Aeroturbine resonators - Tinted (Panorama Hilite 40/Huper Optik clear on windshield) - catch can - AEM Brute Force - '11 SRT Chally Bilsteins and springs - 180 tstat - AAC halo's

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2009 Challenger R/T (5.7L) gets 20 mpg in combination city/highway, though it is a 6-speed. (i check mileage every fillup and get between 19.7 and 20.5 mpg every fillup, except highway only which is between 25 and 26 mpg)

My wife's 2011 Charger (3.6L) gets between 23 and 24 mpg in combination city/highway.

I have been hearing some Chrysler/Dodge service technicians speak questionable about the reliability of the soon-to-come 8-speed automatics. I have no facts - it's just a rumor at this point.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2013 Chrysler 300 (black)
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2011 RPG Ford Raptor

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally get 25-26 driving to-from work (70 miles round trip on a curvy/hilly road). I couldn't justify the 3.6L with the 5.7's being just a hair bit more, and slightly worse MPG. I should also add that I get that MPG driving it like I stole it.

If you don't slow down in corners, you get better MPG, that's what I tell my screaming passengers at least, rofl.

Post Thanks / Like
    the 8 speed will phase in over the next 2 years. they have to tool their plant for it. it will start as an option on the 300 v6 models, and work from there.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    2005 Chrysler 300 (retired at 73500)
    2007 Charger (retired at 84000)
    2008 Magnum (retired at 89000)
    2009 Charger AWD (retired at 95000)
    2011 Charger Rallye (65,000 miles and counting)
    2006 STS-V for weekends (2009 SSHS Champion)

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the 3.6, From my stand point when i got an 06 r/t it was only 330 hp. the new 3.6 is what almost 310. Thats kind of mind blowing, I for a fact am leaning towards the new 3.6 motor for any new car i'm getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just and FYI: the Jeep SRT8s get horrible gas mileage. The charger srt8's get much better mileage.

I would get the hemi. The last thing you want is engine envy after your locked in. You're a freedom fighter, so enjoy your time off, get a hemi.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3247903
    The Old: Stock 5.7 Bottom End | Lead Foot | 11.861 @ 112.76 1.63 60'
    The New
    : Forged Arrington 6.1 | MMPG Top End | Paramount Drivetrain | 11.67

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 2011 RT Max and the best I've gotten is 28MPG all Hwy but I usually average between 23-25 MPG all Hwy. City/Hwy mix it's more like 19-21 MPG.

05' Mag RT Mods: Eibach Pro System drop, Frankentake IV, Full SRT8 Exhaust swap, Reso Delete w/ 18x4" polished tips, Mesh Grill inserts, Gienelle V5 Chrome Rims w/ 275/40/20 Skins, 6000k 35w DDM HID's Highs, Lows, Fogs, 180F T-Stat, Predator, Challenger 6.1 Motor Mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread