Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

No CA legal Cold air intake?

So I've been trolling around on a few charger forums, and been looking at various CAI manufactorers, and I've got a few questions, largely conserning legality and future issues

Are there no CA-Legal cold air intakes on the market with CARB-regestered stickers? I've been looking at either K&N and AEM, but nether of these large manufactorers make them so that they would pass smog. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO I wouldnt worry about it too much. Look at my sig for some of my mods and I live in CA. Just find a good lawyer that can bypass smog for you
    PWR 393, Twin 6262mm Turbos, SHR trans, Fore Fuel system, Wilson Hemi Sheet Metal Manifold
    880 RWHP 775 RWT at 16 psi and 17* of timing
    Tuned by Robert@ Ditos motors
    Walk Softly And Carry Two Big A$$ Turbos!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mopar has a smog certificate. I thought that K&N also did.

Post Thanks / Like
    A week or so before smog time just put in the stock intake then when you are done go home and put in the aftermarket intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    LMI intake FTW

Post Thanks / Like
    The K&N FIPK units I put on both of my LH cars had CA Emissions Certification stickers in the box. Not sure on my Magnum because it came already on the car when I purchased it used.

I just did a little research at K&N regarding an LX with the 3.5L engine. It looks like something changed in 2008 and later where the part number/series number changed and no longer has CARB Certification. Your car calls for part number 63-1117 and if you click on the link for 50 state legal it gives you this:

"This intake system is not legal for street use in the following states:

Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

This intake system is legal for street use in most states. However, it is not legal for street use in California and the above states that have adopted California Emissions Standards under Section 177 of the Federal Clean Air Act of 1970. Intake systems are subject to governmental regulation in California and certain other states adopting the emission standards of the California Air Resources Board. In order for an intake system to be legal on a specific vehicle in California and the other adopting states, the part number must receive a CARB Executive Order (EO) number. This number makes the part legal for use only on specific years, makes and models of vehicles. A decal with CARB EO number for these parts must be displayed in the engine bay to satisfy smog inspection requirements.

All K&N 57 series intakes for North American vehicles have received CARB EO numbers and are street legal in all 50 states.

Some intake systems we sell beginning with the prefixes 63-, 69-, 77, & RK- are not legal for use in California and other states adopting CARB emission standards. Please check our website for the specific CARB status of each intake system we sell for a specific vehicle."

The 06-07 Charger calls for part number 57-1543 and has CARB certification: CARB EO Number: D-269-34. I looked at the installation sheets for both part numbers and nothing jumps out as being different between the two parts. Maybe there's a difference in tube diameter at the throttle body or something else? If I were you..I'd be tempted to get one of the kits for the 2006-7 years.
    Last edited by ZiggyZaggy; 05-31-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: More Info!
    Brembos Baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sold 50+ of the BigBully 3.5 intake in CA. Most people just swap it out before inspection. It will literially be a 20 minute job to make the switch.
    1(855) 3GC-Parts
    -------------------------------------------
    Gussets, Trophies, WineRacks and Metal Artwork
    You Dream It, We Can Build It
    -------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Threegpsi View Post
    I have sold 50+ of the BigBully 3.5 intake in CA. Most people just swap it out before inspection. It will literially be a 20 minute job to make the switch.
    A good suggestion...just slap your stock air box back in there before you go in for your smog inspection.

NYT is offline lived and breathed LX for 5 years....
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the leo doesnt like you he will write you up, its that simple. just dont act like a dumba$$ and youll be fine.
    - Steve aka DRKNE55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYT View Post
    if the leo doesnt like you he will write you up, its that simple. just dont act like a dumba$$ and youll be fine.
    Steve speaks the truth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8yourM5 View Post
    IMO I wouldnt worry about it too much. Look at my sig for some of my mods and I live in CA. Just find a good lawyer that can bypass smog for you
    X2

CAI is no big deal with emissions. Just slap the stock one when it's time.

Plus AEM and K&N should have carb legal setups for your ride. Let me know if you need some help figuring it out.