Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quaife or Wavetrac LSD (215mm)???

I have been lucky enough to snatch up a full SRT rear end (215mm, 3.06, hubs, axles, driveshaft) and I want to upgrade from "Peg-leg" to an LSD.

So I'm wondering which is better. They're less than $100 difference in price, is one superior to the other?

I'm going to be getting at it pretty good during drag race season (bracket racing for now, about 2-3 times/month), but want something agreeable and fun on the street as well as using it for the occasional autocross. Any insight will be helpful, thanks.
    I will never explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it.

GRUNT: Term of affection used to denote that camouflaged, filthy, sweaty, dirt encrusted, foot sore, ripped trouser'd, tired, sleepy, beautiful son of a bitch, who has kept the wolf away from the door for over 200 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    They're both great units. So it really becomes a price point IMO. I will tell you that if you ever break a halfshaft on the quaife, it will hurt it. So far, that hasn't hapened with a Wavetrack that I know anything about. So I can't comment on what would hapen with it.

Are you considering upgraded halfshafts?. I would highly suggest it, the pre-08 SRT ones break real easy.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cam, I'll consider your thoughts on the WT (what's a few extra bucks for extra safety).

I've already looked into the upgraded shafts (a few supporting vendors have em here for about $600/pair). I'm making sub-400 RWHP/TQ so the half shafts aren't at the top of the list yet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    im going to go with the wavetrack when i do mine. i would rathar have the wavetrack locker mechanisim than a clutch driven locker like the quaife.

you can read up on the wavetrack locker system with pictures of how it works here... http://www.unitrax.biz/?p=213

wavetracks still have a lifetime warranty where quaife units don't anymore from what i hear.
    Last edited by Jontoad; 05-29-2011 at 03:53 PM.

2006 black /SRT//8/
    Autocross videos - (((((SRT8 Charger autocross lap.))))) (((((Edited movie.))))) (((((Helmet cam lap.)))))

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta say my car made 460 at the wheels and I put one hell of a beating on my RT halfshafts for a long time before I started breaking them. But this was long before high stall converters too, I only ran a 2800. The 09 halfshafts are a smoking deal. I see them used on a regular basis around here for $450.

And here' s a hint no one knows about, so keep it between us. The 08+ SRT halfshafts are the upgraded units. If you can find a set of those, you'll also need the hubs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The quaife isn't a clutch, it's a full planetary set up. Matter of fact. To look at the two units side by each, there's almost physicaly identical. That cracks me up.

Post Thanks / Like
    why not the Getrag LSD?
    Chrome MagnaCharger TVS2300
    PWR Blower Cam by CHT
    Getrag 3.06 w/226mm Axles
    Legmaker True CAI
    Mopar Catback
    AEM Boost And Wideband Gauges

Post Thanks / Like
    Just FYI it's an 06 rearend (coming from member 06hemipower) and I'm going to be running an Edge 3400 TC.

@Redbull: I would have gone that route but the Getrags are getting uber-expensive. Plus you can get different gearings as well: stock 3.06, 3.23, 3.55, 3.73, 3.91, etc. The Wavetrac and Quaife LSDs are a bit more stout than the Getrags. I also got it for a sweet deal, so why the f*** not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    The quaife isn't a clutch, it's a full planetary set up. Matter of fact. To look at the two units side by each, there's almost physicaly identical. That cracks me up.
    yea that was wrong i was thinking of the getrag for some reason. but it does say that the quaife and other gear diffs have worse 0 traction manners than the wavetrack. not sure how that would effect me for autox but i would think it would help on rough pavement or over crests where the car is un-weighted. also since im on and off the gas so much on small courses in turns.
    Last edited by Jontoad; 05-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So who has is selling the wavetrack at a better deal ?
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Post Thanks / Like
    ponch79: it was the SRT rearend I was speaking of, not the Wavetrac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe2010 View Post
    Thanks Cam, I'll consider your thoughts on the WT (what's a few extra bucks for extra safety).

I've already looked into the upgraded shafts (a few supporting vendors have em here for about $600/pair). I'm making sub-400 RWHP/TQ so the half shafts aren't at the top of the list yet though.
    GIJoe, when you inquired about the "09 half shafts that I have FS, I told you they would not fit the 215mm dif. at the dif. end, as they are 31 spline count. They will fit a Wavetrack though. $300.00 ain't bad, bud.
    Black Dog Hemi

Pick a lane...same destination

2011 IMSM Pro Outlaw Street Heat Division Rookie of the Year
    2012 Midwest Index Shootout Pro Outlaw Street Heat Division Champion
    2014 Midwest Index Shootout Street Limited Second Place Runner Up
    HEADS-UP DRAG RACING

10.16 @ 133 100% stock motor Tuned by Tim Barth @ MPH Racing

Black Dog Appears
    Then Disappears

Post Thanks / Like
    pm sent illinois

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontoad View Post
    but it does say that the quaife and other gear diffs have worse 0 traction manners than the wavetrack. not sure how that would effect me for autox but i would think it would help on rough pavement or over crests where the car is un-weighted. also since im on and off the gas so much on small courses in turns.

Well I'm not buying that one for a second. I had mine for 60K miles. And competed in many autocross comp and hundreds of laps on track days. To date, only one other LX ever beat me on the autocross, his time was .25 of a sec faster, but I was running with 3 addtional passengers and my record on the big track at Willow Springs took 3 years for someone to break. Traction was never in issue for dif performance.

I have nothing but praise for the quaife. And nothing negative to say about the Wave Track. I've personally installed both and have no preference. Both went in nicely without a drastic change to lash. Also every major build that has come thru my shop has gotten a quaife and we never had an problem with any of them except mine and the halfshaft deal.

I've also did HemiC's OZ Giken unit. Now IMO, you want a bullet proof LSD, that's the one to get. It gives you the ability to adjust the biasing depending upon how you want it to react.

Also guys, I have a brand new Wavetrack here if someones looking for a deal. Just PM me if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on those 06 half shafts. Hope they hold up for you. Just don't hook 'em from a dead stop on dr's or slicks and you will be ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread