LX Forums Forum banner

Blend door actuator

49K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jimMcr 
#1 ·
So I've seen a post or two about blend door actuators. I need to change one. One listing said it's behind the glove box. Sounds like an easy fix. One thing I saw somewhere says the dash comes out. Anyone change one out before? How difficult is it to reach?

#2 ·
Do you have climate control or the regular AC? Either way, the dash doesn't have to come out. I just had my drivers side replaced and it can be done from under the dash. I have the climate control.

#5 ·
If I'm reading the service manual right, my car has only two. I didn't see a second on the passenger side, but I'll check again. Didn't have time today to check driver side. Btw,my job blocks this site, so everything I do on here is done from an iPhone. I'll get around to the profile some day. Thanks for the diagraham, it's a big help!

#7 ·
I am having a similar issue. My 08 with MTC stays on hot for a while after moving the knob to cool. It will burn you out before changing. I do not think it is the actuator since it changes, it just has a delay that takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. It also has no middle ground when doing this, it is either hot or cold. Any ideas?

#8 ·
ENTERING DISPLAY DTC MODE - MTC SYSTEM

To enter the MTC system's Display DTC Mode, perform the following:

NOTE:An active DTC 33 will prevent the control from entering diagnostic mode and performing certain diagnostic functions. It will also prevent proper A/C mode switch and status indicator function. If this occurs, refer to *A/C HEATER CONTROL WILL NOT ENTER DIAGNOSTIC MODE (MTC)
1.Turn the ignition to the On position.
2.Turn the blower motor control (1) to the On position.
3.Press the A/C mode switch (2) down, turn the blower motor control to the Off position, wait until both LEDs illuminate (approximately 5 seconds) and then release the A/C switch. If there are active or stored DTCs to display, the A/C status indicator (3) will begin to flash. If there are no active or stored DTCs to display, the LEDs on the A/C-heater control (4) will turn off and the system will automatically exit the mode of operation.
4.To manually exit Display DTC Mode, either turn the ignition off or disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.

DISPLAY SEQUENCING - MTC SYSTEM

MTC system DTCs will display in ascending numerical order but not in chronological order. Active DTCs will display before stored DTCs. If there are active and stored DTCs for the same parameter, the A/C-heater control will NOT display the stored DTC for that parameter. The EBL status indicator will illuminate and remain illuminated while the A/C-heater control is displaying stored DTCs. After displaying all active and stored DTCs, the A/C-heater control restarts at the beginning, displaying all DTCs again. To restart the sequence from the beginning while the A/C-heater control is displaying DTCs, press the EBL mode switch down, and then release it. This will cause the A/C-heater control to quit displaying the present code, turn off all LEDs for 2.0 seconds, and then it will begin flashing all DTCs again from the beginning.

READING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES - MTC SYSTEM

All active and stored DTCs for the MTC system have an assigned code number. The A/C status indicator flashes in a series of pulses to display the code numbers. Each pulse has an indicator on time of 0.5 seconds. The tens unit value (1) is flashed first followed by the ones unit value (2). A 2.0 second indicator off-time (3) separates the unit values. When displaying multiple DTCs, the A/C status indicator will go off for five seconds (4) before displaying the next DTC (5). After displaying all DTCs (6), the sequence will repeat until exiting Display DTC Mode.

btw, welcome to LXforums. :)

#12 ·
Hey fnkychkn, Thanks for this info!

My MTC is showing a code but I'm trying to understand how to read the LED flashes.

When the DTC display starts there is an initial flash of both the A/C and EBL lights together, does that first flash count as part of the DTC?

If it does count I have a DTC 54, if it doesn't count I have a DTC 44. Do you know for sure if the first flash counts or not?

#14 ·
Right sorry I mean when the DTC display starts or when it loops again.

Does that first A/C light flash count as part of the DTC? Or is it like an initializing flash both A/C and EBL to tell you the DTC display is starting a new loop?

I have a Jeep Commander XK but it looks like the MTC is the same or very similar. I made a quick video to show it better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFaacpokueM

Would that be a DTC 54 or 44?

#16 ·
Thanks for setting that straight fnkychkn. It seems MTC DTC 54 for an XK is "Second Row Mode Door Linkage broken". But I'm not getting any heat at all so it looks like something else is going on.

I noticed that the A/C button won't light up when its pressed at the low blower speed(off-[low]-med-high-max). But the A/C button does light up when pressed at the 3 higher blower speeds(med high max).

Also the mode door that directs airflow between front vents/defrost vent/floor vents etc won't work at the low blower speed, but does work properly at the 3 higher blower speeds.

The blower itself runs properly at all speeds, low turns the fan slowly producing little air, max turns it very fast and loud producing lots of air, med and high also set their distinct voltage,rpm,airflow.

Does this indicate an electrical problem and not a mechanical problem? Why would you think the blower has to be on one of the higher settings for the A/C button and mode door control to work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.