LX Forums Forum banner

Spark Plug Replacement 3.5L?

40K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  ToddStone 
#1 ·
Are there any spark plug replacement threads for a v6? I know theres one for a v8

since this will be my first time doing this i need some guidance.

#2 ·
3.5L
Always remove the ignition coil assembly by grasping
at the spark plug boot, turning the assembly 1/2 turn
and pulling straight back in a steady motion.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the intake manifold, (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/
MANIFOLDS/INTAKE MANIFOLD - REMOVAL).
3. Prior to removing the ignition coils, spray compressed
air around the coil area and spark plug or
contaminates from spark plug tube..
On 3.5L engines, it is necessary to loosen the screws
by alternating back and forth. Do not lose the spacers
under the coil when loosening the screws.
4. Remove the ignitions coil.
5. Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with
a rubber or foam insert.
6. Inspect the spark plug condition.
REMOVAL
UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD
1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the IAT sensor electrical connector.
3. Remove air inlet hose from the throttle body.
4. Disconnect the MAP sensor electrical connector.
9. Disconnect electrical connectors from the Manifold
Tuning Valve (MTV) and Short Runner Valve
9. Disconnect electrical connectors from the Manifold
Tuning Valve (MTV) and Short Runner Valve
10. Remove the right intake manifold support brackets.
11. Remove the upper intake manifold retaining bolts, insulation foam pad and manifold. Clean all gasket sealing
surfaces.
As a note it has been found that un-bolting the factory strut brace (square tube at the cowl) and blocking it up outta the way allows clearance to get the upper intake up and over the tranny fill tube.

#5 ·
Here are pics of my intake manifold off when I changed the plugs for my S/C install if you need a reference..........

To make it easier to remove the upper intake manifold, remove the strut bar completely.........My pics show it proped up, but it is MUCH easier to pull the manifold over the transmission fluid tube without the brace in the way..........

I would suggest having a spare upper intake manifold gasket, and a spare EGR tube gasket on hand.............I used new gaskets when I replaced my plugs.........the EGR tube can be a B*tch to seat properly........if not seated properly you will get a vacuum leak..........I also used a little dab of anti-sieze compound on the plug threads..........
:beerchug:

#12 ·
Believe me Funky knows what he is talking about. My husband did not replace the gasket and seal and car had a vacuum leak. The next weekend he had a tear my car apart again to replace those parts. Not fun.

#13 ·
Ok, so the gasket and seal you're talking about Fnky & Skullboy, are those just for the EGR? Or are you talking about the EGR and the gasket between the upper and lower manifold? I'll be doing this in the near future.. Sure wishing I had a ported/polished LIM to install at the same time..

TIA!

eGo

#14 ·
Ok, so the gasket and seal you're talking about Fnky & Skullboy, are those just for the EGR? Or are you talking about the EGR and the gasket between the upper and lower manifold? I'll be doing this in the near future.. Sure wishing I had a ported/polished LIM to install at the same time..

TIA!

eGo
Both the EGR and upper intake manifold gasket (the one between the upper & lower intake manifolds) should be replaced..............they are like a rubber/silicone type seal........

#16 ·
As a note try not to turn the upper intake upside down too much.. bits of oil and or whatever in it from normal use can screw with the sensor on the upper driver side of the manifold.

#18 ·
Great. Thanks for the valuable info. Going to change the plugs when I do the timing belt.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I am also going to do it at 50K along with tranny filter and a few other things.

Couple questions: 1. What is the extimated time for completion on plug replacement?

2. This goes out to FnkyChicken, I posted about the Bosch +2 plugs. What's your opinion on these Fnky?

#23 ·
I am also going to do it at 50K along with tranny filter and a few other things.

Couple questions: 1. What is the extimated time for completion on plug replacement? with air tools, less than an hour.

2. This goes out to FnkyChicken, I posted about the Bosch +2 plugs. What's your opinion on these Fnky? no experience with anything but OE plugs.[/QUOTE]

:pepper:

#28 ·
This is another thread that needs to be posted as a sticky. Whose the mod for this section?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.