Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you need an ATI flexplate?

Here is why...

This is from a 5.7 head/cam car. If this combo can do this imagine I would pretty much say that any interinal engine mods should require an upgraded flexplate to go along with it.

Chances are you wont be at this point of an install again if you are doing a stroker swap and labor will cost as much or more as the flexplate to go back and replace a broken one.

Anyone buying a stroker curently or in the future can pick up an ATI flexplate as well for $195. Normal price of $211.16

Here is a little more info on the ATI peice,

ATI Flexplates are created from custom drawn SFI-spec chromoloy steel and are SFI 29.1 Certified.
    The flexplates are double MIG/TIG welded for additional strength and lasting precision pass after pass. Each ATI flexplate is manufactured and toleranced from OEM drawings to ensure a precise fit and location.
    Each plate is quality inspected to EXCEED the flatness and run-out tolerances of the OEM units and is precision balanced on Hines digital equipment with a resolution of 0.10 oz-in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch!

I'm glad I added one to my build.
    2006 Charger R/T with Road & Track

10.93 @ 125.6

Jaak is offline Looking for that phuk I used to give.

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes me wonder why I haven't needed one long ago, with a differential pinion that looked like this...

I should probably double check that, huh?
    12.217 @ 117 mph on a stock motor

My Station Wagon was faster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, that looks like MY old flex plate! No wonder my 60' times were suffering LOL

A thousand thanks to Andy at PWR for ALL his great customer service, including stocking an ATI flex plate and PWR_Justin for installing this new flex plate with my new PWR forged 5.7!!!

I'm looking forward to posting up more praises for PWR when we get to Orlando!

ALL MOTOR

5.7L 11.29 ET, 118.6 MPH, 1.50 60'
    6L 10.76 ET, 125.6 MPH, 1.47 60'
    7L 10.0 ET, 134.6 MPH, 1.44 60'
    PWR Engine/Cam
    Thitek Heads
    Tunner: OST Dyno

Post Thanks / Like
    The 5.7 and 6.1 flex plates aren't the same are they??? I don't recall hearing much about problems with the 6.1 flex plates.
    Inferno Red 06' Charger SRT8...groups I,II,III and sunroof.
    Southern Hotrod P&P heads/SHR-CMG1 cam,HHP/BES ported Intake,BT ported TB,Protorque 2800 stall,Getrag w/3.73's,Kooks LT's/mid-pipes,Corsa cat-back,Carbon Fiber Airhammer CAI,Jet 180 tstat,Diablo Predator with custom CMR dynotune by HHP,BT polished catch can and some BT goodies.
    451RWHP/439RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paxton View Post
    The 5.7 and 6.1 flex plates aren't the same are they??? I don't recall hearing much about problems with the 6.1 flex plates.
    no.
    (its also year dependent, and i dont remember when was what)

but there was a solid flexplate with little no no holes in the plate.
    where as the R/T flexplate has big holes in it. you can see those "holes" in the first picture... theyre shaped like an arc.

not all cars had this.. but most if not all earlier 5.7's did.

'99 FRC Corvette - Far From Stock
    '06 Silver R/T R&T Fully Loaded [SOLD]
    ->FRI'd with Street/Strip Heads + Scud Camshaft<- CTP Spacers + 09 Eagle Manifold
    -FRI Custom Stepped LT Headers--Getrag 3.06 LSD--DIABLOsport Predator--Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley--ProTorque 2800
    -FRI PolyMounts--GSM Cold Air Intake--180Tstat--RTJunkieNOESP--MoparTCM--PEDDERS Touring Kit--Billet Tech Throttle Body
    Best ET: 12.490 sec @ 113.58 mph +400 DA, 4000 RaceWeight

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish someone had warned me while she was in pieces.
    2006 300C with PWR 397 Stroker, Builder Bill Paramount Transmission, DSS 1000 h.p. DS, Getrag 3.06, JLine 2 Piece staggered 20's, Full Pedders Bushings, TEIN SS w/EDFC, Hotchkis Sways, RE Strut Bars, SRT-8 Interior, Corsa/LMI/Predator, AVIC Z-110BT, BT everywhere and alot more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean300C View Post
    I wish someone had warned me while she was in pieces.
    Hey Justin... I'm trying to recall if you have a high-stall converter?? If not, this would be a good excuse to go back in and do both.

And another thing... How about some updates on your stroker??!!??

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure it is the '05s and early '06s that had the crappy flex plates. My '07 had the super beefy one with no holes in it and no cracks after some 1.4 60' times.
    First all motor LX in the 9's

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adanac Charger View Post
    Hey Justin... I'm trying to recall if you have a high-stall converter?? If not, this would be a good excuse to go back in and do both.

And another thing... How about some updates on your stroker??!!??
    I went with a 2800 stall. It looks like I've smoked my tranny though. I won't know for sure until I get her to the dealer to check the fluid level though. Sooooo I'll be adding that flex plate to my new gearbox. Brad King has been nothing but the best explaining my options and talking to builders for me. Needless to say she'll be headed back the Mr. King for the job, anything less would be insanity! The motor is just incredible. I couldn't say enough about the way it breathes and acts. As you know my goal was pretty unique for this world and these guys hit it right on the head. As I said to Brad K. earlier, as far as my gearbox I am choosing to be excited about the upgrade instead of bummed about the repair. The fact she has lived this long is impressive, I'm raw. My snapped in two motor mounts with a stock 5.7 told that story when she came apart for the build. People build cars to get them somewhere, for me that place is a certain moment when it all comes together driving... usually post apex with the rear grappling for traction and the atmosphere tearing from the air this beast consumes. How's your build coming Adanac?

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL... Sounds like you're having fun!!

My build has changed a lot over the winter... from Mean Street heads for my 5.7... to a 5.7-based 395... to where I am now.

I ended up with a 6.1-based 419, ported Eagle heads, custom pistons for 11.0 to 1 compression, f-R2 cam, 6.1 ported intake, 90mm Arrington, billet fuel rails, ATI flexplate, 3.73 Getrag, Brembo's, 6-speed motor mounts, CTP driveshaft loop, SRT exhaust, ...

I think I might be in need of a tranny too....... and like you, I think I'll be okay with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adanac Charger View Post
    LOL... Sounds like you're having fun!!

My build has changed a lot over the winter... from Mean Street heads for my 5.7... to a 5.7-based 395... to where I am now.

I ended up with a 6.1-based 419, ported Eagle heads, custom pistons for 11.0 to 1 compression, f-R2 cam, 6.1 ported intake, 90mm Arrington, billet fuel rails, ATI flexplate, 3.73 Getrag, Brembo's, 6-speed motor mounts, CTP driveshaft loop, SRT exhaust, ...

I think I might be in need of a tranny too....... and like you, I think I'll be okay with that.
    You've been busy! She sounds like a beast. I'm surprised you went for the 3.73 being a street driver. I went for the 3.06 and my revs are way up going 60. Once I learned the 3.73 would put me around 3000 rpm's at 60 I ran to the 3.06.... And you might as well start considering the gearbox brotha... We have no one to blame but ourselves. Even if my fluid level is off and it holds 3rd gear down once it's corrected, I'm still leaning towards having either a Southern Hotrod or Paramount dropped in. At least that way I wont have to have it towed when it does go, which I doubt will be long even if it's alright now. It's simple math really: Almost 100K on stock NAG1 + 464.95 rwhp + driver with delusions of grandeur = BOOM!!!
    Last edited by Clean300C; 02-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea if I'll be able to use a ati flex plate from a 6.1 for my 5.7?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes they are the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im glad I had Brad throw one of these in my car when I did the trans and converter!
    2008 300c Black Betty
    NOW--PWR
    397 Stroker, PWR 6.1 heads, Modern Muscle
    6.1 intake and 90 TB, 3.06 Getrag, BB Dominator, SHR trans, SLP pulley, SRT Headers, Corsa exhaust, LOTS OF BT!!!! (Tuned by Dave Foreignmuscle)

PWR heads and Cam PB; 12.91@108.24mph
    NEW PB on street tires and weak launch 12.41 @ 115.77
    New PB on the way...
    [/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread