Post Thanks / Like

Engine light code P0300? Engine Misfire - What does it mean

So yesterday I was headed into the city and pulling onto the highway from the offramp the car sounded a little wired and felt a hiar underpowered. Two seconds later ding ding the cel comes on and stays on. I noticed the car felt really wierd and not running right and that lasted about a minute or so tops and cleared up but the cel stayed on. So when i get to where I am going I figured i would do the key dance. it displayed 0300 and no other codes, I go online and check out that code and it comes up as a "random multiple cylinder misfire"?

Now i don't think the to situations are related myself I think the original problem i posted about with the "throttle hesitation and pausing"(in another post) on take off is something to so with the electronic fly-by-wire throttle personally but without a code I guess it's just replace parts and see. So now what the heck does "random multiple misfire mean"? The plugs were replaced when i bought the car a few months back and it had a major tune-up also and has been fine until now. Does this mean a plug, coil pack, or something more? Also wondeing if the car just had a "brain fart" and this could be a isolated unrelated incident?

Long of the short is I have only had the magnum five or six months now and am loosing confidence with these few stupid electrical toubles I have been having and unable to get diagnosed or solved. I HATE electrical troubles because it's so hard to diagnose so if anyone had any input on anything at this point is much appreciated. Thanks again hopefully i can get this and my other "throttle pausing while accelerating problem figured out........

Check out my other issue I mentioned above here..........
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=246520

Post Thanks / Like
    A few things come to mind.
    1. I would pull the spark plugs and see what they look like.
    2. Did you buy the car used? regardless I would give her a "tune-up": New spark plugs, oil change, throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning and new fuel filter.
    3. Check for a vacuum leak.

A p0300 is not a specific code so you will have to investigate.

429 with a 3L twinscrew
    -my vehicle http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=169998

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydahsmils2001 View Post
    A few things come to mind.
    1. I would pull the spark plugs and see what they look like.
    2. Did you buy the car used? regardless I would give her a "tune-up": New spark plugs, oil change, throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning and new fuel filter.
    3. Check for a vacuum leak.

A p0300 is not a specific code so you will have to investigate.
    Thanks for the reply, I did do a major tune-up when i bought it so I changed the plugs, air filter, etc, etc and also just ran through a good dose of Seafoam fuel cleaner. Other than this the dealer told me to wait and see if it happens again to make it easier to diagnose since it never gave a specific cylinder error. Anyways thanks again for the quick response! Anybody else with any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHMAN00 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I did do a major tune-up when i bought it so I changed the plugs, air filter, etc, etc and also just ran through a good dose of Seafoam fuel cleaner. Other than this the dealer told me to wait and see if it happens again to make it easier to diagnose since it never gave a specific cylinder error. Anyways thanks again for the quick response! Anybody else with any ideas?
    Plugs looked ok? Check for a vacuum leak next, like around the throttle body. Make sure the TB is plugged in. Did you clean the TB?

Post Thanks / Like
    Id say the spark plugs - and don't forget to check the connectors as well - mine was dirty and caused one cylinder to misfire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydahsmils2001 View Post
    Plugs looked ok? Check for a vacuum leak next, like around the throttle body. Make sure the TB is plugged in. Did you clean the TB?
    Plugs were changed about 4K ago and I just ran a good strong dose of Seafoam fuel system cleaner through a week or two ago. I never actually took off the intake duct and cleaned the throttle body itself but maybe I will look into that tonight? Anyways thanks much for all the ideas here it gives me a starting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadl0ck View Post
    Id say the spark plugs - and don't forget to check the connectors as well - mine was dirty and caused one cylinder to misfire.
    I assume you mean the connectors for the coil pak ontop of each plug correct? I think from memory they are kind of or really hidden from the intake plenum correct? I know they are tucked away so just want to make sure before I start ripping things apart. Thanks for the idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to update profile, but from the "hidden under pleneum" comment-I'd say you have a V6. The 0300 multiple misfire can come from many things.
    First is to check plugs/wires as that can cause some issues: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=220901

Others that had that code had a stuck or broken valve spring.
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had posted in your previous post about the Cam and Crank sensors before you mentioned the misfire code. Interestingly enough I Had the same code and VERY similar symptoms (including the throttle hesitation) in that same Nissan (yeah she can be a b1tch like that). I swapped the coil packs between cylinders 3 & 4 and sure enough the code followed. I chenged out the coil pack and have been good ever since. It went bad fast and even caused the car to go into limp mode. I'm no expert on the Maggie electrics, but isn't each coil pack connected to 2 plugs, so maybe that would be why you get a "multiple cylinder" misfire. Just my $.02.
    Last edited by mike777; 01-04-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    2005 MRT, CV, K&N CAI, 20" Black Powder Coat CSRT OEM Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdragich View Post
    Need to update profile, but from the "hidden under pleneum" comment-I'd say you have a V6. The 0300 multiple misfire can come from many things.
    First is to check plugs/wires as that can cause some issues: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=220901

Others that had that code had a stuck or broken valve spring.
    Yes you are correct it is the 3.5 V6 and yes I also need to update my personal info. Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    possible candidate for TSB 09-010-06.

link seems to be broken at this time. hope it's back up soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnkychkn View Post
    possible candidate for TSB 09-010-06.

link seems to be broken at this time. hope it's back up soon.
    Well unfortunatly it sounds like what maybe my issue to be honest, which sucks cause it definetley sounds like something over my head. I know just because it's a TSB it doesn't mean it's warranty ecspecially since mines now 5 model years old. So I guess I can just call the dealer and see what they say and then go from there. I wonder if there is anyway for them to run the VIN and see if that has been done? I just hate to take it in and spend the $$ to find out either it has been done previously or needs to be done but isn't the problem.

I noticed in the TSB it said something about this happening sometimes due to not letting the engine warm up to full operating temperature. This is my wifes car and usually it is used for a quick 5-10 minute commute so I can almost guarantee it doesn't get to normal operating temperature most days. It does get a good highway run but honestly only every other week or so.

Share This Thread