Post Thanks / Like

Cam and Crank out of sync

This has just been a nightmare, after weeks putting in a new (to me) motor, then spendng big bucks upgrading everything else becasue it was running so good (too much stuff to list).

Now after running great for a few weeks I am getting some strange noises when trying to start the car, and it is running like **** (if it stays running at all). I figured I had a bad starter and the bendix drive was sticking, dragging down the motor. Swapped the starter so Nope.

Took it to Chrysler (50,000 on an 05 300C but somehow it's not covered) and paid the $100 to have it starscanned (DS Trinity was not getting any codes), they are seeing that my cam adn crank are out of sync. Since I didn't touch my Cam or Crank during the motor swap I am kinda at a loss.

Pulled a valve cover and rotated the motor by the Harmonic balancer pully, all the valves seem to be opening. So prob not a broken cam.

Any ideas as my trusty CHrylser techs are shrugged shoulders on this one. If I don't get this fixed this 300 is getting mumifed for the remainder.

-Joe

If this was a bad Crank Sensor (Knock sensor???) or cam sensor I would be getting a code

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the chain tensioner broke off the timing set?

Worlds first N/A stock motor LX Mopar 11sec.1/4mi. pass! Best SLB 11.660@117.63 1.70 60ft.
    Personal best time - heads, cam, ported intake, tune, 3,975#RW 11.071@126 1.51 60ft.

PWR 440 on the way!!
    BFNY for the install!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the chain had some wear in it and slipped you could be retarded (one tooth off)

What are the stats on the motor you put in there?

Posted via LXFMobile

HULK is offline West Coast Style Meets East Coast Power

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant see how they could be out of sync if the car was running great for an extended time prior to this. Sorry I cant help you more here, but Im willing to bet this is a real stupid porblem (something small and minor) that is a headache more than anything else. Therefore, my money is on something electrical.... probably a sensor like you said.

Good luck with it... dont give up just yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Simans82 View Post
    Compared to your modding addiction, I'm just looking at the coke on the table. You on the other hand, you're more like Scarface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfox0099 View Post
    If the chain had some wear in it and slipped you could be retarded (one tooth off)

What are the stats on the motor you put in there?

Posted via LXFMobile
    First of all I am sure I am at least one tooth off, not sure about the motor.

The motor is a stock 5.7 with 22K out of an 07 R/T.

I was already pulling the front of the motor back off to see what I can see.

Chrysler techs wanted to pull the tranny to look at the Flexplate sensor I didn't even think we had one of those. (still not sure we do)

Post Thanks / Like
    there is no flexplate sensor....there is a crank sensor behind the starter....sounds like you broke the timing chain tensioner to me.

Posted via LXFMobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    there is no flexplate sensor....there is a crank sensor behind the starter....sounds like you broke the timing chain tensioner to me.

Posted via LXFMobile
    most likely x2

I'd be unstoppable if it wasnt for Physics & Law enforcement

Post Thanks / Like
    replace it with a double roller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleMan305 View Post
    replace it with a double roller
    replace it with stock.....that double roller is a headache.

Posted via LXFMobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi31 View Post
    replace it with stock.....that double roller is a headache.

Posted via LXFMobile
    I was always under the impression that the doubles were better and easier to adjust.
    Last edited by MuscleMan305; 08-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Share This Thread