Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Lightning Bolt and Stalling - Help!

I've been having intermittent issues with my '06 SRT8 stalling and more recently the car dying with the cruise set at 80 mph. The back story: for about the last year or so, every 4-6 fill-ups the car would just stall right after filling up. When I started paying attention, it appeared that it would happen after I filled up at 7-11, so I stopped going there for gas. But then I realized it didn't matter where I filled up, it would happen for about the first 100 miles after every 4th - 6th fill up. I don't overfill the tank, when it clicks, I take it out.

The last time it did it, I was on my way to the mechanic to get a trans service, so I thought perfect, he can check this out too. He hooked it up to the star scan and no codes were present. I had the trans service done and new plugs were installed also.

Most recently I took a trip from Dallas to Chicago and at exactly 4.5 hours into the trip, with the cruise set at 80 mph, the car went into limp mode and died. It was 1 am, my children were sleeping in the back, so I pulled over and shut the car off. Started back up and continued driving until another 2 hours in and it happened again. Shut the car off, re-started and drove the remaining 8 hours without cruise control on and had no problems.

On the drive home, it made it 4 hours before the dreaded lightning bolt came on and the car died. Again, cruise control set at 80 mph. The car died 4 more times on the way home, each at about 3-4 hours. The final time nearly got me and my children killed as I was in the left lane doing 80 mph, cars all around and a semi on my a$$ when the car died. I had to cut the truck off next to me and run him off the road to avoid being roadkill by the semi.

The car has 63k miles on it and is stock except for resonator delete. Like I said, it was serviced before my trip at 60k miles but had been doing this off and on for the past year - and can never be duplicated and no codes have been stored.

I'm about to take a trip from Dallas to Phoenix and I do not want to be stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. I do not have an extended warranty on the car nor do I have $ for lengthy diagnostic procedures. I'm hoping somebody has an idea of what is going wrong with this car. Thanks very much!

2006 300 SRT8 -Totaled 2/25/11 :(
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport, Nero, 5 speed. "Short-shot" intake, full black Abarth interior, Abarth steering wheel, Eibach Sportline springs with Abarth shocks & struts. Black 16" sport wheels, black door handles, trunk handle, emblems & front mustache. Blacked out front & rear side markers, fender lights & DRLs, Turbo Tail Lights, Turbo Smoked Headlights, DDM Tuning 35w 5000k HIDs with slim ballasts & 3M Color Stable tint ( 35% front sides, 20% rear ).

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading alot about the ground circuit in these cars being terrible and possibly causing the ETC light. How old is the battery? Are there any connections loose?
    '05 Magnum RT: 392 Twin TC70 Turbo Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumRT05 View Post
    I remember reading alot about the ground circuit in these cars being terrible and possibly causing the ETC light. How old is the battery? Are there any connections loose?
    Pretty sure it's the original battery, and no I haven't found any loose connections. I don't understand it only occurring after 4+ hours of continuous driving??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTrainer View Post
    Pretty sure it's the original battery, and no I haven't found any loose connections. I don't understand it only occurring after 4+ hours of continuous driving??
    The thing I find odd is the fact that there are no codes present whatsoever. Whenever I used to get the ETC light, it would always show a code. It turns out it was the TPS and bad MAP sensor scaling, but I have aftermarket items so that was my problem.

Could the battery possibly be going bad and causing all the codes to erase when it experiences the stalling? Are there loose ground/chassis connections, a loose PCM wire? Thats about all I can come up with if there arent any codes. Of course, Id wait for fnky or fargo or Hemi31, etc to chime in but just throwing out my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be related to my fuel tank problems......................

It seems the diverter valve in the gas tank can go bad, it separates fumes from liquids..........

It sends raw fuel to the vapor canister, plugs it up - car stalls because fuel can not reach engine.

As long as I keep the gas tank below 3/4 full, I have no problems. The diverter valve is not replaceable, must replace whole gas tank to fix problem. I just live with it..............

When car stalls, loosen gas cap - makes it easier to restart.

This is not covered under warranty.....................

Bob

Parts I have replaced with no luck:

Bob in Ocala, Florida, 05' Magnum RT, 74 years young - married 53 years. Superchips tuner & Flowmaster 40's. 402 Motoring rear spoiler, mud flaps, tinted & painted tail lights. Danko shaker hood, 69' Charger grille, front spoiler, rear diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem, would stutter and sometimes die- after driving for about an hour. Dealer could find no problems, also no codes. Turned out to be the two ground straps on the valve covers(one each side) were not grounding properly, the terminal end that pushes on the stud was very loose, and there was rust on the stud. I modified the terminal so I could put it under the bolt head and tightened it down- all of the problems gone! Check your grounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was a loose connection somewhere, wouldn't it occur more often? The lightning bolt never comes on during 99% of my driving, it's only happening on very long trips of continuous driving??

I will check the connections again. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried doing the key thing to show codes
    performance mods:mopar cai,diablo tuner,magnaflow catback,custom billet strut brace,275-40-20 toyo proxe 4, BT catch can ,180 thermostat
    visual mods:chrome pillars,door handles and mirrors,rear glass wing,BT badges,BT center caps,BT engine dress up kit,led tails, clear side markers,tint
    first track experience-13.1 at 108...just added 6k lows and fogs..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN82 View Post
    have you tried doing the key thing to show codes
    yes - 1 time I got P2173, the rest of the times, no codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTrainer View Post
    yes - 1 time I got P2173, the rest of the times, no codes.
    http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/P2173

Sounds like you might have a bad throttle body ....

Billet Tech custom billet products Online Store

Many pictures of our products can be viewed here

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FloridaRT;3075627]Might be related to my fuel tank problems......................

It seems the diverter valve in the gas tank can go bad, it separates fumes from liquids..........

It sends raw fuel to the vapor canister, plugs it up - car stalls because fuel can not reach engine.

As long as I keep the gas tank below 3/4 full, I have no problems. The diverter valve is not replaceable, must replace whole gas tank to fix problem. I just live with it..............

Bob

---

Isn't this part of the smog system (which has a considerable longer warranty than the factory, new car warranty)?
    06 MSRT. KW, Hotchkis, and REM. Predator, Corsa, and AFE. No more Ram Heads -- Flying Skulls instead (on BT badge, sills, center caps, and underhood; and on Jinah's mats and console cover). Entirely shaved, no rear wiper. SRT door pulls, SRT pedals, Lloyd's HEMI luggage mat, leather shift bezel and matched knob, dash kit matching factory trim, Mopar IPOD, hardwired V1, Mopar hidden hitch, yada yada

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lmbcfls;3076002]
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaRT View Post
    Might be related to my fuel tank problems......................

Bob

---

Isn't this part of the smog system (which has a considerable longer warranty than the factory, new car warranty)?

Nope....................

Just out of luck.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AWD_Gabe View Post
    http://www.aboutautomobile.com/DTC/P2173

Sounds like you might have a bad throttle body ....
    bingo..... just what i was thinking. the lightening bolt is throttle body limp mode and something i dealt with for about a year after i installed a blower on a ported throttle body. it only would happen during extended driving on the highway..... very similar to what the OP explained he is dealing with. i have even heard of issues where clamps were ovrtightened on intake hoses connected to the throttle body and caused issues. i recently changed back to a stock tb and my limp mode issues are done. the OP may very well have a throttle body crapping out.
    FLXC President

10.06 @ 140 mph PWR forged 6.1 Procharger F1A Nitrous Outlet
    AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!

"This is what I love about drag racing. I feel an intense focus as everything is extremely loud and quiet around me simultaneously. Nothing else besides me and my immediate environment exists for these short moments." - Budoboy

Post Thanks / Like
    Update - car stalled 3 times today - no codes, just died when I slowed down from 50 mph to a stop light. Wouldn't re-start on the first attempt, had to shut it off twice each time and re-start. This is beyond frustrating with a car that costs as much as this one does!

Post Thanks / Like
    replace the thottle body. i am willing to bet the tb limp modes issues will go away. like i made mention to earlier, i had the same type of issue only after long extended driving, especially with cruise set. swapped out throttle bodies and no issues at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread