Post Thanks / Like

Painting Gauge Pods to Match SRT8 A-Pillars

I looked all over for a good matching paint, but struck out left and right. I don't know if different years and models have different A-pillars, but the '06 SRT8 is a tannish color with tiny black specks in it. This is what I wound up doing.

To prep the black gauge pod, all I did was scrub it thoroughly with a green scotch pad and hot, soapy water to get it super clean and dull the finish.

Started with this:

This is the paint and clear coat that worked pretty well. I kept spraying light coats of color and compared it with the stock pillar I was going to cover with the gauge pod. It didn't look close until I sprayed a few light coats of the clear.

Still didn't match the right side as well as I wanted, so I painted that one too.

This is the end result. It's not a perfect match to the headliner, but all in all it's not too bad.

Arrington Forged 6.1​..ported 5.7 Eagles..HHP Ported Intake
    227/235 cam..Paramount Trans..Dominator..RPM Roll Bar
    Nitrous Outlet..DSS driveshaft..CTP DSL..'09 Getrag 3.06
    Kooks..Corsa..LMI 4"..ATI 13% UD pulley..Billet Tech..BFNY
    11.65@117.3 w/1.61 60' NA--10.68@126.23 w/1.51 60' N20

Thanks fnkychkn thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    did you install the new piller overtop of the stock one or did your remove the stock one and just put the new one in place of it? I was told to install the gauge piller over the stock one and there is a gap at the top. looks bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 426srt8 View Post
    did you install the new piller overtop of the stock one or did your remove the stock one and just put the new one in place of it? I was told to install the gauge piller over the stock one and there is a gap at the top. looks bad.
    Yep, I drilled a couple 3/4" holes in the stock one to pass the wire harness's through and put the new one over the top, so I could use the factory clips.

What I'm gonna do is put some velcro up at the top to keep the gauge pod snug to the stock A pillar. Now it stays for a while and then the gap opens up. Hoping the velcro solves that, and will still be able to separate the two to get at the gauges easier. I don't like the look of those little plastic pins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good enough to be stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did the Velcro work for you??? I did the same thing, but every time the temp. goes up, the velcro comes loose. There is no other attachment provided so I am in a bad spot. I have triple guages, so the weight his just a tad more than yours or stock. Has any other luck or advise??
    What we've got here..........is.........failure to communicate!!!

2005 Magnum R/T, Bright Silver, Mopar CAI, A-Pillar 3 guage pod, Nav. System added, SuperChips Flashpaq, custom dash, engine comaprtment, tinted tails, and detailed brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    good deal buddy hows it going. ?

and your always moving guages around lol where is your trinity now uptop>?
    [/SIGP][SIGPIC]

Licensed and Insured.

Modern Muscle 426 Built and ready to roll.

*NYINSTALLER*

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AfterH...348401?sk=wall

Tranmission valve body, torque converters. and blue top installs.

contact me for all your upgrading needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts Magnum View Post
    How did the Velcro work for you??? I did the same thing, but every time the temp. goes up, the velcro comes loose. There is no other attachment provided so I am in a bad spot. I have triple guages, so the weight his just a tad more than yours or stock. Has any other luck or advise??
    Velcro came loose on me too.. I wound up using a strip of 3M double sided tape up at the top and it's as solid as a rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Afterhours Mopar Performance View Post
    good deal buddy hows it going. ?

and your always moving guages around lol where is your trinity now uptop>?
    I'm good Jon, you ?? Gauges are all right where you left them... This is a thread from last year before I had a Trinity

Share This Thread