Post Thanks / Like

3.5L V-6 Dual Conversion Reso Delete 6DB vs 10DB?

First of all let me say I'm very impressed with Bob being on here and answering everybody's questions. I spoke to you a few days ago - very helpful...

Charger stock 3.5L single exhaust. I love this car and can't wait to drive it everyday. Mostly 1/2 hour to and from work. Occasional long business trips. Light weekend driving. The 3 boys mostly travel in wife's caravan, but I take them to games and church. Wife drives or rides in Charger occasionally.

Being a detail nut I thought I would examine what really matters to me with a future exhaust mod. It's all about sound, don't really care about the performance. This is what causes the adrenaline rush...

A.) Driveway or parking lot start-up - a nice aggressive growl
    B.) Driveway or parking lot idling - a distinct but low rumble
    C.) Driving through the neighborhood at 10-20 MPH, low rumble - very important to not be obnoxious and cause a scene. If it's too loud at 30 MPH I just won't go that fast.
    D.) Accelerating on the main roads - 30 MPH and over, I want to feel like a muscle car is underneath - good acceleration sound and overall feeling of power
    E.) Coming up to stop lights - distinct but low rumble - don't want too much attention. Not there to challenge anybody.
    F.) Highway driving 55+ MPH, need to feel that muscle underneath - probably more of a feeling that sound - I like to listen to the radio on medium volume. I'm not really sure what drone sounds like but maybe like riding next to a loud truck or beater car? Anyway, I want that muscle feel, definitely louder than stock.

So, 6 dB or 10 dB?

My concern about 6 is that it would be good for...
    C.) Driving through the neighborhood at 10-20 MPH, low rumble - very important to not be obnoxious and cause a scene.
    E.) Coming up to stop lights - distinct but low rumble - don't want too much attention.

...but not so good for...
    D.) Accelerating on the main roads - 30 MPH and over, I want to feel like a muscle car is underneath - good acceleration sound and overall feeling of power
    F.) Highway driving 55+ MPH, need to feel that muscle car underneath

Concern about 10dB is that it will be good for...
    F.) Highway driving 55+ MPH, need to feel that muscle car underneath

...but too obnoxious for...
    C.) Driving through the neighborhood at 10-20 MPH, low rumble - very important to not be obnoxious and cause a scene.
    E.) Coming up to stop lights - distinct but low rumble - don't want too much attention. Not there to challenge anybody.

Sorry for the long post - any and all thoughts and especially Bob's advice is welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the Blastin Bob videos and sound clips .....it really helps make a decision. It's what I did.
    I ended up getting the 10 db...it's not obnoxious but it does sound stock.
    I'm glad I did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks scott386

Thanks for the info scott386, nice vid on your Mag.
    From your video, it's evident you definitely have nice start-up growl and idling rumble.

Most of the BB videos I've seen are directly in the back of the exhausts on the ground. I really can't tell if that sound is what you hear around the car - in front, etc. So when you start up, would you say the neighbors can all hear you in the peace of their living rooms? I.e., does it sound like the newest hotrod on the block or is it more subtle?

What's it like accelerating to around 30MPH? Do you get the feel of a muscle car? What about coming up to stop lights? Do people around you hear you coming? Do you feel like the car is standing out and attracting attention?

Finally, on the highway, do you still get that muscle car feel?

Thanks man, really appreciate the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got A.D.D., too much reading for me.

6db for the family/business car. 10db for the cruiser or person who doesn't mind attracting some attention when you jump on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Bob, I'll try to keep it short!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 10db with the stock muffler and it is not loud. I plan on removing the stock muffler and replacing it with a Flowmaster Super 40 or 44 in the rear future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Juice! Mean lookin white monster you have there. I bet people think you're Mr. Policeman coming up in their rear.

Been thinking a conservative strategy for me might be to go with the 6dB glasspack kit. If too quiet, then I can always work it up with a Magnaflow muffler. If I go with the 10dB and find it's too loud for me, or get bugged by any drone, I don't have any option to go back. Does this make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont know if you have family but when I called Blastin Bobs I was told to go with either the 5db or 7db because anything higher would cause a drone in my car. Since mine is a kid hauler and the kids watch the tv in the car I was told to stay away from anything higher then the 7db. If you dont have kids and just want it to sound loud go with the glasspacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PBM300c

Yes, family car about 10% of the time. In your post you said to go with the glasspacks if I want louder. Did you mean glasspacks if you want quieter? I thought the glasspacks were resonators, whereas the other pipes (10dB, etc.) are straight through? Am I confuzzed?
    Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin View Post
    Yes, family car about 10% of the time. In your post you said to go with the glasspacks if I want louder. Did you mean glasspacks if you want quieter? I thought the glasspacks were resonators, whereas the other pipes (10dB, etc.) are straight through? Am I confuzzed?
    Thx.
    Glasspacks are quieter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Blastin Bob.

PBM300c, is your 300C beefier than the 3.5? Is the "c" an equivalent of an RT? Just curious if you did this mod yet, and how it's going for you? I've seen just a couple vids of the 3.5L with the 6db kit, but some of them, I think, are of 300's with a beefier engine than mine. I was hoping to see some vids of the kit on the exact engine I have. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob,
    I'm still going back and forth between the 6 and 10 db kits. Thinking 6 will be too quiet for me, but hoping 10 is not too loud.

Are there different variations in the 10 db kits - some that are louder than others? Do the different types of tips make a difference here or are they all the same?

Also, if I install the 10 kit and it's too loud, is there a way to tone it down after install - i.e. by using a different muffler or tips?

Thx, Al.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabin The 300C is kinda like the RT. I has the 5.7 in it with dual exhaust. I have not done this yet but want to soon. I guess Im still up in the air on what way to go and thats my problem. I have two kids I drive around a lot but want the 4" tips so I will probably go with the 6db. However I would really like to hear a video of the interior drone of the 6db. I am not too worried about the sound just a little more growl but need to keep it family friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    PBM300c, thanks for clarifying. Reason I ask is because after watching videos, it seems the 6dB kit is louder on the 5.7 engines than the 3.5 (makes sense). I did see a video of a 300C interior with the 9dB kit and it had lot of internal sound. Seems like the 6dB kits would be the ticket for the beefier engines, whereas the 3.5 needs more than 6db to wake up. Over & out.

Share This Thread