Post Thanks / Like

lxforums mail server blacklisted

Around April 8 or so I stopped receiving email from the forums. Tracked it down to the IP the outgoing emails from the forums are coming from:

Goto: http://george.surbl.org/lookup.html
    Enter: 69.94.112.187 (which is ram.ramtruckforum.com)

-- snip maillog --
    Apr 19 10:05:59 delfino postfix/smtpd[10811]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from ram.ramtruckforum.com[69.94.112.187]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [69.94.112.187] blocked using hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.2; SURBL 187.112.94.69 See http://www.surbl.org/lists.html; from=<.....@lxforums.com> to=<....@.....> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.ramtruckforums.com>
    -- end snip --

Post Thanks / Like
    should also mention that the ip was reported to their websites blacklist <http://www.surbl.org/lists.html#ws>. Most likely lxforums are on a shared ip with some other sites?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a form on JunkEmailFilter.com to get it removed from their list. I just plugged in the IP and it says it should be removed in the next 5 minutes.

I hate filtering companies that use reputation lists from users. People are lazy and instead of going and either closing their account or setting their forum account so it doesn't send them messages, they instead just flag them as spam. Many of these RBL's will blacklist an IP after just a few reported messages.
    " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have to deal with this ALL the time. Anyone remember BLARS BL? Some fly-by-night attorney set up a real-time blackhole, would throw just about anyone on it and his website stated you could hire him to remove you from his list at $250/hour, 2 hour minimum, $1000 deposit due in advance. What a joke.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ran a check of our IP on a mass-spam database lookup (dnsstuff.com) and SURBL doesn't list us. Five-Ten-SG does ... they think "IP address 69.94.112.187 is listed here as lickedadd.com.farm5"

oooooh kay.

Blacklist services are far from perfect. A good antispam system NEVER relies on the results of a single blacklist for this reason. If mail gets rejected by a single blacklist result thats the sign of a mail server admin who doesn't know what s/he is doing.

I do remember BLARS BL. I never realized the guy was an attorney who was looking for money though. I always thought the guy was joking and it was his way of saying "don't effing bother me, spammer!".

Our problem is actually our user base. People let email boxes go dead and then their emailed subscription notices go to a nonexistent mailbox. At that point when some time has passed we run the risk of falling into a honey pot kind of trap. Fortunately, those are nowhere near as aggressive as they once were. There's literally no way for VBulletin to do even halfway decent mail list management. You have to manually cull the bad addresses. Ain't gonna happen at this level of activity. I tried it for awhile when I set up this mail server. fuggedaboudit.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Share This Thread