Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

charging a DEAD optima battery?

Got a yellow top in my truck....its been parked for about 8 months and the battery is DEAD. I put it on a charger for about 7 hours and it doesn't seem to have budged....any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it going 12 to 24... Should take the charge
    ****Click here for the Superbee Owners Group****

.......: 2008 Charger SRT8 Superbee 534/1000 :......

"..IF IT WON'T FIT, FORCE IT, IF IT BREAKS...IT NEEDED TO BE FIXED ANYWAY..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, its a basic charger I borrowed and doesn't turn off when fully charged....
    What about an automatic trickle charger? I got nothing but time...just don't wanna mess something up.

Post Thanks / Like
    How dead is it? How many volts is it resting at?

Usually if a battery rest below 6 volts, the cells have already sulfated and won't take a charge again.

Your best bet to revive it, not a guarantee, but try charging it at 1 amp for 12 hours. Remove the charge, let sit for 4-6 hours and see where its resting at. You may need to do this over the course of a week.

But its not common to bring a battery back and it be reliable after being drained below 6 volts.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Idunno what its at.

My buddies efan drained his battery and it just clicked....so I took mine out of my truck to try it and it didn't even click when we tried to start it.

Guess I will put it on the trickle charger and hope for the best. I'm kinda committed to using an optima due to its relocation and I really don't wanna have to buy a new one right now lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go here is what I did way back:

So I have been reviving this battery, and so far so good.

I have a 200/40/2 amp charger.

The voltage of the battery before I began charging was 9.8v (yep that's right even after the auto store supposedly charged it and tested it. and yes I know that means it was deeply discharged.) So I followed some instructions by a company that uses Optima batteries all the time.

-First, I charged the battery at 200amps for 10min. then let it cool down for 15min.**
    -I repeated that 4 times.
    -Then, I charged it at 2amps for 15hours.
    -I checked the battery voltage: 12.75volts.
    -24hours later I checked the voltage again: 12.75.

So.... it is looking promising so far.

**I would not recommend this on a regular battery**

429 with a 3L twinscrew
    -my vehicle http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=169998

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery has been good ever since

Post Thanks / Like
    from a Jeep Liberty diesel TSB regarding charging spiral cell batteries:

Vehicles equipped with a diesel engine utilize a unique spiral cell battery. This battery has
    a maximum charging voltage (14.4) that must not be exceeded in order to restore the
    battery to its full potential. Failure to use the following spiral cell battery charging
    equipment could result in damage to the battery or personal injury.
    Battery charging is the means by which the battery can be restored to its full voltage
    potential. A battery is fully-charged when:

Open-circuit voltage of the battery is 12.65 volts or above.

Battery passes Load Test.
    NOTE: The Midtronics Micro-420 cannot be used for testing spiral cell batteries.
    After the battery has been charged to 12.65 volts or greater, perform a load test as follows
    to determine the battery condition.
    NOTE: The battery charger used must be capable of charging a Spiral Cell Battery.
    1. Fully charge the battery.
    2. Remove the surface charge by loading the battery to 300 amps for 15 seconds.
    3. Load the battery to 1/2 of the Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) rating of the battery for 15
    seconds. Does the voltage drop below 9.6 volts?
    a. Yes >> The battery is faulty and must be replaced.
    b. No >> The battery is good, return the battery to service.
    The following approved battery charges, with Spiral Cell Battery capability, are available
    through teamPSE:

Associated W-6003A

OTC 1 Step OT-3641
    Midtronics MT-GR-921

Izzy pics

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianknight
    I got it all straightened out with them guys. All good... feel bad for calling 'em a stealership now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your best bet is to get a smart charger, one that regulates the battery and it cycles. then once its where it needs to be it will float charge to keep it good. I have revived several optimas this way and they work fine.
    "Big Ed"

2006 Charger R/T BB mods so far: 30% tint, Alpine/Rockford Fosgate Audio, Danko 69 grill, tinted/painted tails, drake billet strut brace, 3gcustomz underhood hydrodipped metal, oznium leds, aac colorshift halos.... more to come.

go go go go

Post Thanks / Like
    From Optima

http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...t/charging.php

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

How do I charge a deeply discharged battery?

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged. For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.
    If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.
    In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

Now I have heard from 3 different places (1 battery shop and 2 stereo shops) that the sulfation can be broke up by taking the battery and dropping if from about a foot off the ground 3-5 times. I have never tired this. When the plates (spiral coils in this case) have been broken up enough to expose the plates/coils, the normal charging "revives" the battery. The guy at the battery place is from the base that I work at. He did this 4 times and since the store exchanged the batteries with the original owner, he was able to "acquire" them for his 4 vehicles. If you do try this, do it out in the driveway, wear safety glasses and inspect the case for cracks each drop. Most times its the redtop that the stereo guys discharge instead of using the yellow top for deep cycling. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Last edited by JamminWagon; 04-05-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    The Vehicle Formally Known as JamminWagon

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I put it on an automatic trickle charger last night....just went to check on it and its making noises. :(
    Really hope I didn't just kill my battery

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yellow tops in boat and couple trucks. The one in the boat gets abused drained an sits during off season I trickle charge it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Adam, Iím sorry to hear about the problems youíve had with your battery. JamminWagon has linked to some good information from us on proper charging procedures. If you are following those procedures and the battery still hisses or is hot to the touch, you should discontinue charging immediately. We do not recommend dropping our batteries or charging them at a rate higher than 10 amps.

If your vehicle regularly sits unused for extended periods of time, a battery tender or maintainer is a great investment, which will help extend the life of your battery. The best units are microprocessor-controlled and offer specific settings for AGM batteries. If you have any questions relating to our batteries, Iíll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Post Thanks / Like
    What is causing the noise? I had it on 6A for about 10 hours, then 2A for 10....and it started making that noise with the 2A....and took it off as soon as I heard it, but I have no idea how long it had been making that noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread