Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car won't idle and white smoke from tailpipe!

Help! I have a 2005 Magnum R/T that has provided me with some good times. My problems started about two months ago as I was driving along. I stopped at a stoplight and when I went to take off, a 'lighning bolt' flashed on the dash, the power seemed to cut and then everything was fine in a split second. I drove the vehicle to a buddy of mine who put it on their shops computer, not a code reader, and he found no problems. He even checked the electrical system, again no issues.

The problem happened a week later, and again was just a split second. Last week, the same thing happened, except now the vehicle wouldn't start back up. I had it towed to a shop, and they said it was a crank angle sensor and a camshaft sensor. They replaced the parts and it starts but won't stay running. The shop said that the ECU had to be 'reflashed'. So the vehicle was towed over there and this is where things got even more strange.

The dealer told the shop that the vehicle has some sort of valve issue and now white smoke is coming from the tailpipe!! This never happened before so I am like WTF. I would have taken it to my buddy from the get go, but he only works weekends. I have now been without my car for three weeks, and still noone has given me anything concrete.

Has anyone had the same problems, I need some guidance. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    White smoke is generally an indicator of a bad head gasket.I would start out with a Leak Down test.That will prove if it is a head gasket or not.It will also show a bad valve,bad rings or a ton of other issues.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like head gasket to me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a common problem for the 5.7? The vehicle only has about 60K on it! It has never been overheated and isn't really driven that hard. What could have caused this.

Post Thanks / Like
    no it's not common at all......as a matter of fact the first I have heard of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally white smoke is anti-freeze being burnt in the engine. Has your rad level dropped?

Post Thanks / Like
    It could also be running very very VERY rich!.....Were there any 02 sensor codes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea , white smoke would indicate anti-freeze being burnt, i have never heard of this in our cars yet. Not sure why the sensors failed? Is the oil level higher than normal? maybe anti-freeze is leaking thru a crack or bad gasket into the crankcase too? as well as into the cylinders were it's burnt as white smoke.
    05' Magnum R/T HEMI Registry #889 CAI, JBA Ceramic shorties-CATless, MTCM, Predator , MDS, ESP, 3.06 Getrag swap, HALOS
    Aus liebe zum Automobile "Out of Love for the Automobile"

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very rich will produce black smoke (I know, I have a Mazda turbo). Yep, sounds like blown head gasket. If the exhaust smells like anti-freeze, that would be a sure sign.

'06 300C in Cool Vanilla
    Bentley Grill
    VentShades
    Splash Guards
    aFe Stage II CAI
    Bell 995 (bought one day too late )

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible it could be something like an intake manifold gasket? I know on the older GM 3100's they had an issue with intake manifold gaskets leaking and sometimes there would be white smoke coming from the tailpipe, similar to a head gasket issue.

Also, why would that lightning bolt flash as well as the ESP and the car shut off? Again, it runs but seems to have these new issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think intake manifolds have any water circulating. Guess it's possible, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
    Very, very rich will produce black smoke (I know, I have a Mazda turbo). Yep, sounds like blown head gasket. If the exhaust smells like anti-freeze, that would be a sure sign.
    Actually very very rich will produce choking white smoke through the cats.

srtjohn is offline Chrysler Chassis Master+,ASE MasterTech
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would highly recomend a cylinder leakage test!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qcoffey View Post
    Is it possible it could be something like an intake manifold gasket? I know on the older GM 3100's they had an issue with intake manifold gaskets leaking and sometimes there would be white smoke coming from the tailpipe, similar to a head gasket issue.

Also, why would that lightning bolt flash as well as the ESP and the car shut off? Again, it runs but seems to have these new issues.

Now this would make some sense, cause the car wont idle, I have seen them need to be replace on a 5.7 truck before (had a bad idle and the vac was all over the place) but cant remember if the guy had white smoke coming out the exhaust.

But still I would check your antifreeze level and oil level also. and then do a leak down test etc..
    CAM ONLY RECORD HOLDER 12.34 @108.89 & 1.66 60'
    Email mailed tuned by Brent@dtpracing.comComp268cam,

Post Thanks / Like
    05 with only 60k should have powertrain coverage left...

Jay
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread