Post Thanks / Like

removing charger shift knob

I looked on the forums but does anyone know the screw size to remove the shift knob? I fell that there is a screw on the chrome trim just seeing if anyone knows what size it is. Thinking about painting it....

Post Thanks / Like
    No screw just spins off, needs a little buge the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    hm.. i never herd of a screw you sure theres a screw i just replaced my shifter nob. first i read alot of forums saying its just a twist of but after a certain year they have a little crome peice at the bottom that you pull down first and then the nob slides right off the top. thats how mine was at least so just slide the chrome bottom peice down and the top part just literally pulls right off ... if it was the same as mine at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe that on 07's and newer, the shifter is held on by a hex screw. I'm not sure what size though, as I have an 06.

"Heimes Oppugnamus Et Montes Superamus"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a newer 07 and I believe its a hex screw cuz I can feel an opening in the chrome piece just trying to find the size
    Last edited by asseenontv23; 03-03-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mid year '07s there was a change. The chrome plastic piece at the bottom just pops down (may take a little prodding/prying with a small screw driver, then the knob just slides straight off. In the older LXs, it just simply unscrews by twisting - AFAIK, there are no factory shift knobs with a set screw to hold them in place.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you should.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK i have a 2009 chrysler 300c so i dono if its the same you know what to do to tripple check just put it in Nurtal and look i dont want you to break anything but yea i bought a shifter nob from a local shop but it wasent going to be in for a few days so i was going to pick it up on the thursday before work and i took it off the wednesday just to see how hard it was and put it right back on after just be careful the whole nob is plasic and will break easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asseenontv23 View Post
    I looked on the forums but does anyone know the screw size to remove the shift knob? I fell that there is a screw on the chrome trim just seeing if anyone knows what size it is. Thinking about painting it....
    It depends on the build date of your car. If the build date was 3/18/07 and before you have the twist off shift knob, 3/19/07 and after for the pull off knob.

If you have the later build you need to push down on the chrome ring and pull the handle upwards.

Bernie

2005 300C SRT8 - #72 of 252 (excl. 11 pilots) - #10 of 35 Canadian SRT8's built
    2008 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fatboy - Vance & Hines Big Shots STGD with FuelPak tune.
    2008 Jeep GC SRT8 - Custom Build/Custom Delivered by SRT - 1 of 1 in Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    So there's no hex screw then? I feel an opening like there is one but guess not I will try it

Post Thanks / Like
    so i got the chrome piece off is it suppose to be that hard to pull it off? i tried pulling it but it wont come off... dont wanna over due it and break something

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asseenontv23 View Post
    so i got the chrome piece off is it suppose to be that hard to pull it off? i tried pulling it but it wont come off... dont wanna over due it and break something
    I removed mine last weekend to install the billet replacement for the pink thingy.

It was pretty easy, just used a trim tool to pop the chrome ring down and pulled up on the shift knob. It didn't put up any fight.
    Previously known as 'alpha' and 'b.71'

Share This Thread