Thread: Dash Rattle???

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Rattle???

Hello Everyone! Hoping some of you fellow magnum owners can help me out on this. I have had the worse dash rattle for the longest time!!! It is really beginning to annoy me badly. I cant find anything at all loose and have taken to 3 dealerships and they cant find anything either. One dealership did notice that the rattle calmed down in different RPM ranges while idling. I myself notice that it will do it in drive and goes away when in neutral. Also if it is making the rattle in drive I can turn the wheels and it will calm. I am completely flabergasted as to what the hell is causing this rattle. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!!
    Last edited by FRESH4849; 02-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Project: Imported From Gotham City 300S
    2013 Chrysler 300S Hemi
    Wayne Enterprises Automotive Research Division

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of the dash seems to be rattlin'?
    Have you changed out the front speakers? Mine rattles because the stereo shop broke some of the clips that holder the speaker grille piece...

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly there was a TSB on the dash rattle; just do a search for TSB and have a look at them

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jy211 View Post
    What part of the dash seems to be rattlin'?
    Have you changed out the front speakers? Mine rattles because the stereo shop broke some of the clips that holder the speaker grille piece...
    It sounds like its right in the center of the dash. I have not changed out the speakers in the dash only the doors and the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi RT View Post
    If I remember correctly there was a TSB on the dash rattle; just do a search for TSB and have a look at them
    Thanks man for the info, I will look that up and see what I find

Post Thanks / Like
    just ditch the dash for weight savings :D....

joking aside, when do you hear the noise? does it get worse over bumps or is it just a constant noise that drones on with the engine? Can you pin point the noise from the top of the dash? When diagnosing rattles, it's sometimes a good idea to drive with someone in the pass-side, as they can sound different from the other side of the car...this is usually what I do. Also, to help pin-point faint dash noises, you can try a few things. Does pushing down on different areas of the top of the dash change the noise? if you lay a heavy jacket over the top of the dash and drive around, is it still as loud? (if it is, maybe the noise is actually in the center stack, and not from the top of the dash). I know they can be hard because they can sound like their coming from everywhere.

-with regards to rattles in general, I've seen the same problem occur in some cars only during low rpms or idle, others during high rpms....this is often just because each loose component responds to different vibration levels uniquely. If you stil have problems dianosing it, there's always the old "stethoscope and friend" method. One drives, one listens.
    Last edited by Jon Mopar; 02-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Dec '09 Car of the Month winner. Cdn (DSM) ride of the year

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
    just ditch the dash for weight savings :D....

joking aside, when do you hear the noise? does it get worse over bumps or is it just a constant noise that drones on with the engine? Can you pin point the noise from the top of the dash? When diagnosing rattles, it's sometimes a good idea to drive with someone in the pass-side, as they can sound different from the other side of the car...this is usually what I do. Also, to help pin-point faint dash noises, you can try a few things. Does pushing down on different areas of the dash change the noise? if you lay a heavy jacket over the top of the dash and drive around, is it still as loud? (if it is, maybe the noise is around the center stack, and not from the top of the dash).

-with regards to rattles in general, I've seen the same problem occur in some cars only during low rpms or idle, others during high rpms....this is just because often each loose component responds to different vibration level uniquely.
    1) Does not get worse over bumps its more constant when you are stopped at stoplight or stop sign or stopped in general but only does it in drive.
    2) I have tried to pin point it but very difficult all I can tell is that it is somewhere in the center by what it sounds like
    3)I have driven with the mechanic and we both hear it in the same area, we also pushed down on the dash AND various locations under the hood
    4)I have not tried the jacket thing but will do that and see what happens

Your statement about it doing it at certain RPMs is exactly correct in my case cause it doesnt do it all the time which is the tricky part about finding and it only does it in drive

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a bad dash rattle. Took it to the dealer because there was a TSB for it. They replaced two screws (near the front window) and no more rattle. Check it out...
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

2010 Challenger R/T - All Options Except Sunroof - Corsa Extreme Catback - Mopar CAI - ST Coilovers - Hankook Ventus 245/45/20 - American Racing Torque Thrust M Chrome Wheels - Much More To Come!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsMSRT8 View Post
    I had a bad dash rattle. Took it to the dealer because there was a TSB for it. They replaced two screws (near the front window) and no more rattle. Check it out...
    Thanks Tod! I have to take it to the dealer for some other stuff when I get a chance so I will get them to look at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a dash rattle up by the passenger side speaker. A little sanding, tightening some screws and foam rubber solved it. Sorry you can't pin point it very well. Definately have them check all the screws. Mine were loose and caused the dash to squeak and chirp

2012 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
    Redline Pearlcoat
    Mopar CAI - FR GCSRT8 22s - Diablosport InTune DCX

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if you have a sun roof, but my dash rattle (that sounds like you describe) turned out to be in my sun roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw turtle View Post
    Don't know if you have a sun roof, but my dash rattle (that sounds like you describe) turned out to be in my sun roof.
    Nope no sunroof

Share This Thread