Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Please help identify this sound! Whining, warbling, howling sound on acceleration.

OK folks, I'm really scratching my head on this! I'm experiencing a unidentifiable noise on my '06 Magnum R/T that my dealership cannot figure out. I've had it in multiple times over the last couple of years and nothing has come of it.

The best I can describe it is a "warble" or a "whining" sound when accelerating between 1750 and 2500 RPM. It almost sounds like a bad bearing or something. It actually almost sounds like the howl of an owl that won't shut up! It sounds like it's coming from beyond the firewall. It only happens during the colder months (late fall through early spring). As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, the noise stops. The noise is NOT heard during acceleration when the car is stationary (in park or neutral), only while the car is in motion. Sometimes it's louder than other times. When it's really loud, the same noise can sometimes be heard while braking (although it's a bit quieter than when accelerating, not nearly as loud but it's there). The noise happens at any speed on both low speed roads and highways. Usually, the noise won't be heard until the car has been driven for a couple minutes.

Listen to this audio clip. I'm blipping the throttle for short bursts (stuck in traffic). Each time I'm on the gas, you can hear the sound. I found that turning down the bass on my PC speakers made it easier to hear it.

http://www.zamedia.ca/zamedia/downloads/audio/magsound.mp3

Does anybody have any idea what the heck this could be?!? Please help!

Thanks so much guys and gals. I really appreciate it.

-
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have a catch can?
    IF so a few members on several forums have found that [including me] that it is the hose thats collapsed from the pcv to the can.
    if you dont have a catch can check it any way and your pcv valve to make sure its clean and the hose from the pcv to the intake isnt soft and spongy-it will whoo like a owl-mine did and drove me crazy for weeks till i found it.
    A cai will amplifi the sound
    Last edited by sound&security; 01-23-2010 at 11:15 PM.

I'd be unstoppable if it wasnt for Physics & Law enforcement

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet a wheel bearing.... easy 15 min change and once you have the wheel off and the rotor just spin the hub and it will feel like its grinding or make the noise.... may not be far enough along that you notice its the bearing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    6.08 l magnum R/T
    371 PWR stroker, 13.8.1 compression, E85,Thitek Heads.
    My new build!!! Thanks to Kent Irwin
    http://www.pwrparts.com/
    Tuning By Mike at
    http://www.ostdyno.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Torque converter?
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses so far. Appreciate it.

I don't have a catch can and thanks for the other suggestions.

Re. the wheel bearing, wouldn't I hear it when I'm not accelerating as well? It only happens during acceleration. No noise when the vehicle is coasting.

Re. the torque converter, that was one of my original thoughts too. The symptoms match what's stated in this TSB: http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_2100306.pdf but my vehicle's build date doesn't match the TSB.

Any other thoughts out there? I'm hoping somebody has experienced the identical noise I'm experiencing.

Thanks again.

-
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    ive got an 06 also, also took the dealer three trips to figure out. it was worn out tension pulley, but i knew it the whole time the dealer just didnt want to believe me then the warranty ran out and they figured it out!! I said eff them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiMD View Post
    ive got an 06 also, also took the dealer three trips to figure out. it was worn out tension pulley, but i knew it the whole time the dealer just didnt want to believe me then the warranty ran out and they figured it out!! I said eff them.
    Hmmm. Did it sound similar to mine? Did it only make noise during acceleration? I'm thinking I'd be able to hear it even while the vehicle is in park/neutral while accelerating. I could be wrong though.

I'm warrantied until almost 2013 so they have a good while before my warranty is up!

Thanks for the info!

-
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else experience something similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    I still think it is the torque converter or in the tranmission. Have you flushed and filled the trans? Even checked the level or condition of the fluid?

Without being in the car to pin point the origination of the noise it's tough to diagnose the noise from a sound clip. Have you checked all vacuum hoses and air intake hoses?

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, is it the W1FE unit? Removal of these sometimes solve noises that happen upon acceleration.

Anyway, I would look towards the pulleys and/or belt before the converter. Pop the belt off, inspect it closely, spin the pulleys you can, look for a wobble or some damage to the pulley itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe be a cracked flex plate. It sounds like intake though. Can you take it to a dyno, pop the hood and see if you can isolate the noise??.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't listen to the audio clip b/c I'm at work, but what you're describing sounds like something I'm getting too. If it is the same as mine, I'm confident it's NOT the torque converter...my torque converter already died and it was a different sound and happened at different times than this.

This sound is a gargling whine/whistle coming from the firewall area and it's starting to drive me nuts!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I listened to the clip. Not what mine is doing now and also doesn't sound like my torque converter went it went bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear end???

I have a "whine" coming from my R/T while I have the CC on and doing 60MPH, it goes away when I decelerate or accelerate. It also does this when maintaining a constant speed. (i.e. 45 or 50) When I'm under power during cruise it starts. I am wondering if it is the rear end??? The car has 13K. I did not start hearing this till a couple thousand miles ago. I am waiting for it to get worse or running out of warranty (ends in 2015) before taking it in. The whine sounds like rear gears that are not meshing correctly. I don't know if it sounds like yours as I can't hear the clip because of no speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    power steering pump?? Check the fluid level
    Hemi Registry 0436 PWR Forged 6.1 block -Novi1500 -Modern Muscle ported intake manifold - Indy Heads - PWR cam - TTI Longtubes - Paramount TC/Transmission- BFNY 3.06 Getrag-325/45/17M&H Installed by: Afterhours Mopar Performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread