Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Why Didn't I Pass Inspection?

I hadn't moved the car in 3 days, So i woke up around 8:30am turned the car on for a few minutes cleared the thermostat code and drove to the garage for the inspection.

Note: This was the first test of the day.

Monitors Status
    Misfire Ready
    Fuel Sys Ready
    Comp Cmpnt Ready
    Catalyst Not Ready
    Heated Cat N/A
    Evap Not Ready
    2nd Sys N/A
    Air Cond N/A
    o2 Sens Not Ready
    o2 Sens Htr Ready
    EGR Sys Not Ready
    DLC Pass

After the test was done the guy said it failed due to not driving it much in the past few days and that I had to drive it on the HWY for constant HWY speeds, and that i could bring it back and it ought to pass.

So i drove it to the bank to my work all in all it was about 28 miles, so i brought it back in around 5:15pm, and

Note: Second Test of the day.

Monitors Status
    Misfire Ready
    Fuel Sys Ready
    Comp Cmpnt Ready
    Catalyst Not Ready
    Heated Cat N/A
    Evap Ready
    2nd Sys N/A
    Air Cond N/A
    o2 Sens Not Ready
    o2 Sens Htr Ready
    EGR Sys Ready
    DLC Pass

FAILED again The guy said once again, "you need to drive it more, come back tomorrow and that i could only have one "NOT READY" in order to pass. Since it was "National ____Over Day" i waited for the next day, well long story short it got the exact same results as test #2, Catalyst and o2 Sens not ready...

Let me know what you guys/gals think might be the issue, i have 10 days left before i have to pay for the inspection again.

P.S. I have no Check Engine light on and the mods i have done are on my signature plus a CMR Tune.

De Molded-KMC Jacks and Fives-Tinted Tails-Black Housing Headlights-Two Tone Bumper-Toyo Proxes 4-Drilled/Slotted Rotors-CSRT8 Diffuser-AFE CAI-Diablo-Removed Resonators
    Econo Heads-Sidewinder Cam-JBA Headers

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the rear 02 sensors turned off? If so turn them on.Also you can check the car for ready yourself.Turn the key to the on position,if after 10-15 seconds it starts blinking the car is not in ready status.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you are right, am wondering if the Tuner turned off my rear o2 sensors. will check that and the Key Positioning during lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    thank god they did away with that crap here in cincinnati.
    From hells heart...I stab at thee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiR/T View Post
    I hadn't moved the car in 3 days, So i woke up around 8:30am turned the car on for a few minutes cleared the thermostat code and drove to the garage for the inspection.

Note: This was the first test of the day.

Monitors Status
    Misfire Ready
    Fuel Sys Ready
    Comp Cmpnt Ready
    Catalyst Not Ready
    Heated Cat N/A
    Evap Not Ready
    2nd Sys N/A
    Air Cond N/A
    o2 Sens Not Ready
    o2 Sens Htr Ready
    EGR Sys Not Ready
    DLC Pass

After the test was done the guy said it failed due to not driving it much in the past few days and that I had to drive it on the HWY for constant HWY speeds, and that i could bring it back and it ought to pass.

So i drove it to the bank to my work all in all it was about 28 miles, so i brought it back in around 5:15pm, and

Note: Second Test of the day.

Monitors Status

Misfire Ready
    Fuel Sys Ready
    Comp Cmpnt Ready
    Catalyst Not Ready
    Heated Cat N/A
    Evap Ready
    2nd Sys N/A
    Air Cond N/A
    o2 Sens Not Ready
    o2 Sens Htr Ready
    EGR Sys Ready
    DLC Pass

FAILED again The guy said once again, "you need to drive it more, come back tomorrow and that i could only have one "NOT READY" in order to pass. Since it was "National ____Over Day" i waited for the next day, well long story short it got the exact same results as test #2, Catalyst and o2 Sens not ready...

Let me know what you guys/gals think might be the issue, i have 10 days left before i have to pay for the inspection again.

P.S. I have no Check Engine light on and the mods i have done are on my signature plus a CMR Tune.

I think you answered your own question in the large, bold RED highlight above..

Once you clear any codes, (or disconnect the battery) the OBD-II has to re-set. That takes several "driving cycles" to become "ready".

The fact that some of your "not ready" failures have re-set & the cats are still "not ready" suggests that perhaps your cats are not turned off, but just need some more "driving cycles".

If you check & find that the rear O2 sensors are NOT turned off, do not do anything. Just drive around, varying your speed, do some stop & go driving as well as hi-way driving & do several shut down re-starts. When it is ready, the key trick mentioned will let you know.

If your rear O2 sensors are turned off, turn them back on & start the "driving cycles" thing all over again. When the key trick shows "ready" get to the inspection station ASAP.

426 RWHP/460 RWTQ on motor, 555 RWHP on a 150 shot of juice
    12.062 @ 113.97 on motor, 11.306 @ 121.87 on a 125 HP shot
    Stock 5.7 rotating assembly, still MDS enabled

Post Thanks / Like

getting ready status

to get to a ready status drive around in auto. if you drive around in stick mode it will not get to the ready status in any reasonable amount of time if at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike345 View Post
    to get to a ready status drive around in auto. if you drive around in stick mode it will not get to the ready status in any reasonable amount of time if at all.
    And the coolant temperture must reach 185*F for a certain amount of time to reach "ready" status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWagon896 View Post
    I think you answered your own question in the large, bold RED highlight above..

Once you clear any codes, (or disconnect the battery) the OBD-II has to re-set. That takes several "driving cycles" to become "ready".

The fact that some of your "not ready" failures have re-set & the cats are still "not ready" suggests that perhaps your cats are not turned off, but just need some more "driving cycles".

If you check & find that the rear O2 sensors are NOT turned off, do not do anything. Just drive around, varying your speed, do some stop & go driving as well as hi-way driving & do several shut down re-starts. When it is ready, the key trick mentioned will let you know.

If your rear O2 sensors are turned off, turn them back on & start the "driving cycles" thing all over again. When the key trick shows "ready" get to the inspection station ASAP.

We have a winner. Same thing happens when you disconnec the battery for storage and take it right in for an inspection.

Also, Some checks need the fuel tank to be between a certain level for the checks run, pass and to set 'good'. I found this out this past fall with my wifes Pacifica.

Jay
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang! I should of known, but thats why you guys are the $hit! Much appreciated PowerWagon896,

as for the key trick what light am i going to be looking for that is going to be blinking or not.
    never mind i just saw the light blink at me, and on the way home my check engine light came on....t-stat issue again so i had to reset it, meaning i need to just keep driving just keep driving.
    Last edited by HemiR/T; 01-04-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    i heard it can take anywhere from 50 to 150 miles for you car to get in the ready status. The same thing happen to me, when i took my car to inspection. It took me a few trips to the store and back (about 8 miles there n back) and 1 trip to pick my daughter up(35 miles one way). So it took me a little over a 100 miles to get the system ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiR/T View Post
    Dang! I should of known, but thats why you guys are the $hit! Much appreciated PowerWagon896,

as for the key trick what light am i going to be looking for that is going to be blinking or not.
    never mind i just saw the light blink at me, and on the way home my check engine light came on....t-stat issue again so i had to reset it, meaning i need to just keep driving just keep driving.
    why is the engine check light coming on for?
    are the fans temp altered? if you keep resetting it then you would have to start the process all over again!

Post Thanks / Like
    It does typically take a 100 - 200 miles for the computer to "relearn" and get back to the Ready state. So each time you reset and the codes come back, would mean there's an issue, unless, indeed, the tuner is involved. You do have 10 days, so you have some time to play with. Can you remove the tuner and reconfig the car back to stock, then drive then go get it inspected?
    3.5 - Gone but never forgotten. Everything would be cheaper if we didn't complain about everything so much...

Post Thanks / Like
    The computer doesn't have to learn anything. The codes are not cleared until the car runs a certain number of cycles w/o error. Usually 3. This means start, drive to operating temp, stop 3 times. Mileage means nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^X2. I start seeing P0430/P0420 well before 100 to 200 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    dont know if the tuner altered the t-stat degrees, i will need to find out about how much i ought to raise and drop or just drop all 3, but how many degrees?

the reason why the check engine light is coming is the p0128, meaning the car is not running warm enough by the its due time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread