Post Thanks / Like

How to get PIN # (not from dealer)?

Is there any way in which I can obtain (free) the PIN codes (used for programming keys in case you don't have two working keys) without asking it from the dealer. In Puerto Rico they tend to charge for this service, which I believe is a steal since this info pertains to the car which was bought with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have a starscan? without one the pin number does you no good. but the dealer is the only place i think you can get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No starscan.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can rent a starmobile
    400ci stroker, Vortech blower, and enough said

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont need it to program keys IF you have both factory keys.

Jaak is offline Looking for that phuk I used to give.

Post Thanks / Like
    And you would need the PIN to program the key for a car you don't have two keys for, because of why?
    12.217 @ 117 mph on a stock motor

My Station Wagon was faster...

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a suggestion made by the locksmith guy just in case I am left with just one key. According to him if I have the PIN# it will save me $50 that he would have to charge me for extracting the PIN Code. At this moment I own two already programmed sentry keys and one unprogrammed with the transponder embedded (bought from ebay). This evening I'll try programming the unprogrammed one by following the guidelines on the Owner's Manual. Its just that I'm the kind of guy that likes to anticipate to all possible future scenarios. I never said I did not have two working keys. I clearly pointed "in case". That's why Jaak....
    Last edited by albertojedi; 10-27-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Jaak is offline Looking for that phuk I used to give.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I wasn't sure if you were speaking generically, or specifically about your vehicle.

I have yet to meet a Locksmith that owns the dealer tool to allow a key to be programmed, which is a prerequisite for programming another key with the PIN. It's a heck of a lot more expensive to get the tool than to pay for the dealer to program a replacement key for you. The access to the PIN is restricted for good reason.

That said, I have both the tool and PIN for my cars. But I bought the tool first. Just asking how to get the PIN from Chrysler, and not from a dealer, looks, uh weird? Getting it from a dealer is the only way you can get it that I am aware of, and you have to be on pretty good terms with them. I completely understand this and I would be pissed if Chrysler allowed the PIN for my car to be accessable without going through them and proving good reason for it to be released. This is part of the security of our vehicles and not something that should be easy to get.

You need to make friends with your dealer if you really want it that bad. Or your locksmith, needs to, if that's his business.

Or not worry about it, unless you have a habit of losing keys. And if you do, make it cheaper, buy a spare and program it now while you have the other two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaak View Post
    Cool, I wasn't sure if you were speaking generically, or specifically about your vehicle.

I have yet to meet a Locksmith that owns the dealer tool to allow a key to be programmed, which is a prerequisite for programming another key with the PIN. It's a heck of a lot more expensive to get the tool than to pay for the dealer to program a replacement key for you. The access to the PIN is restricted for good reason.

That said, I have both the tool and PIN for my cars. But I bought the tool first. Just asking how to get the PIN from Chrysler, and not from a dealer, looks, uh weird? Getting it from a dealer is the only way you can get it that I am aware of, and you have to be on pretty good terms with them. I completely understand this and I would be pissed if Chrysler allowed the PIN for my car to be accessable without going through them and proving good reason for it to be released. This is part of the security of our vehicles and not something that should be easy to get.

You need to make friends with your dealer if you really want it that bad. Or your locksmith, needs to, if that's his business.

Or not worry about it, unless you have a habit of losing keys. And if you do, make it cheaper, buy a spare and program it now while you have the other two.
    According to your owners manual, the dealer is supposed to give you the PIN # when you purchase your vehicle. This is in all LX manuals since 2005: "At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided with a four digit PIN number. This number is required for dealer replacement of keys." But we all know they don't provide you with this unless you ask.

Locksmiths can get the PIN # via TechAuthority for $20 (if they're a member of the Associated Locksmiths of America.
    " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"

Post Thanks / Like
    I programmed the third key (with the car) which I will have on my wallet just in case (it was a breeze). No, I'm not the kind of guy who losses the keys. I'm more a Monk type of guy, lol!! That is precisely why I wanted to anticipate anything. But it is ok for me to have three working keys. I won't bother the dealer. Thanks guys. BTW, the locksmith told me that he could get the PIN# via internet (I assume via Techautority) but that is exactly why he suggested to get it from the dealer, in order to avoid paying the fees charged by Techautority which he would eventually pass on me in case I asked him to program any key.

Share This Thread