Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questionable Kill

So I'm crusing home around midnight on Saturday and come up on a Dakota R/T. Doing about 60 with no one in sight, so I see if he wants to play. Drop it down to third and goose it a couple times. Yep...... He's game. I let him hit it first then nail it. Cruise by him with no probelms. Get about 4-5 car lengths in front of him and slow back down to see if he wants more. Bites again, same thing he hits it first but with the same results, I move right on by him with no problem. We did this about 2 more times then came up on a small town and backed off it.
    Now I am realistic, his truck is lighter than the mag and the Dakota R/T has a 5.9 in it. So was this guy not trying? Or are those Dakotas geared like that, not high end pick up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know much about the 5.9..
    However trucks are geared alot lower.
    You may have had a harder time from the stop light....
    2005 Midnight Blue Magnum RT
    2005 Silver Magnum SXT

Post Thanks / Like
    im not a dakota expert, but i thought they also made the r/t in the 5.2? the 5.9 is a great motor, but dont forget you are pushing 100 hp over him in stock form. cars.com say wieght is 3700. im guessing the 5.9 would push it into the 3800 mark. wouldnt suprise me that you pulled ahead with 40ft/lbs more torque and 100 more hp.

nice kill though.

stock grear was 3.21 with a 3.55 and 3.9 optional.
    '06 SRT8 Magnum 13.02@110.28 (1.93) as stock as can be.- SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock Dakota 5.9 has 250 horses I believe. When I had my 4.3L S10 I ran up on one from a dead stop and crushed him, leaving him at about 3-5 car lengths up to 70. I think the 5.9 has potential, but in stock form they don't have much to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would beg to differ with yall. I really am into the horse power and everything but I have a dakota sport that I ordered with the 5.9 and had the truck break traction while I was cruising down the highway and punched it to change lanes, while racing some ricer of course. I don't know if the quad cab makes a difference and I also ordered the optional rear end. One thing I am sure of is the truck has balls beating a mag or charger I really don't know. But did race a full size ram one day after dropping the wife off at the austin airport and the guy was suprised until I told him what I had under the hood. Hmmm, I guess I will have to test this when I pick up the car.
    Magnesium Magnum RT AWD
    mods completed
    Hood struts, Glove box light, DRL, debadged, Side moldings removed, Blinker mod, E&G Grill, SXT headlights, Borla exhaust, AVIC-Z120BT & reverse cam, Spoiler paint match, Mopar Performance Strut Tower Brace, Airaid CAI, Billet Tech Eng dressing, 180 T-Stat, Police Oil Cooler, BCR Coilovers, Dabears2k Reverse HIDs, SPC 1.50 bushings, Fuse box cover paint match, Radiator cowl paint match, Radiator reservoir paint match

Post Thanks / Like
    saw them build a R/t on trucks once. The baseline dyno was 200hp they added all kinds of bolt ons and still only squeaked out 250hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by American Muscle
    Now I am realistic, his truck is lighter than the mag and the Dakota R/T has a 5.9 in it. So was this guy not trying? Or are those Dakotas geared like that, not high end pick up?
    The Dakota R/T came in a reg cab and cc only. 250 hp 345 torq 3.90:1 rear. 5.9L auto only. Strong off the line IF they can get traction. Not good from a 60/70 punch. Speed limiter @ 115mph. If they added Mopar Perf chip, added 26hp and removed speed limiter. Not much lighter than the Magnum. Mine just had Mopar headers and 3" single catback w 40 series Flowmaster and 14x3" K&N. Would cherp the tires on the 1-2 shift.
    2005 Hemi Magnum & 1937 Plymouth Business Coupe

2000 Dakota R/T (Wifes)

Caution: Detroit my be hazardous to your health.
    LAW ENFORCEMENT: SWORN TO PROTECT YOUR ASS - NOT KISS IT
    http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ges/?start=all

Post Thanks / Like
    My bone stock 99 RT x-cab ran 15.7 at Rt66.
    06 Charger R/T Inferno Red
    8.8227 @ 80.29 1/8 stock
    11.3232 @ 91.52 1000' stock

You don't have to be smart to race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goodeforu
    I would beg to differ with yall. I really am into the horse power and everything but I have a dakota sport that I ordered with the 5.9 and had the truck break traction while I was cruising down the highway and punched it to change lanes, while racing some ricer of course. I don't know if the quad cab makes a difference and I also ordered the optional rear end. One thing I am sure of is the truck has balls beating a mag or charger I really don't know. But did race a full size ram one day after dropping the wife off at the austin airport and the guy was suprised until I told him what I had under the hood. Hmmm, I guess I will have to test this when I pick up the car.
    The Dakota 5.9 will get eaten alive by an R/T Mag or Charger.

It won't even be close.

No Dakota turned low 14s in the 1/4 mile stock
    2006 Charger SRT8
    SRT Option Packages I & II
    Power Sunroof
    Eagle F1 Supercar "summer" tires
    Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to sound like I can take the questionable part out of my post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magman3
    Stock Dakota 5.9 has 250 horses I believe. When I had my 4.3L S10 I ran up on one from a dead stop and crushed him, leaving him at about 3-5 car lengths up to 70. I think the 5.9 has potential, but in stock form they don't have much to offer.
    I don't doubt what you are saying, but seems something is wrong with that picture. I have seen articles of 5.9 R/T trucks getting into the 14.9's with a stock motor. More typical tests were very low 15's. The SS 4.3 V6's were not quite as quick, but anything can happen on the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    You've got to stop picking on our poorer cousins. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lieu910
    I don't doubt what you are saying, but seems something is wrong with that picture. I have seen articles of 5.9 R/T trucks getting into the 14.9's with a stock motor. More typical tests were very low 15's. The SS 4.3 V6's were not quite as quick, but anything can happen on the street.
    And I have not seen one Charger tested even break 14.3 in the 1/4 mile so the only way a stock Dakota beats a Charger/Mag R/T is if someone leaves the parking brake on.

Post Thanks / Like
    someone went 13.9 with their charger. i forgot who, read it on this board.

and quarter mile times mean nothing on the street. a car that goes 15.2 @ 100 will kill a car that runs 14.5 @ 92 from a roll.

the magnum has 100 more hp, that will equate to kickin his ass from a roll weight is a factor, but not AS big as if the car were stopped.
    Last edited by DriveATransam; 10-19-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveATransam
    someone went 13.9 with their charger. i forgot who, read it on this board.

and quarter mile times mean nothing on the street. a car that goes 15.2 @ 100 will kill a car that runs 14.5 @ 92 from a roll.

the magnum has 100 more hp, that will equate to kickin his ass from a roll weight is a factor, but not AS big as if the car were stopped.
    I think what you meant to say was:

1/4 mile times are not the only determinant of who wins a street race.

To say that mean nothing is plain silly. A Prius driver can have all the skill in the world but he ain't beating my Charger even if I start in 2nd gear!

As for the 15.2@100 example, it doesn't fit here as the 5.7 has a higher trap speed as well as lower ET.

Folks can dream all they want to but unless you really suck as a driver, there is only so much someone else can do driving a slower truck compared to a R/T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread