Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rear wiper replacement.....or "oh god that was easy"

I`ve read several posts asking about where to get a replacement wiper for the rear. Simple! Go to a store that sells normal length wipers. Pick out the smallest one you can find, I think that would be 12 inches(no perv comments). Buy one. Take it home and carefully pull the wiper insert out of the wiper blade frame. Set it aside. Now go to your magnum and remove the rubber wiper insert off your back window starting with the passenger side of the insert, sliding it towards the drivers side until it starts to curl and eventually sliding out of the fingers that hold the rubber insert in place. Once it slips out slide the insert all the way to the passenger side until the insert is completely detached from the plastic wiper blade. Take stock insert to new blade. Remove the stainless steel strips on either side of the blade insert. Hold old blade next to new blade and simply cut to length.you decide how you want to cut.....dremel/wire cutters, something that`ll cut thru the metal inner "backbone" of the new wiper blade. Once cut slip the two stock stainless steel strips into the newly cut to length wiper blade. Install is reverse of removal. There you have it a new rear wiper without being dicked with dealer prices. If you buy a 20" or larger wiper you easily have two new refills. Last step go to Staples and buy an "easy button". That was easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info................ my rear wiper blade is 5 years old.

Bob
    Bob in Ocala, Florida, 05' Magnum RT, 74 years young - married 53 years. Superchips tuner & Flowmaster 40's. 402 Motoring rear spoiler, mud flaps, tinted & painted tail lights. Danko shaker hood, 69' Charger grille, front spoiler, rear diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info... I did the same thing. Bought the cheap 21" blade and cut it with a pair of side cutters. Now I have a spare too.

Mine measured 10 1/4" long exactly, that's why I got the 21"

Beans to you.
    FRI Econo Heads & FRI Sidewinder: Installed @ BFNY by Hemi31 with special guest Fnkychkn, JBA Shorties, JBA/HHP hi-flow catted mids, stock SRT8 cat-back, C&L CAI.
    HUGE thanks to Hemiwagn and HalfFast Performance for making it all possible.
    12.645@108.18

Post Thanks / Like
    Uhm, not to sound snarky, but here. Scroll down to the 8th option. They sell stock replacements of the rear blades for $8.44.
    Warning: The above post probably contains 2 or 3 times as many words as necessary.

2005 SXT AWD. Purchased in March of 2009. Totaled on January 16th, 2013. 75k excellent miles together.
    1982 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel. Haphazardly acquired January 2010.
    1981 Honda Twinstar. Salvaged from my backyard in 2009.
    2006 Volvo S60R. Acquired Feb 1st, 2013. Totaled on September 18th, 2013. Too soon, beautiful girl, too soon.
    1966 Ford F100. Acquired March 30th, 2013.
    2003 Volvo S60 AWD. Life's fuel sipping commuter.
    2001 Land Rover Discovery. Costs more to maintain than my last girlfriend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't trust what a website says will fit. Just bought a rear wiper replacement from RockAuto and it wasn't even close. I'm just gonna pull out the 'blade' and stick it in the old arm like MidnightSXT did. By the way TireRack has the best front wipers for our cars. The Valeo's are buy one, get one free. Bought a set for the Mag and the wife's Jeep last year, and not a problem with them!
    Last edited by steelbluesrt8; 09-13-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im just deleting mine... we dont really have a need for that wiper in CA... we only have 2 seasons... Hot and Not so Hot...

BUT Beans to you for the write up...
    2006 INFERNO RED MSRT8 - SOLD-
    2005 FORD P71 Crown Vic
    DREAMING OF A NEW MOPAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the beans everyone.....I hope they dont make me fart. I have to edit something tho, there is no metal "backbone" in the wiper blade insert itself,just two stainless steel pieces that you can pull off and then cut the blade down to size with a simple knife or scissors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedWagon View Post
    By the way TireRack has the best front wipers for our cars. The Valeo's are buy one, get one free. Bought a set for the Mag and the wife's Jeep last year, and not a problem with them!
    Hands down the best blades for our cars. I use them on my wifes Pacifica as well. I buy 2 every 6 months, and put it in the drivers of both cars, and move the drivers to the passengers. Works out well that both cars take the same exact wipers on both arms.

Jay
    2013 Honda Accord EX - 2.4L/6-Speed Manual

2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD-Everything but the kitchen sink.
    2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic - Redline 3-Coat Pearl, 6-speed - Gone
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT-Can you say...HEMI? - Gone
    1989 WS6/L98 Trans Am-Got Torque? - Gone

Post Thanks / Like
    nice write up for sure...mine's 5 years old also and I was looking to replace b-4 winter. I use Rain X blades for the front along with the rain X glass treatment...Hardly even have to turn the wipers on in the rain...water just rolls right off.
    Beans!
    2005 Magnum RT AWD 344AWHP/358AWTRQ
    FRI Sidewinder Cam, Johan Tune, Edelbrock Headers, JBA Hi-Flo Cats, Magnaflow Catback, 180* T-stat, aFe Stg II CAI, 85mm Throttle Body, SLP 25% UDP, Catch Can, Taylor Shortys, Freak351 Trans Box , Eibach Pro Kit Springs & R1's. Interior, Engine & "M" Emblems by Billet Tech, R/T Emblems, Magnum R/T Grille, Black Heads & Tails, Eyelids

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the write up
    I like to pass!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be possible to get photos of the blade being replaced???

I just don't see how it is posible to get the old wiper blade out.................

Can the wiper blade be taken off of the wiper arm??? Would that make it easier to work on??

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind, I figured it out.................

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbluesrt8 View Post
    Wouldn't trust what a website says will fit. Just bought a rear wiper replacement from RockAuto and it wasn't even close. I'm just gonna pull out the 'blade' and stick it in the old arm like MidnightSXT did. By the way TireRack has the best front wipers for our cars. The Valeo's are buy one, get one free. Bought a set for the Mag and the wife's Jeep last year, and not a problem with them!
    I'm running the Bosch Icon blades on our Charger now. Local Advance Auto was doing a buy one get one half off sale couple weeks ago. They seem to be working great. On my truck I have blue SilBlades. Those are awsome wipers with a 5 year warranty that they honor. I haven't bought a new set of blades for my truck since i started using them. I just get them replaced for free every couple years, usually because the coating on the frames starts to come off, not because the blades performance degrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has the mod bug bitten?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just replaced my rear wiper blade at lunch. It was so easy, it was almost comical. I re-used the factory metal "ribs", since the new ones were too wide, and I really didn't feel like cutting them to length either. AWESOME!
    Sgt Williams USMC/0311/8152/8154 OIF'05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread