LX Forums Forum banner

5.7L HEMI clicking noise @ idle

40K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  ChargerPursuit 
#1 ·
I know there's another thread or two about this, but here goes anyway.

I noticed (today) a steady clicking or ticking noise from OUTSIDE the car @ idle.
I really haven't heard it from inside the car (has never really jumped out at me in 7 months and 14K miles, but then I'm usually in the car, not outside).

So, is this the FAMOUS HEMI ticking noise?

From the old thread(s) there's a lot of theory about what it is, but has anyone pinned it down yet?

My vote (from the theories) is a solenoid -- any experts got this figured out?

#3 ·
NC-SXT said:
Injectors - normal. I have heard then on other cars,suvs(gm)

Not to worry. Just turn up the tunes.
I really don't think so NC-SXT, as I can also hear the noise that I would attribute to the injectors right along side this noise. Not only that, the eight injectors clicking in continuous sequence make somewhat of a "clatter." The noise that I hear is quite a bit louder (audible even with the hood closed), and is a consistent single tick per engine revolution. At first I had suspected something in the valve train, but oddly enough this noise does not even sound metallic to me... :roll:

#5 ·
schmeky said:
It's the fuel injectors. Hydraulic valve trains don't "tick".
Well, 10 bucks and my left nut says it aint! :lol:

Seriously, go under the hood of the car and listen specifically for the injectors. They're there - you can pick 'em out plain as day... and then there's this other noise.

#6 ·
bipto said:
Well, 10 bucks and my left nut says it aint! :lol:

Seriously, go under the hood of the car and listen specifically for the injectors. They're there - you can pick 'em out plain as day... and then there's this other noise.
Don't worry buddy, you ain't on crack (everyone else is) :twisted:. My HEMI with 13K on it makes some noise, that you can hear loud as hell at a drive thru, echoing back at you. It ain't the injectors. This noise changes with the RPM's, injectors do as well, I know that. I don't like it at all, it is embarrassing to me...

#7 ·
Ticking noise - not in the Charger

Well, for the short time I was driving my Mag around I did hear the ticking noise. I also have a Subaru that has had the same noise for 4 years.
While driving the '06 Hemi Charger loaner I have not noticed any noise at all from the engine, it's as smooth and quiet as a cat.
So it's not something inherent in the 5.7L. It's something else (I was thinking lifter/valve slap, but maybe I'm wrong).

- Jaylinb
'05 Silver Bullet

#8 ·
ticking noise

my cousin took a look at it and he said he has the same sound coming out of his car and he said he is %99 percent sure it the valves he said have it adjusted. so i called my dealership and told them what my cousin told me. i have an appointment this thursday. well see what happens!!!!!

#9 · (Edited)
It's valve train noise everyone...

JMONEY said:
..%99 percent sure it the valves...have an appointment this thursday. well see what happens!!!!!
In all liklihood you're hearing normal Hemi valve train noise, JMONEY, BragonMyMag, and others. As the lifters are hydraulic there's no adjustment, per se, that I'm aware of.

What the dealer will probably (should) do is a careful listen to make sure that it's not tappet (lifter) noise. If he suspects one or more bad tappets he'll pull & inspect, etc.

Page 9-1613 in the SM covers it in more detail.

A bad tappet is always a possibility, especially on an engine that's getting some miles on it. So if it's noticeably louder, don't simply assume it's the standard valve train & injector noise you're hearing...have it checked.

Handsome motor, BTW, JMONEY. :thumbs_u:

#11 ·
Im guessing your hearing normal hemi noise !!

Ive had over 30 of these hemi's anywhere from brand new up to 250,000 miles they all make noise,some days there louder than others... It dont matter if were talking 5.7 6.1 6.4 ive had them all,i have a 6.4 with 421 miles and it will echo at the drivethru! Dont be ashamed when you step it down everybody knows that tick is supposed to be there!!!!!!!
in all liklihood you're hearing normal hemi valve train noise, jmoney, bragonmymag, and others. As the lifters are hydraulic there's no adjustment, per se, that i'm aware of.

What the dealer will probably (should) do is a careful listen to make sure that it's not tappet (lifter) noise. If he suspects one or more bad tappets he'll pull & inspect, etc.

Page 9-1613 in the sm covers it in more detail.

A bad tappet is always a possibility, especially on an engine that's getting some miles on it. So if it's noticeably louder, don't simply assume it's the standard valve train & injector noise you're hearing...have it checked.

Handsome motor, btw, jmoney. :thumbs_u:

#10 ·
It could also be related to the PCV system, there's a spring loaded check valve in the PCV valve that can open and shut based on how much vacuum there is on it. If you find it is this, i would not recomend a breather setup, unless you don't like your engine and plan to rebuild it soon or replace it.

#14 ·
So here's my question... I have a ticking and its a brand new rebuilt motor and we put a Cam, push rods and springs in it. Before the motor replacement the engine didnt tick at all. not it drives me nuts because i dont like noises I cant pinpoint. Im aiming at Injectors or Ive also been told rocker arms possibly? As far as Im concerned a new motor shouldnt tick?

#15 ·
I seriously doubt rocker arms would make a tick sound. Jeffu86, are you talking about an injected 5.7? Headers? Sometimes even headers will have a tinny kind of sound that almost sounds like a ticking. Even a newly rebuilt engine may have some normal ticking sound from injectors, headers, coil packs firing, and other things. My 2014 Charger Police car has a slight ticking at idle, but runs like a scalded dog. You should hear our Ford Taurus, uh, excuse me Ford, Interceptor Police cars. The tick like crazy! I call them our sewing machines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.