Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Melling Oil Pump Pressure

Straight from the box:

"Important Pressure Relief Valve Spring Requirements

Use the optional purple (65psi) pressure relief spring for 6.1L Hemi Engines.

The installed Yellow (50psi) relief spring is the stock springs for use with 5.7L Hemi engines".

I read that as the Melling Oil Pump does supply an increase in pressure if you use the optional purple springs for 65psi where the stock spring is only 50psi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only used the purple spring so I'm sorry to say not sure what happens with the others. Ultimate goal for me is a dry sump or a different pump, different oil weight all together.
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom, you can keep the change.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Melling is realizing that a modded 5.7 revs to 6400 just like a 6.1. I would use the purple spring.
    BFNY Performance
    9515 Detroit Rd,Cleveland Ohio 44102
    440-787-7235 8am- 5pm

BFNYPERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM
    RIP NHDave
    RIP LOU1355

Post Thanks / Like
    Or the added pressure is for the oil squirters...
    2006 MSRT8 in Brilliant Black, Options I,II,III, Sunroof and Sideairbags, Free Auto On Headlight Mod, Headlights on wth wipers, Highbeams on with Fog Lights, Hacked Nav, MOPAR Remote Start, BLACKEND I-Pass, Tailgate Plugs, 20% Tint Side Front Windows, Smoke LED Tailights, Airhammer CAI, Kooks LoKo Coated headers, Hi-Flow Cats, JBA 3" Cat Back, eibach sways. Fri Ported Intake, Fri Street Heads, Fri Littleboy Cam, P.I. 2800 Stall Converter, Custom Autometer 5 gauge over the visor pod, B.T. 65 Standard Hurst Shift conversion, TommyZ Hood S.N. 2. 180 degree T-Stat, BT Ported TB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GasGunR View Post
    Or the added pressure is for the oil squirters...
    Just went through this on a stock 5.7 pump......53psi max pressure at 6500 rpm.....that don't fly with me.Now there is a 6.1 pump making 68 psi at 6500 rpm......much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    The SRT engine squirts oil to the bottom of the pistons for cooling and maybe that is why it needs more pressure. The higher the pressure, the more hp it takes to run the pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    The SRT engine squirts oil to the bottom of the pistons for cooling and maybe that is why it needs more pressure. The higher the pressure, the more hp it takes to run the pump.
    Yes I know......I also know that 10psi per 1k rpm is a happy place on a high revving motor.......but do you think it could be the fact that a stock 5.7 shifts at 5800rpm and a 6.1 shifts at 6200?

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when anything over 60 would foam your oil We're in a better place these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Pressure is the opposite of flow (or due to the lack of flow) Flow is whats important. Pressure also creates heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maistro69 View Post
    Pressure is the opposite of flow (or due to the lack of flow) Flow is whats important. Pressure also creates heat.
    ^^^^What he said ^^^^
    Edwin P. Gregory III
    SOUTHERN HOTROD, LLC
    2230 Richland St.
    Kenner, LA 70062
    SOUTHERNHOTROD.com
    KINGHEMI.com
    888-BIG-HEMI

Home of the STRONGEST NAG1 Transmission on the PLANET!

Post Thanks / Like
    X2. I going with the Melling to get more volume of oil. Ideally, I want the most oil volume at the least amount of pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pressure also creates heat.
    so do parts not getting enough lubrication......yes I know flow is important too......but with the way our valvetrains feed I'd like both thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richierevs View Post
    X2. I going with the Melling to get more volume of oil. Ideally, I want the most oil volume at the least amount of pressure.
    And as long as thats not below the stock 65psi I agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    given the *exact same* engine (swapping pumps and keeping the same oil weight), a higher pressure reading on the oil galley means that you actually are getting more flow.

Increasing viscosity to get more pressure reduces flow.

From everything that i have seen.. the Melling is just a stock replacment, no? The e-mail i got back from them said they don't have any increased flow setups yet....
    2012 Ram 1500 Express - 4x4 - HEMI - Black

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Franklin P. Jones
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, pressure and flow are realated, and with a given pump, more pressure will mean less flow... so if you've got .015" clearance in all your bearing journals, you'll have plenty of flow and very little pressure. The engine though, won't stay together at 6000 rpms.

I'm with Erik, I want both Still I'm not convinced that anything over 60 - 65 psig matters much for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread