Post Thanks / Like

Hot start, Long crank

I have a 2005 Dodge magnum rt 12/04 build date, kn drop in filter, cat back exhaust.
    My problem is that if I try to start the car when hot it cranks for about 45-60 seconds then starts and runs fine. I have installed a new fuel pump thinking that was my problem with no success. I think that maybe there is a temperature sensor that might be going bad any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad fuel filter?
    Maybe the ECM is going bad and the heat makes it not work? Heat and circuit boards don't do very well together.

Oh, and don't crank the car for 45 seconds straight. You'll burn up the starter.
    SOLD: Early Build 2005 Cool Vanilla Magnum RT, DS Predator, Jet 180 T-stat, K&N Type 57 Cold-air, Eagle Eye Dual CCFL Halo Projectors w/ LED turn signals, 55W 6000K HID low-beams, Factory cat-back SRT-8 exhaust, Factory Charger SRT-8 Rims

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no fuel filters on these cars they have a strainer on the bottom of the fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the same issue from time to time. I find it minor issue, as long as it starts. So far so good.

"Heimes Oppugnamus Et Montes Superamus"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I myself don't care that much but the wife drives the car mostly now and she is afraid it might not start one time and with no check engine light the stealership wants $ 90 just to look at it even if those idiots at my dealership can't find a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    I remembering reading about this somewhere. I believe the crank or cam sensor was the culprit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    05 RT . Jett Black . SRT Fascias . UAS . AFEII . Zoomers . Forgiatos . Wilwoods ...

Post Thanks / Like
    mine does that also quite often ...quite anoying when near friends. after 15 seconds everyone turns around and give you the hummm looks !

once dint start ...i had to lock doors ,delock doors then start again .....go figure !
    protouring 84 cutlass: 450hp LT1+ 700R4 +9.5" t/c 3200rpm + ford 9" ,4 wheels disc brakes ,lowered 2" ,4 link , tubular A arms .....
    CJ7 jeep,4.0L 250HP, AX-15,dana 300 +tera lo, soa , 36 iroks, dana 44`s,4:10 ,auburn ected,s ..
    and finally a "cool vanilla" AWD RT magnum .
    Should have SRT heads, intake & exhaust soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gameover View Post
    I remembering reading about this somewhere. I believe the crank or cam sensor was the culprit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yezz sir, the crank postion sensor. Good call bud

They run under 30 bucks and it's located on the passenger side behind the starter. You'll need to remove the starter to install it ( well it's 10X easier if you do ). If your handy with tools, it'll take you 20 minutes to change.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had this on this car and others, its not so much that the sensor is bad just how its "timed" sometimes. THe cam and crank sensors work together, working of timed refrences usually. Just sometimes when the motor is shut off the slot that the sensor uses for a reference is sometimes just a lil off from where it likes to be. So the car sometimes had to crank longer to get "re-referenced" so the proper timing positions line up, the sensor become synced and the car starts. Just sumtin that happens now and then. Usually not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8crash View Post
    I've had this on this car and others, its not so much that the sensor is bad just how its "timed" sometimes. THe cam and crank sensors work together, working of timed refrences usually. Just sometimes when the motor is shut off the slot that the sensor uses for a reference is sometimes just a lil off from where it likes to be. So the car sometimes had to crank longer to get "re-referenced" so the proper timing positions line up, the sensor become synced and the car starts. Just sumtin that happens now and then. Usually not a big deal.

Very good point. It could be your cam chain tensioner is wore out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    heyyy could be the tstat or maybe even the radiator cap mineee went bad and i was having engine shaking problems and it was saying that my car was overheating but it was just the hot air evaporating my coolant try and pressure test it??!! andd it ran fine when it was cool out only had problems when it was hott out

Post Thanks / Like
    My motor did this when the cam position sensor failed... replaced it and good to go!
    2006 MSRT8 in Brilliant Black, Options I,II,III, Sunroof and Sideairbags, Free Auto On Headlight Mod, Headlights on wth wipers, Highbeams on with Fog Lights, Hacked Nav, MOPAR Remote Start, BLACKEND I-Pass, Tailgate Plugs, 20% Tint Side Front Windows, Smoke LED Tailights, Airhammer CAI, Kooks LoKo Coated headers, Hi-Flow Cats, JBA 3" Cat Back, eibach sways. Fri Ported Intake, Fri Street Heads, Fri Littleboy Cam, P.I. 2800 Stall Converter, Custom Autometer 5 gauge over the visor pod, B.T. 65 Standard Hurst Shift conversion, TommyZ Hood S.N. 2. 180 degree T-Stat, BT Ported TB.

Share This Thread