Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine swap!!!! 2.7l to 5.7l!!

Hey guys i need your help i want to install a 5.7l hemi in my magnum but i currently have a 2.7l engine! Does anybody know if i can just swap motors or is there more 2 it? Please let me know!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Alot of money and headaches .. it will be better to purchase a r/t instead.
    this is a common question one I have asked myself too going a 3.5L .. some of the experts will respond shortly and explain why just buying v8 would be wiser.
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. Gene Roddenberry

Post Thanks / Like
    You would also need the tranny & rear end from an RT. Along with that, the PCM + wiring harnesses. The amount of time to install & get it running would really drive the swap costs over the top. Might as well get a low-priced RT.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic23029_3.gif
    MY HEMI REGISTRY PAGE
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    ... Do it for fun and enjoy the improved performance, but don't think you made a transaction that makes any financial sense. Use the economy numbers to torpedo the tree hugger who wants to get snooty with you, but know in your heart you did it so you could go faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on doing the work yourself, and can either get a complete wrecked R/T, or find the parts cheap it is feasable. However if you are going to be paying someone to do the work for you find a black 300C and swap your parts over, as it wil work out to be cheaper to do than the labour and parts.

AC
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic12069_2.gif
    'When I was arrested I was dressed in black'
    Mods: Predator 93 CAI, Air Hammer, Eagle Mani, Stainless Works Long Tubes, SRT8 diff-catback-suspension, Mopar Sways, REM Strut tower bar and Bumpsteer, Dual weave Grill, Daytona Chin and 20s, CSRT8 Diffuser, 6000K & 3500K HIDs, shaved letters, Old skool R/Ts, Hood Struts, 300C Handles & lower moldings, Two toned tails, BT Oil Catch and other goodies, and OEM remote hatch.

13.5@105

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, I'm with hemi mag, buy a rolled rt or srt and pull the parts (suspension, engine/trans/rear end, engine/trans management, etc.). Sounds like it would be expensive this way, but you're getting all the parts vs. trying to piece it all together.
    -Bill

Challenger Mods: PWR 393, Mean Street heads, Procharger D1 pushing 11+psi, SHR Nag1, DSS 1400 axles and drive shaft, SHR trans but with Paramount Dominator and stage2 valve body to finally be error code/limp mode free. BBS CH-R's and custom splitter with 2011 front spoiler. AAC SMD halos, 3K fog lights, white stripes, cervini wing, hotchkis springs, custom 10" sub w/ kicker amp, sequential tail lights.
    2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuldip View Post
    Alot of money and headaches .. it will be better to purchase a r/t instead.
    this is a common question one I have asked myself too going a 3.5L .. some of the experts will respond shortly and explain why just buying v8 would be wiser.
    Doing a 3.5 to a 5.7 would not be that big of a headache - if equipped with the 5 spd tranny like many of our SXTs post 2005. I plan on doing this in the future.

2006 Dodge Magnum SXT : Diablosport Predator 93 OPT: Big Bully CAI: RWD: 3.5L w/ 96mm bore: 4 speed auto trans

"Dude, whadaya got in that thing?... "I got an amp, guitar, surfboard, ladder, 12 2x4s, and the rotting corpse of some pretentious Lotus-driving douche who asked me what I had in this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    trade it in alot easier and cheapier
    2005 magnum rt
    custom c.a.i.
    borla cat back
    hotchkis sway bars
    eibach pro springs
    20"helo wheels
    275/40/20 hankooks
    R1 CONCEPTS DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS
    FIBRE EYELIDS

170 THERMOSTAT
    FLASH PAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesmagrt View Post
    trade it in alot easier and cheapier
    Cheaper? I paid about $13,000 for my SXT in 2006, only 6 months off of the assembly line (demo car). How would trading my car in be cheaper for me?

Who needs another $20,000 plus in car payments....PLUS THE EXTRA $5,000 YOU WILL PAY IN INTEREST? If you trade your SXT in, the most I see them giving you would be $9,000 (they would sell you the R/T for $22,000).

The 3.5 to a 5.7 engine swap would only cost you a little more than the interest alone!
    Last edited by Cro-Mag; 07-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    a guy just swaped his 3.5 for a 6.1 on custom magnums.com, a few issues but they are worked out

Post Thanks / Like
    yes cheapier

list of parts needed for change off the top of my head

5.7 engine
    trans
    rear diff
    drive shaft
    computer
    front springs /sway bars
    rear springs/sway bar
    exhaust
    radiator
    ???
    and labor
    i see atleast $7500.00 in used parts above
    and i am sure there's stuff i can't think of

oh and what about smogging and registering this car ?

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get used rt mags all day for $13k in california . i looked into selling mine when gas went through the roof .

Post Thanks / Like
    why not look around for a 6.1 motor and trans and rear end might as well go to the 6.1 if ur going to drop all the coin
    PWR 393, Twin 6262mm Turbos, SHR trans, Fore Fuel system, Wilson Hemi Sheet Metal Manifold
    880 RWHP 775 RWT at 16 psi and 17* of timing
    Tuned by Robert@ Ditos motors
    Walk Softly And Carry Two Big A$$ Turbos!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8yourM5 View Post
    why not look around for a 6.1 motor and trans and rear end might as well go to the 6.1 if ur going to drop all the coin
    X2.........The 5.7L is great if you are going to leave it stock..........it's a cast bottom end and pistons are it's biggest weak point.

IMHO, if you are going to swap motors, go 6.1L..........

If you are looking for more power down the road, you would have to re-build the 5.7L motor to take the strain and not blow up........If you are thinking about Supercharging/Turbo/or Nitrous, the stock 5.7L will not take a lot of boost.....A lot of guys have found this out the hard way........

At least the 3.5L and 6.1L motors have forged bottom ends........
    2007 Silver Metallic Dodge Charger SRT8............The REAPER
    HEMI Registry #1575.......PB - 13.390 @ 106.67 Mph.

Proud Member of The WTFDTSG Club.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesmagrt View Post
    yes cheapier

list of parts needed for change off the top of my head

5.7 engine
    trans
    rear diff
    drive shaft
    computer
    front springs /sway bars
    rear springs/sway bar
    exhaust
    radiator
    ???
    and labor
    i see atleast $7500.00 in used parts above
    and i am sure there's stuff i can't think of

oh and what about smogging and registering this car ?
    Also needed:

Trans Controller
    Wiring harness
    brakes should be upgraded (rotors & Calipers)
    Diff Gearing

I entertained the idea of a 5.7L swap..........but the cost in Cdn funds didn't make it look that attractive.......

For $5398.00 U.S. I bought the Modern muscle 10 PSU Vortec Supercharger kit and did the install myself.

When properly tuned (This Thursday!!!) I will be at roughly 320 RWHP and should be in the low 14's in the quarter mile.......

A Stock 5.7L R/T has roughly 270 RWHP ( I am sitting at 260 RWHP right now with 20" wheels and without running my Water Meth Injection - that adds another 20 - 30 HP).............So i will be ahead in the RWHP, and have a motor with a forged bottom end........

I also like the fact that I went a different route then the normal performance route and decide to "Hot Rod" my 3.5L........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    Who needs another $20,000 plus in car payments....PLUS THE EXTRA $5,000 YOU WILL PAY IN INTEREST? If you trade your SXT in, the most I see them giving you would be $9,000 (they would sell you the R/T for $22,000).

The 3.5 to a 5.7 engine swap would only cost you a little more than the interest alone!
    These numbers seem severely off. I bought my AWD SXT around a month ago, and they had it listed at $11.9k, next to it was an R/T for $13.9k, and an SRT8 for $15.9k. These all had average miles for their years (they were all 2005-2006s). If you really want to save money: import one from Canada. I recall looking up there, and seeing them for surprisingly cheap. I wound up not wanting to deal with the hassle of importing, and bought an American one.

(mind you, the actual sticker price on all of these was $3-4k more, these were "sale" prices)
    Warning: The above post probably contains 2 or 3 times as many words as necessary.

2005 SXT AWD. Bought March 2009. Totaled January 16th, 2013. 75k excellent miles together.
    2006 Volvo S60R. Acquired Feb, 2013. Totaled September 18th, 2013. Too soon, beautiful girl, too soon.
    1966 Ford F100. Acquired March, 2013.
    2014 Jeep GC Overland. Life's new commuter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread