Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Transmission "clunk"

I'm posting this primarily on behalf of another Magnum owner I know (she works just a few desks down from me at work in my department), but also for my own curiosity.

She's got a RWD SXT, almost a look-alike to my own Inferno Red Magnum.

She loves the car but has one complaint, the clunk that occurs when the car down-shifts into first when braking to a stop, and more noticeably, a clunk that occurs the moment you apply the gas.

I have the same clunk, and while I have to say it's bothered me in the past, it's something I've come to live with. The clunk that I get when I lightly apply the gas is what bothers me most. It happens when a light turns green, and you take your foot off the brake, so the car is drifting. The moment you apply any gas (only really noticeable when you apply light throttle), you get a "thunk" noise that can be a bit worrisome. In my mind's eye, I can almost see the teeth on the gears in the transmission slamming into eachother, and it makes me wince to think about it.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've seen people say that this is typical, but my friend isn't reassured. I told her I'd post on here and double-check. Is this something that we have to live with or is this something that warrants further investigation?

Thanks in advance fellahs!
    Last edited by Electrofreak; 07-15-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    2005 Inferno Red Magnum R/T AWD
    Electronics Group, Convenience Group II, Protection Group, Roof Rack package (removed cross bars), Sunroof.
    Mods: Superchips, tinted windows, painted calipers, auto headlights, blinker mod, air silencer and lower radiator baffle delete.

Post Thanks / Like
    how many miles on it?

when was the last transmission service/flush and filter change?

since mine just blew up, and thus far the cause is being blamed on a clogged filter, and it was clunking and grinding the day before it went.... just throwing my thoughts out there..

recommended filter change and flush is 60K miles
    "A world full of 100% Prius owners is still a world 100% dependent on oil" ~ E. Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about 55k atm, so none so far for me.

Yeah I read the post about your explosion Mr. I, and that's what reminded me that I'd told my friend Jenn that I'd ask on here about the clunk.

It really is surprising... I haven't heard of a transmission failure like yours at all. Particularly such a violent one!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read about a few failures, esp on 300cforums in the Aussy section, technically mine is being called a TC failure, which caused the transmission failure..

Dealer insists it was a loose and clogged filter that caused it.. Also stated that a loose filter will cause a clunk from going from Park to Reverse or Drive..

I never had a clunk until the day before, I am pretty in tune with my car, when something is loose or amiss I usually know it and get on it right away....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
    I've read about a few failures, esp on 300cforums in the Aussy section, technically mine is being called a TC failure, which caused the transmission failure..

Dealer insists it was a loose and clogged filter that caused it.. Also stated that a loose filter will cause a clunk from going from Park to Reverse or Drive..

I never had a clunk until the day before, I am pretty in tune with my car, when something is loose or amiss I usually know it and get on it right away....
    Interesting. This is kinda a cross between clunk, thunk, and thump. I'm also wondering if it could be the differential, though I had my differential fluid changed about a year ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could it be slop in the driveline? Something driveshafty?

Mike

edit: You said she has an SXT? Does that have the NAG1?
    "Now, I may not be an expert either, but I do lay the keyboard down on occasion, wipe the donut crumbs off my face, put my pants on and go outside into the light... and work on the car." - MattRobertson
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/
    (AirHammer, FRI Sidewinder, JBA shortys/highflows, Zoomers, Diablo, Labonte, Pedders, RazorsEdge, HSP Mounts, Silver Box,BT PinkThingy, AMG Paddle Shifters) 3.07 SRT rear, 13.302@106.15

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had the same thing for almost 2 years. If you run from a stop and let off the gas to coast then on the gas again it clunks hard. They rebuilt my tranny 2 years ago and I have complained about the clunk forever to my service people. Hell one service advisor even blamed it on 2 foot driving which I have done for years with every car Ive owned. I beat the hell out of it now wishing it would break really good like MR. I's explosion. I just cant get the service people to fix it because "it shows no codes". Let me know if you find anything out.
    WWW.DodgeMagnumGrille.com
    Quality.....Service.....Satisfaction

Makers of the "Original Honeycomb" & "True SRT" grilles for your SE,SXT or RT. Custom made grilles for your SRT Magnum also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since I put in my getrag I've developed a clunking sound on decel when the car is down shifting. It sounds more like it's coming from the rear of the car than the transmission. I still don't know exactly what causes it. Where do you hear your sound coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticePete
    Even bad pub is good for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticePete
    In my years of business I have found that there are three truths: the customer's truth, the busness owner's truth and the truth that lies some where in the middle. No additional commentary is required nor would it would serve no purpose.
    My Pedders Experience

SRT MAX 112 LSA | Inertia Bg Valve heads | SLP Longtubes | Gutted Cats | SLP LM1 | AFE Stage II | 90mm TB | 25% Underdrive pulley | Mopar TCM | Pro Torque 2800 | Getrag LSD | Inertia CMR tuned | Pedder Track II | 402 rwhp 406 rwtq12.3 @ 112

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metgo View Post
    Ever since I put in my getrag I've developed a clunking sound on decel when the car is down shifting. It sounds more like it's coming from the rear of the car than the transmission. I still don't know exactly what causes it. Where do you hear your sound coming from?
    My Dad's S10 has a very definate gear-to-gear sounding 'clunk-clank' the first time you pick a gear after it has sat for a bit - and it sure sounds like it's differential-based.

It's done it since new - and Chevrolet dealers aren't any brighter than Chrysler dealers, it ain't broke so they aren't interested in fixing it.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I know for a fact with a diablo tuned tcm my car clunks if I have it in manual mode when stopping. Doesn't make a sound with the Mopar tcm.

Frank's SPARROW cam, Indy Maxx heads, LMI Fender Pull Intake, Edge High Stall Converter, Full SRT exhaust, 399 rwhp, 407 ft.*lbs.

5.7 N/A 11 second club Best times to date:
    1/8 mile E.T. 7.369 @ 95.90 mph.
    1/4 mile E.T. 11.60 @ 115.97 mph.
    1.60 60 ft. best

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEast View Post
    Could it be slop in the driveline? Something driveshafty?

Mike

edit: You said she has an SXT? Does that have the NAG1?
    To the first question, maybe. To the second question, not sure... but mine is an AWD R/T and hers is a RWD SXT and we both have the same issue.

Post Thanks / Like

There is something clunking wrong here!

I have a 2005 MAgnum R/T. And first noticed the clunk about 2 years ago when it had about 40k miles on it. Now have about 65K

Here is how I explained the clunk -
    The clunk sound is sometimes heard when changing from drive to reverse, or reverse to drive.
    I can also hear the same clunk sound when taking my foot off the gas after accelerating. For example, from a stop I go WOT to 40MPH, then take my foot off the gas and coast. After taking my foot off the gas I can hear the clunk when the transmission shifts. This only happens when I take my foot off the gas totally. If I keep my foot down about 1/4 way, I can still feel the transmission shift with no clunk. I don't hear the clunk when accelerating

Here is fnkychkn's response to my description on the clunk
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpo...7&postcount=13

In 2007 I took it down to the Dodge service center get fnkychkn's recommended fix done and it did not fix the clunk.

About 6 months ago I started to have a problem with it going into Limp Mode under WOT. Took it down to get serviced. They found a transmissin leak due to a loose sensor and serviced the transmission.The throttle body was cleaned, filter and fluid changed. Shifts felt tighter, no more limp mode the clunk did not go away.

When I took it down to the local shop to get my headers installed I asked them to try and isolate and fix the clunk. They found my exhaust was loose and tightened it up and said that may have caused the clunk. The clunk did not go away.

Sounds like this poor guy has the same problem as us. He actually got the dealer to replaced just about everything!! TQ, Transmission, Rear end and guess what? THE CLUNK DID NOT GO AWAY!!!

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=48308

So it's been about two years, and I have yet to find anyone identify a real fix for this damn clunk! Hopefully someone here will figure out what it is and share it with us.
    Marcus

Magnum #1 (The Tower)
    2005 R/T Mods-
    AIRHAMMER intake, Fri Street heads, Sidewinder cam, JBA Shorty Headers, ZOOMERS exhaust, 180 TSTAT, Catch Can, Mopar TCM, DiabloSport Predator, CMR tuned by Ditos Motors.

Magnum #2
    2006 SRT8 Mods-
    CF Airhammer Intake, Mopar Exhaust, Mopar Stage 2 Coilover Suspension Kit, Mopar Performance Anti Sway Bar Kit, DC Sports Carbon Steel Strut Bar, 180 TSTAT, DiabloSport Predator, Paramount Performance Stage II Valve Body, Tranzformer, 3400 Dominator Torque Converter, AMG Paddle shifters

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger4Life View Post
    I know for a fact with a diablo tuned tcm my car clunks if I have it in manual mode when stopping. Doesn't make a sound with the Mopar tcm.
    Guys, on your '06 and older, I would try the Mopar TCM...seemed to work for Charger4life.

I believe it is a pressure balance in the valve body.

Maybe I can build a "no clunk" valve body and try it in Charger4life's ride, using a stock TCM to make sure it clunks before I swap out the valve body.

Charger4life....I have access to a lift in your Greenville, SC area and could make arrangements to try out the no-clunk valve body.
    Let me know.

BTW, you guys want to feel the clunk of all clunks, install the Blue Top Mercedes solenoids....they will launch you through the windshield on a downshift.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBill View Post
    BTW, you guys want to feel the clunk of all clunks, install the Blue Top Mercedes solenoids....they will launch you through the windshield on a downshift.
    Bill
    Isn't that bad for it? Sounds fun.
    2005 MAGNUM RT

CF AIRHAMMER, Predator, 180 Tstat, Flowmaster 44's, no resonaters, Blue LED Interior Lighting, 06 Radio with Aux Input

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same sound, an my drive shaft bolts where lose at the trans end, Not good , I would give it a good look over...
    Frank Racing Inc

6.1 431 Stroker ( Fully Coated shortblock set up for Boost, 9.6 comp,), 5.7 Exstream heads w .030 Mill, 2300 Harrop RDP Blower, FRI Camshaft ATI Over Drive Pulley,Labonte Motorsports Meth Kit, Little Nitros Kit, Dynatech Headers/Cats with a SLP LM2 , Pro Torque 3400 Stall, SRT Rear end w/ 3.06 Gears and DSS Halfshafts

490 HP and 455 TQ Before Motor and Blower Baby

Best Run to Date...
    11.539 with a 1.599 60ft 4250 Race Weight at 117.58mph

Thanks to Steve AKA "Frank Racing", And Sohfast94! BAD A$$ Tuner

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread