Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Streetsville (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation *SCAM ALERT* - National Home Services

I wanted to alert my fellow Ontarians of a scam we became aware of yesterday.

One or more employees of National Home Services will attend at your house and tell you that Enbridge is changing the rental water heaters because the existing ones are out of date due to new "Energy Star" requirements that they do not meet. They will ask to see your bill and the water heater to ensure that they can remove the old one and install the new one. They will tell you there is no cost to you and that they will give you 2 months of free rent for the inconvenience.

I asked them 3 times if they were switching us to a new company and they lied each time. I said "But I've never heard of National Home Services". They said "We supply Enbridge with the water heaters for their rental program. You pay them, then they pay us. You're not switching companies. We're the equipment division. You're already our customer. It's just transparent when you pay your bill."

They're liars!

This is a big scam to get you to switch your water heater rental to this new company, which locks you in for 15 years.

Send these guys packing!!! Don't sign anything.

If you already did, you have 10 days to cancel with no penalty according to the Consumer Protection Act, 2002.

Here's the story in the Toronto Star, which I wished I had read before yesterday:

http://www.thestar.com/article/463378

I am not the type of person to buy anything from someone selling door to door. These guys flat out lied and said this was a "replacement program" from our existing water heater rental company due to new energy compliant regulations.

At first I didn't think anything of it, but then became more skeptical by the time they left. I knew about the 10 day law when anyone approaches you in your home, so I figured go ahead and sign it in case it's legit, but call Enbridge in the morning. If it is legit, all is good. If not, then cancel it. Took about 30 seconds online to find out it was a scam.

-=FLEX=-
    Last edited by FLEX; 05-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    sigpic by HAZMAN

2007 R/T R&T - Gone

2010 SRT8 - SOLO Performance Exhaust, AIRAID CAI, Diablosport Predator Tune, Billet Technologies wheel center caps, catch can, door sill plates, door lock pins, fuse box cover, hood badge, engine bay dress-up kit.

Do you even lift? www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Send them to my door, i have a heater unit that i need replace,but it does not heat water. But i will take them in the basement and let them look at it and sample a few hot peices from it.....
    06 SXT AWD Magnum, Silver Steele Metallic: Chrysler's Red headed stepchild!!!

I drive mine like I just left the bank after an unapproved forced permanent loan ...

JJS is offline Need not agree, but call it like it is..
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys rent your water heaters??
    1997 Dodge Ram
    2005 Silver 300C
    2009 Lexus ES350

Streetsville (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Yes. I have no idea why, but that's pretty much how it's done most of the time when they build new houses.

I guess we could ask for the rental to be removed and purchase one, but it's just one of those things...it's about $20 a month on the gas bill. I guess if we planned on living here forever we would do that, but otherwise it would be a waste of money to buy one and pay to have it installed, because if we move we'd be right back renting one again, most likely.

-=FLEX=-

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, what's up with that? Renting it sounds like a scam to me. At $20/mo, your payback on buying one would only be around 24 months (depending on model) and the things last for a minimum of 10 years. Plus, they are incredibly easy to install.
    " Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle"

Post Thanks / Like
    Paid for ours right from the purchase of the house, but i am now debating a tankless water heater,hmm..

Post Thanks / Like
    So do you guys also have rent your crappers too??.
    From wild to extra wild we got you covered with crap ya never knew you needed.

The first 6.1 transformation and it all went down hill from there.

08 route 66 burnout champion 07 Shindig 6.1NA winner. Willow Springs 1:42!!. 11.796 @ 117mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum P.I View Post
    Paid for ours right from the purchase of the house, but i am now debating a tankless water heater,hmm..
    Depending on the size of your house you may want to look at a couple of smaller localized tankless heaters.

Tankless are most efficient when they are considered in the design or renovation of a house. Not so much when a large tankless unit is just plopped into the spot of the tanked heater.
    2006 Inferno Red Charger R/T|Zoomers|C&L Intake|Retro Mag 500 Wheels|Pedders Touring Plus w/ adjustable camber|General Grabber UHP 255/55/18|Flat Black Daytona Grille|BT Catch Can|SRT-8 Rear Diffuser|Mopar Chin Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    So do you guys also have rent your crappers too??.
    No, those are leased on the "pay as you go" plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    What about sinks, do you rent those?

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Post Thanks / Like

Heard everything?

That shocked me, too. I bought one about 15 years ago and paid about $240 installed back then (it still works fine). 15yearsx12 monthsX$20=$3600. They are making a killing!.

It isn't easy being GREEN

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed a new one and installed it myself. Doesnt take much to cut power and water to it, empty the old one, then install the new one. Just a couple of hrs for the novice.
    WWW.DodgeMagnumGrille.com
    Quality.....Service.....Satisfaction

Makers of the "Original Honeycomb" & "True SRT" grilles for your SE,SXT or RT. Custom made grilles for your SRT Magnum also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, WTF (West Toronto fanatics) you doing? Letting our buddies south of the border into our secret rental scams?
    Denroy, careful buddy they are doing the door to door sales too.
    Men over 40: GO GET A PSA TEST DONE!
    http://lxcars.webs.com/hemihighwaykickoff2010.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum P.I View Post
    If you're electric, be advised they're a fairly large load... and like George said, a central one isn't so much efficient, you'd want one per bathroom, one for the kitchen.

I DRINK ROYAL PURPLE! WHAT NOW?!

> 2006 Silver SRT-8 magnum, adopted 9/9/06 with 36 miles, groups I, II, &III.
    * tinted LED Tails * Mopar Remote Start * Stainless Airhammer * Coated Kooks Longtubes * PPP Heads, Cam, and Converter * Alpine R10 Subs/AoN Enclosures * 20" Black AR 311's w/ Nitto 420's * Corsa cat-back * Front Window Tint * Ratman Hatch Button Mod * Hotchkis Sways * BT Underhood Bling * Polished Intake Manifold * Autodim Drivers Mirror *

Post Thanks / Like
    these new tankless water heaters are the way to go. Big energy savers. My old ma has one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread