Thread: Where to cut?

Post Thanks / Like

Where to cut?

Quick question. Where exactly do I cut the stock exhaust pipe? Im not sure if I measure back from the rear of the stock muffler or from the hanger just behind the muffler and how far back 6" or 8"? And would a normal hacksaw do the trick? What other tools might i need to do this at home?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been awhile since I had them on my ride but I marked the measurement from the muffler forward and them put the actual pipes up against it for a reasonableness check before I cut. If you are not 100% sure leave a little extra so you can always trim down after.

Hacksaw will work but a sawzall kicks a$$ . .I'm lazy . .give me power tools!.

5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'
    6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^+1. I'd measure it against the existing pipes and borrow someones sawzall if possible. With a hacksaw itll take a lot longer and be really tough to cut off if the car is only jacked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 210BLKCharger View Post
    Quick question. Where exactly do I cut the stock exhaust pipe? Im not sure if I measure back from the rear of the stock muffler or from the hanger just behind the muffler and how far back 6" or 8"? And would a normal hacksaw do the trick? What other tools might i need to do this at home?
    I assume your asking about a dual conversion kit? There is a hanger welded to the pipe behind the muffler, the hanger is tilted forward. From the bottom of the bracket measure back 6" toward the rear of the car.
    A hacksaw with a good blade will work, harbor freight has chain tubing cutters for $20, nothing beats a sawzall!

Post Thanks / Like
    if you don't have a sawz all you can also rent them at your local home depot.
    home depot also rents chain cutters which are specifically for cutting pipe and work really well.
    i rented one to cut a pipe in my basement drain and it took about two minutes so an exhaust pipe should be half the time and with a perfect clean cut.
    hope this helps out

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I will be ordering the 10db dual conversion V6 kit with the 3.5" ssr tips. I think I will rent or borrow a sawzall, don't want to struggle with a hacksaw. Bob, about how long for shipping would you say? I'm located in San Antonio, TX and want to order the kit so it will be home for me when I arrive. (I'm out of town right now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Soon to be another happy customer! I just placed my order a few hrs ago on a 10db 3.5" SSR tips for my 3.5 v6. Can't wait to install the pipes. I'm lookign forward to it Bob! Just to clarify from the bottom of the hanger, just behind the muffler, measure 6" back and make my mark and cut there? What size sockets should i need? I have a few incomplete tool sets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 210BLKCharger View Post
    Soon to be another happy customer! I just placed my order a few hrs ago on a 10db 3.5" SSR tips for my 3.5 v6. Can't wait to install the pipes. I'm lookign forward to it Bob! Just to clarify from the bottom of the hanger, just behind the muffler, measure 6" back and make my mark and cut there? What size sockets should i need? I have a few incomplete tool sets.
    15mm for the clamps, 13mm or 1/2" with an extension to unbolt the hangers.

Share This Thread