Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

low oil pressure in 2005 2.7L

I recently purchased an 05' Magnum with 100000 miles on it. The check oil light comes on when warmed up and at idle so I changed oil with 5w20 synthetic. Light still comes on, so I installed a new after market sending unit. Light still comes on, then I install manual oil gauge to verify pressure, it has over 80 psi until warmed up then drops to about 10 psi at idle, but hit the throttle and it jumps up to around 80. Problem is only at idle, I was told that the minimum pressure is 5psi. Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I am not even driving the car because I am scared to damage it. Thanks
    Last edited by elrj3; 10-17-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try posting on BITOG. Those people live and breathe motor oil.

Also do you know what normal oil pressure for this car is? I don't know, but if it's abnormal it might be that sludge is restricting the flow through one of the oil passages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a slideshow of a sludged up 2.7L engine. You can see the original thread here:
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...63#Post1446763

There is also this thread:
    http://www.sebringclub.net/board/vie...p?f=28&t=16113

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone here with the 2.7L V6 had the same issues with sludge as in the link?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having the exact same problem, I need help too, my magnum I just bought also has 100000 on the od and the oil light comes on only after it's warmed up and at idel
    #477 SUPER BEE
    Group 1,2,3, FLOWMASTER 40s, C&L intake, H&R coilovers, Long Tube header Catless 3" exhaust, Diablo tuner, 180 stat
    6000k HID hi/low projectors, 20%tint, Hurst shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    the 2.7 as of 2005 is different then the ones that had sludge issues. wish people would stop posting that crap.
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    it is the same engine, just revised.

the issue is oil pressure. 20w50 is pretty thick stuff. especially for an engine recommending 5w20.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    its the same but the sludge issue has been fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    could be a faulty light

also is there any codes

Post Thanks / Like
    im aware of the revisions, "fixed" is reasonably accurate. any engine can sludge if it is not cared for correctly. not saying this is the case on this car.

either way, if the oil pressure gauge is reading 10 psi at hot idle, id be checking with the 5w20 in it and a new filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    im having the same problem.. it started when i put a synthetic into it after a long time of being in just regular oil. I went to a shop and been told its just a pcv hose. light been out for a day and returned until now.. there is no significant changes in my driving and nothing wrong in my car as far as i know, just the engine light coming on everytime im in idle to come to a stop. no error codes too! this saturday i will go to a shop and flash my engine and lets see what happened. goodluck and let me know if u solve urs.
    05 Silver Magnum SE <= that's all i can afford =>
    Stock! Nothing Exciting! But.. got u-connect, homelink, NAV & VES, 18" R/T wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok guys.. my problem has been solved!

$25.50 from dealer and $30 from my mechanic.

check ur oil pressure switch! replace them and the light will not come on. When i went to the dealer to get the part? the parts guy ask me.. is this for the oil light that comes on when idle? i said YES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem still not fixed. Haven't driven car in almost a year, because of oil pressure. Have changed oil 3 times including filter. Still same problem. 2 new sending units installed, aftermarket first and now factory. This weekend I pulled the lower engine apart while in the car to replace oil pump, water pump, and gaskets with mopar parts. Over $300 in parts and about 25 hours. Inside block, oilpan, and valve covers are super clean. Replaced oil with 10w20 mobil 1 synthetic and mopar filter. I drove about 5 miles with it running great and when i pulled into driveway, same problem. Light came on again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by elrj3; 10-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elrj3 View Post
    Problem still not fixed. Haven't driven car in almost a year, because of oil pressure. Have changed oil 3 times including filter. Still same problem. 2 new sending units installed, aftermarket first and now factory. This weekend I pulled the lower engine apart while in the car to replace oil pump, water pump, and gaskets with mopar parts. Over $300 in parts and about 25 hours. Inside block, oilpan, and valve covers are super clean. Replaced oil with 10w20 mobil 1 synthetic and mopar filter. I drove about 5 miles with it running great and when i pulled into driveway, same problem. Light came on again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    are you getting a oil light flicker at idle after it's been warmed up or is on all the time? If you replace the oil sending unit the ONLY way to go one that is OEM mopar......i have had nothing but problems with the aftermarket oil sending units causing oil light flickers

Post Thanks / Like
    Light comes on at idle after warming up. Sending unit came straight from dealer. I believe my main or rod bearings are bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread