Post Thanks / Like

Resonated Tips = Resonators for state inspection?

I talked with a local exhaust shop today about removing the resonators from my '05 magnum (5.7). He told me that he'd do it if I wanted him to, but warned me that the car would not pass PA state inspection without them. If it comes from the factory with a piece of equipment, apparently you can only replace it with an aftermarket part but not eliminate it.

My question for the masses then is do resonated tips (ie Zoomer') qualify legally as a resonator to get the car through inspection?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,
    Sabooo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabooo
    If it comes from the factory with a piece of equipment, apparently you can only replace it with an aftermarket part but not eliminate it.
    sounds like bull***t to me. He wants to sell you another exhaust.
    Replacing the resonator with a straight through pipe IS an aftermarket part.
    Resonators are ONLY to get rid of drone because of the length of the exhaust, they don't really make it "louder" or softer.. that's the muffler's job.
    They have nothing to do with emissions, other than noise emissions. After markets system may or may not have resonators.

Your state is probably just using OBD to inspect cars after 1996 anyway, so if it passes the computer check, then it passes.

The only thing I could find at
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...75/s175.1.html
    is that the exhaust cannot be modified to be louder than the standards set in noise section.
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap157toc.html
    RadarmagneT
    2006 Red Charger R/T...
    Dynatech Header&Cats,Magnaflow, K&N, Hotchkis Sways, Diablo, NoESP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since, the last time I checked, resonantors don't do jack for emissions, I would say it is bull. As the only inspections we have here in PA are emissions and safety (and the removal of resonators does not make the car unsafe).
    Magnum Club Member #1053
    Procrastination is the key to flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about PA but here in NC its just not so. Needs cat and muffler and no leaks. Thats it. We do OBD2 and that won't fail that either. Do some more checking.
    WWW.DodgeMagnumGrille.com
    Quality.....Service.....Satisfaction

Makers of the "Original Honeycomb" & "True SRT" grilles for your SE,SXT or RT. Custom made grilles for your SRT Magnum also.

Post Thanks / Like
    In ma. I simply don't trust the Bostonians for what they will change next. I had a new flange welded onto the passenger side resonator and then removed them both (the drivers side had a flange) and had costom tail pipes bent in stainless with flowmaster tips that perfectly match the original stuff!! I have the resonators a in complete state if I need to put them back for state inspection. I have gotten nothing but compliments from every on that hears this set up. It is not LOUD but is audible. I expect no problems in the future.

Jim
    05 Magnum RT 5.7 (Member ALLPAR.com 200,000 mile club) Rockinsrt8 shifter, Hemi reg #164 325,000 miles
    Sidewinder, 6.1 pushrods, springs, underdrive pulley, SRT exhaust (donated by NHDave) headers to tips, all installed by Hemi31! Quaife, certain Pedders bushes installed, SRT Nivomats and Bilsteins. Police rotors and pads. HIR. Predator. LMI.

09 Jeep GC Limited, Hemi powered of course.

1:19 NJMP Lightning
    1:45 Mosport

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard Jim's setup. It sounds sweet!
    Patrick - Video: Racing in the Rain ........ Latest Mods..... 2015 Hellcat on its way!

"Racing is the best way to convert money into noise"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. He did try to sell me an entire Flowmaster setup while I was there, to which I declined politely.

I'll ask some inspection shops next to get some opinions there.

Post Thanks / Like
    WRONG!!! I've been through several states in my job and can tell you, the Northern States not only have emission testing...they have decible testing = sound.
    Remove the resonators, you will not pass.
    Don't buy the extremley overpriced Zoomers, buy pacesetter resonnator tips or have super turbos installed. Summit racing caries both.
    2005 Magnum R/T - Bad in Black. K&N CAI. Flowmaster, 20's, More comin'

2005 Durango Hemi Limited - Bad in Black. Volant CAI. Dynomax exhaust. Other "stuff".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAD
    WRONG!!! I've been through several states in my job and can tell you, the Northern States not only have emission testing...they have decible testing = sound.
    Don't buy the extremley overpriced Zoomers, buy pacesetter resonnator tips or have super turbos installed. Summit racing caries both.
    What is the acceptable decibel level?
    What decibel level is a charger with out the resonators?
    Because you can't answer the second question, you don't know a Charger without resonators will not pass?

Donít make broad claim like that without facts!
    2006 Charger RT w/Perf. Group Midnight Blue
    Mods
    1 BBK shorty Headers
    2 Bassani Cat-Back
    3 Diablo Preditor

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, technically you're right, but it is a useless and almost completely unenforced test from my experience. Also, and I am guessing a bit here, but I don't believe removing the resonators would be enough to fail sound levels as the mufflers do most of the "muffling". So, what about my wife's car with no resonators on it...will if fail? What about my 67 firebird on which the previous owners installed the most loud and obnoxious mufflers available (these do need to be changed), you guessed it...it has passed inspection at different stations several times.

Anyway, every state is different, and there is a decibel limit. In PA, it doesn't seem like it is enforced. Just look at all of the motorcycles that have pipes so loud your ears bleed.

Post Thanks / Like
    If a decibel test is the obstacle, just glass pack the pipes - run the test and pull out the glass packing when done!

We used to have some race tracks that decibel max levels. Most of the drivers used that little trick at some point.

Share This Thread